Thread: Looking for a good Gunsmith

Default Looking for a good Gunsmith

Hi guys:

My father had a Mauser action 7x57 built when we lived in Italy/Germany way back in the 50ís. This is a very nice gun with lots of inlay work; hair triggers and it had a Eagle Claw scope-mount system built for it by the same smith. Over the years the scope was lost and now I have the gun and mounting base but no Eagle claw rings.

Does any one have a suggestion as to where I can send this gun to have a good gunsmith build me the matching and missing claw mounts?

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Kotzebue

Default Claw Mounts

Claw mounts - no "eagle" - can be next to impossible to find in this country. I've did some research but haven't been able to accomplish too much. I've got a few scopes with claw mounts but they don't fit the bases on the pre-war gun I have. I'm not sure if there was ever any standardization of them or not.

New England Custom Firearms has some mounts from an outfit in Germany - I don't recall the name offhand. You can check them out. If you ever get into Anchorage we could try my scopes. You could also trace the outline of the bases and we could see if they are even close.

Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska View Post
    Hi guys:

My father had a Mauser action 7x57 built when we lived in Italy/Germany way back in the 50ís. This is a very nice gun with lots of inlay work; hair triggers and it had a Eagle Claw scope-mount system built for it by the same smith. Over the years the scope was lost and now I have the gun and mounting base but no Eagle claw rings.

Does any one have a suggestion as to where I can send this gun to have a good gunsmith build me the matching and missing claw mounts?

Walt
    Kotzebue
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

We use NECG to do the claw mount work for us. They use EAW or Recknagels or custom build them

Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska View Post
    Hi guys:

Walt
    Kotzebue
    http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/i....html~maindeal

But I think that the Talleys are better. http://www.talleyscoperings.com/

I can picture what this rifle looks like. Those early post war European sporters are all pretty similar and while it may have sentimental value you will pay more than what the gun is worth to have proper claw mounts fitted. Best quality claw mounts with bases will run over $1000 to fit. You already have the bases on the rifle, but I would expect to pay $500 or more to have rings fitted by someone who knows what they are doing. Check this website for gunsmiths who can be trusted to do quality work: www.acgg.org