Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time out in the new Seawolf!

Default First time out in the new Seawolf!

Well I guess I beat most of you out on the water this year. I just got back from 5 days in La Conner, Washington taking delivery and running my boat around. The plan is to do one more trip like this in March and then run it up the Inside Passage as far as Juneau in May. From there it will go on the ferry to Whittier. It is a Seawolf 31 with a Volvo Penta D6 along with a Yamaha 9.9HP kicker for trolling.

The builder really went through the boat before I got it, so it worked quite well from the start. The main issue I am still having is the fuel gauge is still not reading right, which the Volvo dealer will be fixing in the coming weeks (their second try at it).

We were doing performance tests with Coastal Marine, the engine supplier when we got chased down by the Coast Guard for a safety check. We were running at near full speed when I heard what I thought was an engine alarm, but it was really the siren on the Coast Guard boat.

The numbers came out really good. Top speed is 38kts (44mph) and it cruises very nice at 26kts (30mph) at 9gph, which equates to 3.3 statute miles per gallon. I am quite pleased with this performance for a 12,000 lb boat. Unfortunately I only had my camera phone along so the pictures from this trip are pretty limited, but I did post a full series of pictures of the build process at http://www.aluminumalloyboats.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1056&start=0.

Hopefully I will have it in PWS in time for one of the group get-togethers this summer.

Jim

Those are some great numbers, Jim. Look forward to seeing her out on the Sound!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Those are some great numbers, Jim. Look forward to seeing her out on the Sound!
    Very nice! I am very impressed with the numbers.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I just got some better pictures from the Seawolf from the seatrials. I was regretting not getting any pictures of the boat underway.

And here are some better interior shots:

Jim

That's a beautiful boat.

FWW, I brought my 30' SeaSport Voyager up thru the Inside Passage to Juneau in 2006. Be happy to share my experiences/suggestions if you think that would be helpful to you.

Helluva good looking boat. Great speed/fuel usage, too.

Default What a beaut!

Drool! Don't blame you a bit for filling the bragging board with those pictures, looks like a quality ride and you are getting great performance numbers!

We boat out of Valdez, eastern sound, so don't know if I'll see you on the water, but if I do, prepare for boarding!

Cap'n Ron
    Last edited by Cap'n Ron; 02-16-2009 at 19:39. Reason: Senior moment on east/west!

Very Nice
    Is that a propane tank in the cockpit? What type of heat do you have?

Ron,

With my old boat I never got to the Valdez side, but I suspect that this will change.

Homer,

Yes, it is propane. At this point it is for the stovetop. I am thinking about running a fitting to the back so that I don't have to carry additional canisters for the BBQ. The main furnace for the cabin is a Webasco on a thermostat. I also have a hi/low blower for cabin heat off the engine as well as a blower for engine heat to the windows for defrost.

Jim

Default fantastic mileage!

Very nice...extra cup of coffee over your build posts this morning. That company wasted no time getting your boat built for you. Good to know for the future.

Is that the door to the head across from your pilot station?

Is your davit set up to hoist the raft to the roof?

I like the fact that you have the same style of window all the way around.

Will look for you in Seward once you get her home.

very nice looking boat! congrats.

VERY NICE, thanks for showing the pics.!

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle Builder View Post
    Very nice...extra cup of coffee over your build posts this morning. That company wasted no time getting your boat built for you. Good to know for the future.

Is that the door to the head across from your pilot station?

Is your davit set up to hoist the raft to the roof?

I like the fact that you have the same style of window all the way around.

Will look for you in Seward once you get her home.
    Beetle,

Yes, that is the head across from the pilot station. You have to step down into it.

The davit is just for pulling pots. The builder put the pole hoders on the sides instead of the back like you often see. His reasoning is that the you can slide the dingy into the cockpit and into the water easily. I have a Jim King raft on order that is around 50 lbs, so I think I am OK without a davit. I plan on getting a Honda 2.5HP for it as well which I have a storage bracket for on the transom.

I opted out of bottom paint, which I think makes the boat a bit faster and more fuel efficient. We will see how much time I can leave it in the water before growth becomes a problem. I got one of the Hi-Tech aluminum trailers, which is quite a bit lighter and looks nice. I will know if that was a good decision or not by then end of summer.

Jim

Thumbs up

Very nice indeed Jim,

When is the open house (boat) for us envious Anchorage want-a-be big boat people. We really would like to see it when you get up here.

Congratulations

Very nice rig. When you are you taking us out for a test ride?

Default Wow

What a good looking boat. I cant take my eyes off the interior. And I thought I would be turning all the girls heads this summer with my new GC. Hope to see you in seward, I would love an up close view.

Default Fantastic

What an awesome boat. Sounds like you were in on the whole process. What was that like? I knew of a few people in Kodiak that ordered Seawold and were thrilled with them.

The boat will be up here in late May due to me not wanting to do the Inside Passage before the fish get there. I have a slip in Seward, but I like going out of Whittier as well, so I expect that we will be in both places this summer. If you see me there or on the water or at the docks, feel free to come take a look. I definitely have the proud new father syndrome going on at this point.

As far as the build process, it was great. Stennar, the owner of Seawolf is very quality focused and watching every aspect of the boat building down to the last detail. His wife Crystal is great as well, and would send me pictures at least a couple of times a week on the progess. They are also very ethical, and everything they said they would do, they followed through with.

The only thing I am still on the fence with at this point is the motor choice. I could have gone up to their twin inboard boat or I could have gone to twin outboards on this boat. The one being built after me is going to have twin Suzuki 300's on it, although they have also built a 30' with twin Yamaha 200's that the owner says does fine with this amount of power. Time will tell on how much I like my engine choice.

Jim
    Last edited by jrogers; 02-17-2009 at 09:51. Reason: typos

Very nice looking rig, good luck with it. Now before you leave Seattle make sure you get a pyrometer(exhaust temp gauge) installed on that engine, insist on it from Coastal and don't let them talk you out of it.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast