Thread: 5 Yr Olds first rabbits....!

Default 5 Yr Olds first rabbits....!

Did a trip up the road a ways this past weekend and my 5 year old got his first hares, four of them actually. Shot all by himself, kids got amazing eye sight, was afraid i'd have to sit there for ever trying to point them out but he saw them usually same time i did!
    he's got a little rossi .22 with a fastfire red dot sight on it, really simplifies it for kids and gets them shooting pretty stinking good...quick.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Right on Jake, you gotta be a proud dad with your boy able to already almost out spot ya. Maybe in a few years he'll have to be the one spotting the big brownies and dad will only have to be there for the skinning and to be the sherpa.

Congratulations but in a few years I think it's suppose to be turned around he's there for the skinning and being a sherpa your there to pull the trigger that's how I thought it was suppose to work. I may be wrong because I'm not a father yet but that's how my dad works it. Congrats to your boy and yourself for getting him out there and letting him experience hunting

Jake

shoot, the way he spots these hares finding bears will be a piece of cake for him! I could use the sherpa too...already got him on protien shakes and a weight/cardo workout(kidding). He's 5 years old and 55lbs, made of bricks that kid is. Tons of fun, who'd have thought a little kid gigglin' while trying to shoot his first rabbit would bring tears to a grown mans eyes...what a day!
    Master guide 212

Great job with the kids Jake.

You'll probably need to add a signature to his picture:

"Does this Rossi .22 make my butt look big".

Thumbs up

that is too much fun!!!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

lol thanks dean....but we don't say butt, we say bottom...lol
    Master guide 212

I'll accept bottoms, was actually thinking buns, but thought he'd want to be like the ol' man.

buns...lol this must be the small game forum!!
    Master guide 212

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Did a trip up the road a ways this past weekend and my 5 year old got his first hares, four of them actually. Shot all by himself, kids got amazing eye sight, was afraid i'd have to sit there for ever trying to point them out but he saw them usually same time i did!
    he's got a little rossi .22 with a fastfire red dot sight on it, really simplifies it for kids and gets them shooting pretty stinking good...quick.
    Great picture !!!!! Nothing I like seeing better than a youngster out hunting. BRWNBR you got a future and present hunter there keep up the great work and congrats to the youngster

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." John Wayne

awesome job there with the youngster and all them hares . He looks really proud..
    LOVE MY LITTLE SKULL CLEANERS

Thats awesome. I cant wait till I can post a pic like that of my Daughter! Wont be long now and hell be standing by his first bear!

BRWNBR: That pic of ur young fella is priceless! That is something that should be on the front of a hunting magazine or a photo of alaskan living. I like your idea of using a small red dot for kids. I'm def. going to try that for my kids. It just makes good sense. No recoil from the 22, and no iron sights for the youngster to try and align. Good job, that young fella will be your hunting buddy for life!

Quote Originally Posted by catchfish View Post
    Congratulations but in a few years I think it's suppose to be turned around he's there for the skinning and being a sherpa your there to pull the trigger that's how I thought it was suppose to work. I may be wrong because I'm not a father yet but that's how my dad works it. Congrats to your boy and yourself for getting him out there and letting him experience hunting

Jake
    I agree, this is why we have sons-to do the heavy work-see my album entitled Montana hunt
    NRA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Thats awesome. I cant wait till I can post a pic like that of my Daughter! Wont be long now and hell be standing by his first bear!
    I can say from my experience, when my daughters were young they were much better hunters than my sons. They would be still and quiet when necessary, more disciplined and obedient. My oldest daughter now hunts whitetails with her bow on her own Treasure this time with your daughter Matt.
    NRA Lifetime Member

i'll be a sobbin' mess when he cranks his first bear!! wow hope to get those big game ones on video for ever, that'd be super cool. i'm thinking deer on kodiak here in about a year or two, maybe take him along next year and then the year after let him shoot, he'll be seven then and if we practice, i think he'll be ready. he's got a .243 barrel for that little gun of his!
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    i'll be a sobbin' mess when he cranks his first bear!! wow hope to get those big game ones on video for ever, that'd be super cool. i'm thinking deer on kodiak here in about a year or two, maybe take him along next year and then the year after let him shoot, he'll be seven then and if we practice, i think he'll be ready. he's got a .243 barrel for that little gun of his!
    That wouldn't be the Rossi Trifecta you got him, would it? 22, 410, 243? I wanna get my boy one for next year (turns 5 next Jan). How do you like it so far, if so?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

ya it is the trifecta, its a .22 and .243 and 20 ga, the .410 is to small of frame to fit the 243.
    i love it, saftey is great, and when the safteys off you can slip the hammer and the gun don't go off, so thats nice, cause sometimes my boy can't get it cocked right and it slips forward, but don't go off even on fire.
    LOP is a little long for him, i took the recoil pad off and it fits about perfect right now. its about 5lbs with the .22 barrel on, but really straight forward and simple and shoots really nice. i love it. and he does too.
    So only thing i'd like to change is the lenght of pull...shorten it up a bit. but oh well, took the pad off and now he can grow with it.
    Master guide 212

Taking the kids and letting them participate is the best way to teach.
    We gave them each a .22 single shot for their 5th birhdays. A pistol at 12, and the rest come as we can afford it and that they can handle the rifle itsself.
    The oldest son had an 870 12 gauge when he was 10.
    .243 is an excellent "Girls" round..~LOL!~
    I have 5 girls, and they can shoot all day long....

I get a Marlin "Youth" single shot .22 and I shorten them a bit, slim them up, give them a sling and make sure the sights are on.

Then I take them along and gradualy let them participate, untill I can turn them loose on their own.

I have a Stevens Modle 120 to fit to my 3 year old in a couple years.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default Five girls

Way to go stangerinastrangeland. Beautiful daughters.