Thread: argo 6 or 8 wheels ?

Question argo 6 or 8 wheels ?

hey guys would like to get info on the argo 6 or 8 wheeler no tracks ?
    pros and cons of each .any info good info.
    thanks
    up wind

Default What ya wanta know ?

What you need to know ? I have many argos all 8 wheeled some tracked some not . Also depends on what 8 wheeled you are looking at ? Response , Conquest, Avenger..... 8 wheel has more load room and can handle more gear , I love the super tracks on my personal hunting argo ,Runs across muskeg like a hard packed trail , If you deside not to get tracks get the knobby tire option , You can only run tracks on an argo with the paddle tires, Not sure about the new Avenger ??? I have 1 Response and 4 Conquests, Waiting another year before I upgrade to the Avengers. If you are interested Mountain Magic here in Talkeetna has a response 8x8 argo full top with curatain ,Windsheild, winch 138 hours $6,000 Looks great chain are good I jacked it up wheels are solid no rubs.

The only thing I do not like about the Response is the Briggs engine in it also the Response does not come with a bottom skid guard like the Avenger and conquest , It is also air cooled the other 2 are liquid cooled. I can not vouch for the 6x6 I never owned one only 8x8, And they are not as bad on maint. as some people say My personal argo 2001 has 500 hrs on it and the only thing major I had to do and I did it last weekend was rebuild the carb, also changed out a chain , brake caliper, I do go thru a set of pads during the summer months.

I change the bearing out every spring because the super tracks are hard on those wheel extensions
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Roger; 10-08-2006 at 23:56. Reason: Can not spell (SMILE)

Quote Originally Posted by up wind View Post
    hey guys would like to get info on the argo 6 or 8 wheeler no tracks ?
    pros and cons of each .any info good info.
    thanks
    up wind
    one more question briggs stratton or kohler?
    thanks roger for youre info.

Default ??????

Never had a problem a problem with either..
    I do not like the Briggs because of the lawn mower sound...But you can pull start the Response (Briggs) if your battery dies , Your S.O.L if you are alone in your conquest, That why I carry a quick jump with me when we hunt because we go in 40 plus miles during moose season and hardly ever see a person.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Never had a problem a problem with either..
    I do not like the Briggs because of the lawn mower sound...But you can pull start the Response (Briggs) if your battery dies , Your S.O.L if you are alone in your conquest......
    That's why I like the Briggs. The pull start has already saved my butt once.

I had sunk my Response (too steep an entry into the water). The winch wouldn't work. I had to leave it there overnight. The next day I returned with a come-along and 100' of 1/2" rope to yank it out backwards. I drained the tub, drained the tranny and crankcase into a gallon zip-lock, pulled the plugs, and ran the starter until the spray stopped coming out of the cylinders. Changed the fuel filter and siphon-bled the fuel line a bit. Pulled the top off the carburetor, swabbed out the bowl, and poured fresh gas in. Refilled the tranny and crankcase, put the plugs back in, and started it.

I had to start/run a while before the sputtering and weakness went away. My battery eventually lost it's ability to start the engine from a dead stop, however, if I held the switch and pulled the cord simultaneously, the starter could continue the spinning. Eventually the fuel system purged itself, and the thing ran. I drove it out.

Since then I've had some carburetor problems (should have solved that last night with a carb rebuilding). I also had those diode wires that kill the engine when you turn the key off go bad. But other than that, it has run great.

No doubt, though, it is loud, and it sounds like a lawn mower.

MARK
    Very good point..Up Wind I forgot to mention this ,I just do it everytime I go into the water at a steep angle, I always go in BACKWARDS ,That way you will not flood as the back end will float since it is lighter (Unless you have a trailer), Also make sure you put in a bilge pump I have them in all of mine
    Attached Images Attached Images

Upwind:
    The new Avenger for 2007 will have as an option a fuel injected engine which will end carb problems. It will have more HP too. The tracks make all the difference when it comes to deep mud or soft terrain the only drawback being it won't go well in water unless you use an outboard. Explore the prior posts on the Argos for more info.

Smile thanks for all the good info

i think you guys gave me some great insight im going look fora eight
    wheeled argo with tracks ,because i do like to hunt moose carbou
    and the farther iget away from other people the better, so as soon
    as i sell my four wheeler and boat should be able to get a good used
    one .