Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Russian Wolf Ammo

Default Opinions on Russian Wolf Ammo

I've been reading some mixed reviews on the Russian Wolf Ammo, primarily the 5.56/.223 rounds. Seems some folks don't have any issues with it where others have, mainly due to the anti-corrosive material gumming up the chamber. I reckon to prevent such gumming up would be to simply clean the weapon after every shoot.

I would appreciate anyone's insight/experience with this brand of ammo.

Thanks in advance...
    America...land of the free, home of the brave and infiltrated by the blind & naive.

Psalms 109:8

Thumbs down

I wouldn't touch the stuff with a 10' pole. And it will never be fired through my Colt... unless it was the last ammo on Earth and we were in the fight of our lives.

Terrible stuff. Extremely dirty. Very corrosive. And the cost savings over real ammo doesn't even touch the increased wear & tear on your gun, nor the headaches with cleaning up after it.

YMMV
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default It's fine...

Been shooting Wolf ammo for years. It's dirty and does require a good cleaning afterwards. But it's cheap and fun to shoot. Not the most accurate ammo either.
    If you want to go out and make alot of noise and have fun shooting w/out spending alot of $ it's just fine.
    Never had a problem with any of it. I've shot the 7.62, .223, and .40 cal's w/out any issues.
    BK

My AK loves it.

Ron

My sks loves the 7,62x39. my AR hates the 223. Yes is dirty ammo

dirty? yes. corrosive? no. i have shot a lot of this stuff through my AR with no issues. its not the most accurate stuff in the world, and if you can live with that, then you will have no issues.

Appreciate the opinions & experience, Fellas. I picked up 100 rds from a buddy and figured in using it only to sight in my scope & iron sights...then that would be the end of the Wolf ammo.

Thanks again...
    America...land of the free, home of the brave and infiltrated by the blind & naive.

I have used the Wolf .223. It is not accurate enough to use to critically sight in your scope and sights. It is for plinking only and then clean the rifle well as it is dirty.

Default dirty wolf

I've tried Wolf shotgun shells...as nearly everyone has mentioned...they're very dirty. Not well sealed at all either--I wonder if they'd even shoot if they got wet. I wouldn't use them unless that's all I had available. I'd stick with the big 3--Federal,Remington,or Winchester.

Most of the Wolf can't be reloaded either due to the steel case. One reason I tend to shy away from these rounds unless it's all I can get my hands on.

Quote Originally Posted by windypoint View Post
    I have used the Wolf .223. It is not accurate enough to use to critically sight in your scope and sights. It is for plinking only and then clean the rifle well as it is dirty.
    Roger that...

Anybody want to buy 100 rds of 5.56mm Wolf Ammo real cheap? >LOL<

Default wont use it

I have a delton ar and they state on their web page use of this ammo voids warranty. Hillbilly

Ive used several hundred rounds of Wolf 45 acp over the last couple of years. It all worked OK with no misfires or other problems. It's a bit dirty as others have said but you got to clean the gun regardless of what your shooting. So it's really no extra work after a fun shooting session. Accuracy was actually pretty good.

Default I used .22 ammo...Once...

Shot at a squirel & the danged squirel just jumped & ran away, I know I hit the dangumed lil squirl too...

I shoot it through my SKS basically because its great to plink with and its cheap. If I had a $1000 AR I wouldn't use it. But my SKS all bubba'd up is like $300 bucks total. It can take a beating!

schmidty

Clean the gun no matter what you shoot through it. Thats very basic.

I wouldnt hunt with any rifle that was ammo finicky because I live where the weather gets rather extreame, wet and cold.

Probly wouldnt own it oif I couldnt shoot it, but there are exceptions, such as my Imperial Russian 1876 berdan II Carbine, but Wolf dosent have a load for that...yet....LOL!

Accuracy wise, its good to 250 yards, no problems. Not Biatholon stuff, but good enough to hunt with. Some runafoul with bullet weights and rifling twist, so know if you need to buy heavy62gr. or light ball55gr.That can reall make a difference in accuracy.

I stock plenty of 55gr..223 and it works great in my AKs, and guys who use it in their Mini-14s buy more, as well as bolt guns.We order bulk together and get alot.
    Some people do not clean their chambers well, and the poly coat on the steel case glues its self to the chamber when the hot chamberd case cools and solidifys to the rust, pits and crap thats built up after being pushed/refluxed in from the bore and then shot on and pressed into building up....or not removed as part of the cleaning process....can't just run a rod down the barrel, gotta clean that chamber,too.

Clean your gun, enjoy the ammo.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Older Wolf ammo had a plastic coating on it that would melt and make a total mess of your chamber. That has since went away i am told. That being said friends dont let friends shoot Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Clean the gun no matter what you shoot through it. Thats very basic.
    That's common practice for me right after a shoot. Just trying to get info on this ammo I've never used before after having read/heard various stories.

Again, thanks for the feedback...

Default Wolf and Bushmaster

I have fired several hundred rounds in my Bushmaster without any problems. It is a little dirty and the new stuff does not have the plastic coating (very good). I have tried all the different types of Wolf 223 and the 55gr fmj in the camo box is actually pretty acurate. When sighting in I usually use Federal American Eagle 55gr FMJ it is the most acurate for the price.

Decided to shoot the Wolf .223 ammo given to me and, well....it's pretty dang dirty all right! Only popped off 60 rds and after cleaning the rifle it looked like I fired multiple times without cleaning it. After giving it a thorough bore cleaning, it took roughly 20-30 cleaning pads before there wasn't a hint of powder residue. I've never seen an AR-15 or M-16 get so dirty with so few rounds fired. Sorry, Wolf...I tried and don't like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast