Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PWS Halibut Depth

Default PWS Halibut Depth

Over the past few years, I've had various guys tell me that to be successful in PWS you have to be willing to fish in 800 - 900 feet for Halibut. The deepest I have ever gone was about 400'.

What have you guys heard?

I've had most of my success at about 140-175 feet. It took a little bit of soaking bait.

I had never fished PWS til last year. I tried depths from 250' to 40' with only a couple small bites. I fished around crafton island and the south side of Perry island. I had heard from a guy that used to long line out there, and he said 600' was a good depth, too deep for me.

I have caught the majority of my PWS halibut in the 120-190 ft range. They're out there, the trick is putting in the time to find the true honey holes. I've got two of them out there that consistently produce 20-40 pounders from May thru September.

Default Past

In the past eight years of fishing PWS I usually fish 200-400 feet. It all depends on the structure in the area. Out near Glacier I have a hole that constantly produces at 200. One area I have to go 325 to 350. I feel structure is more important than depth.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I'm with Dave. Usually its been 250-300 feer. Last year it was about 350, the deepest we ever had to fish. I have fished in 800 feet with an electric reel, didn't catch anything.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

120 to 200 for me as well. with the right setup i wouldnt mind fishing 600 feet for consistent halibut action. i just wish i had a spot closer than the 90 mile from whittier spot that i fish.

Ditto on the structure. My favorite spot where I pull on fish 20# to 140# is in 80 feet of water, but drops off to 120. On the same spot I also catch plenty of rockfish on jigs...so stucture is the key so the fish have a place to ambush their prey.

So....what kind of structure do you guys fish on? If you don't mind me asking. Thanks...
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

rock outcroppings, kelp beds, reefs, or drop offs. If you find any of that structure and you find the bait, you'll find fish. Also take into account for tides and current, some places produce better on floods and some produce better on ebbs. I fish more of the south portion of the sound in water from 40'-200' ( all depends on time of year and tides). good luck

I like to find rock piles. Also sand bar. I know of one good one that if you fish it at the right time it can be a very good day.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I've done well in 80 feet and 60 feet its about the structure and current not the depth
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default 40-120'

Caught our two biggest last year in 45' of water. Our other hole is 120' and produces a variety of fish.
    BK

Just started fishing the sound last year but caught a 100lb butt in 80 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I've done well in 80 feet and 60 feet its about the structure and current not the depth
    Exactly. There isn't alot of great halibut habitat in PWS so if you do find a good spot, make a note of it because there aren't many there.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I tend to look for structure that appears within my target depths between 100-200 ft. The best types of structure I have found in PWS tend to be either the slopes off of points or elevated rock or mud coming out of deeper waters. So I guess this means that I look for both structure and depth, which has proved pretty productive for me. The spots are harder to find out in the sound, but once you key in on them, you'll be having a pretty good time.

I know this isn't what you're looking for, but having grown up on a longliner in the Sound, our best spots were between 1,600-2,000 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I know this isn't what you're looking for, but having grown up on a longliner in the Sound, our best spots were between 1,600-2,000 feet.
    While this may be true, us sport fishing types would look like this fellow if we were to be cranking up our fish from that kind of depth...

I often wondered about Butts between Lone and Naked Island with the processors out there. Problem, it's 2900ft!

My wife (the Admiral) has often mentioned cement shoes..................

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    I often wondered about Butts between Lone and Naked Island with the processors out there. Problem, it's 2900ft!
    Those depths hold a few halibut, but are mostly targeted by longliners for sablefish (black cod). There are some really nice sized sablefish down there if you could find an electric reel that'll hold 3,000' of line.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast