Thread: Bear hunters check this out

Default Bear hunters check this out

Found this pic on the web today......looks like a huge bruin! (it's not me...wish it was!!)

AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

The bear is real, but all the claims of "Largest ever" and "he had the parts of 3 people in him" and "It took 20 shots to kill it" all come from an urban legend that started a year or 2 ago.

While the bear was indeed huge, it did not break any records. The young man that killed it was from Eielson AFB.

that thing just won't die will it...bear was 10'4" i belive and ended up 151st in the BC book for all time. shot on hitchenbrook, with a .338 three shots if i remember right and its all legal. just another nice bear...that got dead.

Default ok, old photo then

I take it this has been around for a while? I just ran across it today and hadn't seen it before. Didn't know there were stories and legends to go with it! Nice bear tho.
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Urban Legend

This story has been boomeranging around the 'net for a while now. You can read the details on it on the snopes.com site, but I'm not going to post the link here. There was another photo associated with this involving partially-consumed human remains, but that was also part of the hoax. Pretty gruesome. It was a big bear, but no 12-footer.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Hinchinbrook Bear

BRWNBR is as correct as correct gets...

10'4" from Hinchinbrook, three shots with a .338, shot by an EAFB man. Good bear, I'd love to have been the one who took it.

Default Not again

I worked with the guy and saw the skull of this bear. Nice bear and at first there was alot of hype about it until it was scored. I think after drying the skull went around 28 or so and it squared at 10' I believe. It was a nice bear but I think this has been going around the net for 4-5 years now. Will it ever end?

Default ??? Where did the post go?

With the ADN story? I just got done reading it and went to reply and *poof* it was gone. Anyway thanks to whoever did the research and posted (momentarily) the real story. I didn't realize the photo had been around for 5 years! Thought it was a cool pic tho.

Congrats to the hunter (5 yrs late!)
    AKmud

Exclamation Disappearing posts

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud
    With the ADN story? I just got done reading it and went to reply and *poof* it was gone. Anyway thanks to whoever did the research and posted (momentarily) the real story. I didn't realize the photo had been around for 5 years! Thought it was a cool pic tho.

Congrats to the hunter (5 yrs late!)
    It was a copyrighted story...we can't reproduce those here. I encouraged the poster to provide a short summary and a quote or two and a hyperlink to the story.

David

Thumbs up Bear

It was killed by a Airman from Ellision AFB back in 2000 or 2001 it was a good 10' bear.......alot of tall tales on net! Still a good bear for a young hunter!