Thread: Best topo program

Default Best topo program

I have a Garmin 60csx and want to put a topo(just alaska) program on it. Ive looked at the garmin software but am not sure the difference between the garmin mapsource cd or the memory card type that cabelas has. I know a while back somone mentioned another brand but i cant remember what it was? Any ideas? Hillbilly

The CD allows you to download up to a specific point of how much memory your Garmin has. The chip card has the entire state on it. I think the chip card is the better deal if you are looking for just Alaska. The CD gives you the entire US. If I remember right the chip also has the nautical information. The chip is a good deal. Of course I have both.

The computer based TOPO 2008 (comes on a data DVD) has the entire country in USGS topographical maps. You pick the sections you want in your GPS and can download them. You can change them around whenever you want and you can fit the whole country on one big SD memory card if you want. It comes with the MapSource program which does much more than just transfer the maps to your GPS. Retail is $116, but you can usually get it much cheaper online (e.g. Amazon.com).

Or, you can buy the preloaded SD card, Alaska TOPO 2007. It is the same 1:100,000 USGS maps as above, but only includes Alaska. You do not get the MapSource software and you cannot change the maps. It costs $86 for this card. It does not have bluechart information for waterways, just the same stuff that the regular TOPO maps include, plus all the normal Garmin POIs.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default topo

So the cd has more options. i would want the bluechart for waterways. How much of alaska can i get on the standard 64 mg card that comes with the gps? Hillbilly

I'd have to verify with Mapsource, but I believe you'll be able to get the entire state on a 64MB card. I was able to fit the entire Cook Inlet region from Kodiak up, plus PWS to Cordova, plus everything around the highway "triangle" up to Fairbanks, and the entire haul road to Prudhoe, all on the 24MB of internal memory on my old eTrex Vista. Now I have the 76CSx with SD cards and the 2GB card will hold the entire country.

As for Bluechart stuff, now you're talking real money. The chart coverage areas are much smaller than land areas. To get total coverage of Alaska will take either a half dozen pre-programmed SD cards, or the Americas CD-ROM with several map unlock codes. The CD starts at about $150 plus a fee to unlock additional maps. The SD cards run about $160 each.

See the following for Garmin's Bluechart coverage of Alaska...

http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/b...RegionPK=25376
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Personally there is no way I would waste the money on getting the chip. If it ever breaks you are out where as if you have it on a computer and store the disk you have multiple redundant storage of you software. I use the mapsource far more on my computer than I do on my GPS! I do all my trip planing and route layout on the computer and then upload them to the GPS. Today I wouldn't worry about the cost of the sd chip. They are dirt cheap anymore! I have a 2 gig in mind and will never run out of space just using it for maps. There is also a way to load blue charts and topo on to one card so you can switch back and forth, though I have not set one up that way. With the cards you have to pull them out and swap em! Little cards are easy to lose!
    That is my take.

Default Thanks for the help

Thanks fellas for all the help. Hillbilly

All of Alaska takes 183.3 MB. 1422 map segments.
    You can load up to 2025 map segment in a 60CSX.
    doug