Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Galena to the Koyukuk

Default Galena to the Koyukuk

I am going to be hunting moose on the Koyukuk this fall. I have done the trip before. I am looking at a couple different options of how to get there. Does anyone know if you can rent a boat in Galena? How about a transporter? How much of a load can they carry? Say we get 3 moose can they take that much out? Thanks for any help.

Default Charlie Green

I would give Charlie Green in Galena a call. I have not used his service, but have heard nothing but good things about him. His number is 907-656-1601. He will put you where the moose are.

Ya, you can rent a boat from Charlie and he'll do you right. Last year he was charging $3,000/person for transport and boat rental. You have to pay for the gas that you will be using for your boat, but he provides the drums (as many as you need) and as far as weight goes, he'll take it regardless. A buddy and me used him last year and had a great trip, tagged out and saw some very beautiful country to boot. It's not cheap (not to mention the fact that gas in Galena last Sept. was $7.00/gal. and we used 120 gallons) but was definitely worth it for us. We had a great time, and like I said, Charlie did us right and is a good guy.

Cannery Creek Hatchery, Prince William Sound

Does charlie have a web page?

Default Ha ha!

Heck no. Phone only.

Might see what Joe Shuster can do for you too. He has a website. Just Google his name. Tell him you have your own gear and don't need the "outfitted camp" set up.

Default You could also

try PJ Simon at: native_guy@hotmail.com

One more maybe. John Stam 907-656-1401

Good luck up there. We wanna see pics or video!

I am curious I will hopefully draw Koyukuk eventually - I have all hunting gear but would want to rent a boat in Galena, $3k each seems steep, I would think $2k max for a boat/motor/boat gear for 10 days somewere?

Is there possible another place to rent a little further but cheaper?

Default Buy a boat.

Ok hear me out. I put together a boat just for this purpose. Permit or not, I'm going to the Koyukuk! For the price I paid for the boat to take us from the bridge to Koyukuk and back, I could have gone 3-4 times with a transporter. I plan on going more than that so the money spent on the boat was the cheapest way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by DonV View Post
    I am curious I will hopefully draw Koyukuk eventually - I have all hunting gear but would want to rent a boat in Galena, $3k each seems steep, I would think $2k max for a boat/motor/boat gear for 10 days somewere?

Is there possible another place to rent a little further but cheaper?
    Ya gotta pay to play. Shuster will fly you in (if your outside the KCUA) for around $6,000/person this includes outfitting and that's the only way he'll do it. Like jtm9 said "buy a boat" if you do this trip a few times it will pay for itself.

I hear great stuff about Shuster too but $12k for two of us is not happening, if for nothing else just principal. I can get a lot of nice gear for that. I live in Ohio and a boat in AK is not practical.

Shuster is actually charging $6250.00/person this year, that's up from $5750.00 last year. As far as how good his service is, I've heard very mixed reviews. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal (for what you get) than Charley Green's service. He has several boats in different sizes/configurations that he will rent out for the same price, and his service is top notch. Hunting in Alaska is expensive compaired to lower 48 prices, even more so for non-resident hunters unless you have some good connections. If your planning on coming up here to do a remote hunt and have no connections, the first thing you should pack is a fully loaded wallet. On a good note though, sometimes you do get what you play for.

If a guy was to take a boat down the Yukon river to Galena, would it be closer to put in at Manley Hot Springs and run down the Tanana to the Yukon vs. putting in the Yukon at the Haul road??...My sons and I have Moose tags for the Koyukuk area and was thinking of just running a boat down there?......THX for any help!

ttt

I've been wondering the same thing. (what is the shortest and/or best route ?). Also can I make the trip with a !5' Zodiak and 50 horse prop?

Default Sounds great

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salm View Post
    ttt

I've been wondering the same thing. (what is the shortest and/or best route ?). Also can I make the trip with a !5' Zodiak and 50 horse prop?
    Make sure you take a video camera to record your trip, because your going to have some great stories to tell.

It can be done. I ran a 16' Lund with a 40 horse from the mouth of the Yukon to the Dalton. At less than 30 mph you can do the math. I did it, it was an experience and I saw some great country...but man o' man was it boring at times.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I don't know if you can carry enough gas in a 15 foot zodiak to make it from one gas store to the next with all the gear you would need. And gas was $6.38 a gallon Sept 08 in Tananah.

Bridge to Tanana 130 miles, Manley to Tanana 70 miles, Fairbanks to Bridge 135 miles, and Fairbanks to Manley, I think, 145 miles. The Bridge to Tanana is the easiest route because the lack of sandbars like the Tanana River. The Yukon is very easy to navigate compared to the Tanana. Tanana to Ruby is 120 miles and Ruby to Galena is 50 miles.

I did not make the mileage clear on my last post. Fairbanks to Bridge on the haul road is 135 miles and Fairbanks to Manley on the haul road is 145.

In 2005, a friend and I used Yukon Eagle Air, however, Brownie is flying missions in Africa right now so he's not available. The only game in Galena for flights at the moment is Joe Schuster. We checked with Joe about transporting and told him we have our own gear and he wasn't interested at all. The cost was $6,250 for an outfitted hunt or $16,500 for a guided hunt. TOTALLY RIDICULOUS!!!

I met Joe at the airport when departing Galena and was asking him some questions and lets just say that he rubbed me the wrong way. I met some guys from Idaho who had just had a successful outfitted hunt with Joe and it wasn't their first time having success using Joe for an outfitted hunt. YMMV.

As a favor, Brownie got Joe to fly my friend last year and Joe was less than excited to help...no communication prior to the hunt; Joe only wanted to cater to guided clients; etc. In short, my buddy was at the bottom of the priority list even though he was paying Joe. My buddy has less than good opinions about Joe too from his experience.

If you want air transport, your going to see what the have nearby like McGrath or other bush communities, which are still a good ways away. In my opinion Joe charges what he charges and acts like he acts because he knows he knows he's the only game in town.

It's quite a shame that Brownie or no other transporters are located in Galena at the present moment because, in my opinion, they would make a better option than Joe. For what it is worth, I do hear good things about Charlie Green if renting a boat is an option that you would like.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Thumbs up Charlie Green

Good morning to you all.

I would definitely recommend Charlie Green if you were to hire a river transporter. I used his service a couple of years ago. He and his family treated my hunting buddy and me as if we were part of the family.

Sockeye Salm,

If you are traveling with a Zodaic and an outboard, you might consider flying your gear in to Galena. I would think it would be less expensive and definitely faster! 8^)

Regards,

yhc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast