Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North To Alaska

Default North To Alaska

I was watching a recent show where they were fishing with Kenai River Guide "SwiftWater Bill" Bill Toppa. If you watch the show, I notice there were 3 rods in the water. Bill had one of them.

Question: I thought it was illegal for a guide to fish while guiding?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I've noticed several discrepancies with regulations while watching North To Alaska over the years. I believe they have been fined a few times as well...

Default Extra rod

We see that a lot on fishing shows in the midwest were there is an extra rod or rods. Most of the time the camera man will be the mystery rod.

Default north to alaska

I saw the show this week and they did mention they were fishing on Sunday which is a no guide day. However, I believe Bill can go out for personal fishing with non paying guests on Sunday and fish.

Default Correct

Quote Originally Posted by wasabi_tuna View Post
    I saw the show this week and they did mention they were fishing on Sunday which is a no guide day. However, I believe Bill can go out for personal fishing with non paying guests on Sunday and fish.
    The regulations prohibit the guide from fishing while on a charter, however most tv fishing programs are not charters. The guide, can fish on his own time, even using the guide boat, however we are still restricted to using the registered guide boats to allowed guide times (if that makes sense). In other words, a guide can use his guide boat for personal fishing on Tuesday through Saturday, from 6:00 am to 6:00 pm.

I did not see the show, but if they were fishing on Sunday out of Bill's registered guide boat, that would be against the regulations. I really doubt that Bill would violate that regulation.

Cheers

If a guide was trading a fishing trip to have his name/company splashed on the TV, then I'd think it would qualify as a charter. Just my opinion..

Question

You are probably correct, but...........Anyways.....Lets move on.
    Last edited by frydaddy; 02-15-2009 at 19:18. Reason: judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    I've noticed several discrepancies with regulations while watching North To Alaska over the years. I believe they have been fined a few times as well...

Now if he wasn't paid to take them out them he is fine.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I'm not sure on this but are the regs the same for Silvers in August and Kings in July? They were fishing Silvers on the show.

Default The regs are not hte same

Quote Originally Posted by brackman47 View Post
    I'm not sure on this but are the regs the same for Silvers in August and Kings in July? They were fishing Silvers on the show.
    The only non-guide day in the fall, after king season, is Monday. So, for silvers in August Bill is perfectly within the law to take others fishing out of his registered guide boat if he is guiding or not. The time restrictions are also removed after king season. So, it becomes moot at this point.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfishguides View Post
    The regulations prohibit the guide from fishing while on a charter, however most tv fishing programs are not charters. The guide, can fish on his own time, even using the guide boat, however we are still restricted to using the registered guide boats to allowed guide times (if that makes sense). In other words, a guide can use his guide boat for personal fishing on Tuesday through Saturday, from 6:00 am to 6:00 pm.

I did not see the show, but if they were fishing on Sunday out of Bill's registered guide boat, that would be against the regulations. I really doubt that Bill would violate that regulation.

Cheers
    One thing wrong there, they were silver fishing, it would have been August or September when guides can fish on Sunday's.

Maybe the guides can chime in here.

I thought if you received anything in compensation for a charter you are guiding.

I'm guessing Csonka did not pay to fish but didn't Swiftwater Bill receive compensation in the form of advertising when he took them out silver fishing? Not only was his boat and business name displayed during the taping of the show, but at the end credits they ran all the contact information on how to get a hold of Swiftwater Bill.

Am I splitting hairs on this one? To me Swiftwater Bill was guiding and he shouldn't be fishing with clients.

Thumbs down gray area i think

I am a guide on the Kenai mostly and I think it sends the wrong message. Even if he was not paid, in my opinion, it looks bad. I have seen other fishing shows that pushed things also. One episode of Strike Zone shows the shows host catching more than 2 halibut......... To me it is just one more way for people to be driven to not "like" us (guides) very much.

It is a grey area... even if the guide was formally charged and the allegation was made that the advertising was "compensation" for the trip, it's a very valid counter-argument that the amount of compensation did not exceed a fair share of the expenses for the trip (ie: fuel, food, etc.)

Also, if the "compensation" was not REQUIRED to go out (ie: optional to the guests) then there's even less to consider it a charter... Seems the production credits and video editing to show the names and logos were very much at the discretion of the production company, and not "required compensation".

I've used my personal pleasure craft as a charter vessel for years here in SE. It's very common to have a guide and a few buddies out fishing on their own time. After all, a SPORT FISHING LICENSE is required to guide. When I buy that sport fishing license, aren't I entitled to sport fish?

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post
    When I buy that sport fishing license, aren't I entitled to sport fish?

-Case
    Yes, you are entitled to sport fish but not with clients.

Quote Originally Posted by tcman View Post
    Yes, you are entitled to sport fish but not with clients.
    Oh, but I never have clients on board now that I'm not a registered guide! Even if I were to re-register as a guide, the thread here is discussing guests who apparently did not pay - therefore are not considered "clients. Anyone with a valid sport fishing license ought to be able to sport fish...

Certain fisheries still DO allow a guide to fish with clients on board too... Granted, I never cared to fish with clients on board... I always felt it was THEIR time to enjoy catching, not mine. The EO's issued last year (not regulations, mind you... just EO) by the state prohibited guides from "RETAINING" fish while clients were on board... A guide could still fish, just not "retain" the fish they caught.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post
    Oh, but I never have clients on board now that I'm not a registered guide! Even if I were to re-register as a guide, the thread here is discussing guests who apparently did not pay - therefore are not considered "clients. Anyone with a valid sport fishing license ought to be able to sport fish...

Certain fisheries still DO allow a guide to fish with clients on board too... Granted, I never cared to fish with clients on board... I always felt it was THEIR time to enjoy catching, not mine. The EO's issued last year (not regulations, mind you... just EO) by the state prohibited guides from "RETAINING" fish while clients were on board... A guide could still fish, just not "retain" the fish they caught.

-Case
    When I was chartering on the Great Lakes in Canada the rules did not disallow the captain or crew from fishing. At the time there was only one line per angler allowed (it's now 2). If we had a smaller group of anglers on board we would fill our spread with the lines allowed for the crew. We did not reel in the fish ourselves but would use this tactic to get a full spread of lines out to cover more water and up our chances of catching more fish for our clients. Since the regulations were changed this is no longer a problem. Technically we were fishing, but the rods were handed off to the client. Happy clients are repeat clients and repeat clients make for a happy outfitter.

When watching the show I had assumed (I know) that the Guide was being compensated, thus the comment or question about guides fishing.

If you look at the show, it leads you to believe that he is indeed guiding Czonka and crew.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I DVR'd the show and watched it last night. At the start of the show they say they called up Swiftwater Bill and booked one of his last trips of the year.

That leads me to believe they paid for the trip.

Klickman

Quote Originally Posted by klickman View Post
    I DVR'd the show and watched it last night. At the start of the show they say they called up Swiftwater Bill and booked one of his last trips of the year.

That leads me to believe they paid for the trip.

Klickman
    You got a good point there. He does say that in the beginning of his show
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast