Thread: looking to get into reloading. a few minor questions

Default looking to get into reloading. a few minor questions

i am thinking of getting into reloading. i am thinking of getting the hornady lock N load single stage press in the kit form. from reading about the kit, it will come with everything i need except dies, brass, primers, powder, and bullets. how does this press rate as far as quality?

another question. how many rounds can i kick out in an hour with a single stage press like this.

last question, what reloading manuals do you reccommend i get and read over before i actaully start loading my own rounds?

thanks adam

Default Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Gibbs View Post
    i am thinking of getting into reloading.
    Welcome to your new obsession. Reloading is quite satisfying on a number of different levels. It can also become quite engaging.
    i am thinking of getting the hornady lock N load single stage press in the kit form. from reading about the kit, it will come with everything i need except dies, brass, primers, powder, and bullets. how does this press rate as far as quality?
    Almost all presses from the major manufacturers are good quality. Some meet some reloaders' personal style or preferences better than others. The Hornady LnL is a very good press. It will serve for a lifetime and then some. Same for RCBS (I have a Rockchucker) Lee (I have two progressives, one permanently set up for large primers and the other for small) and Redding, Lyman, Dillon, Forster, to name just a few. Bad products don't stay in the marketplace for long and reputation in this field, where memories are long is EVERYTHING to a manufacturer.

For dies, if you are going to load for straight-walled (mostly pistol) cases, spend the extra sawbuck for Tungsten Carbide dies. You don't have to lubricate straight-walled cases with T-C dies, which saves a lot of time.

another question. how many rounds can i kick out in an hour with a single stage press like this.
    When I first started reloading, I found 50 per hour to be my norm. Remember to always put care before speed. Nothing slows your average more than having to disassemble a bunch of cartridges because you seated the primers upside down or cannot remember for sure if you got all the powder charges right (or not).
    last question, what reloading manuals do you reccommend i get and read over before i actaully start loading my own rounds?

thanks adam
    "The ABC's of Reloading" is good as an introduction. Any loading manual printed in the last 50 years has, in its first several chapters, a description of the loading process. Get several (borrow from friends or the library) and read them. Most are assembled by a team of editors, but each has a different writing style which may resonant with you more than others and each will emphasize some aspects of loading more than other areas. Expose yourself to as wide a variety as you can and retain the best of the best. Then by a couple of manuals of your own. Lyman's is highly though of and "Modern Reloading by Richard Lee" is one that you will read, re-read and pore over for years. There are also videos for sale and on the web that did not even exist in imagination when I started reloading.

Check out this thread for a whole bunch of starting advice,
    http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13543
    or, if the link does now work, paste this into your web browser
    rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13543

Look for my "10 Advices" where I pontificate on Aluminum vs Iron, mentoring, eye protection and, of course, the ultimate advice on the web:
    Verify for yourself everything you learn. Believe only half of what you see and one quarter of what you hear. That goes double for everything you find on the internet.

For what cartridges will you reload? What kind of shooting do you (will you) do? What prompted your interest in reloading?

Lost Sheep

Good luck, good shooting an don't pinch your fingers in your press.

thanks for the reply. i want to get into reloading so i can create more accurate loads for my rifles. the main thing that sparked my interest was seeing beartooths 1 hole group with a 358 winchester in the shooting section of this forum.

the cartridges i want to reload for are 338 win mag, 308 winchester, 223 remington, and possibly 45/70.

i will look for those books locally. thanks for the advice.