Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Zoom Eyepiece Option for Pentax Spotters

Default Another Zoom Eyepiece Option for Pentax Spotters

I know that a lot of guys in the bird and astro forums have used the 8-24mm Vixen Lanthanum zoom. It is brighter than the XF Zoom with more eye relief also. Well, now it appears they have come out with a new wide angle model. I don't know anything about it but it might be worth checking out. I know the first ones have no prob reaching full focus on the Pentax spotters. The price is about what I paid for my William Optics zoom. I think one of you guys should buy one from an outfit that will allow you a 30 day return, check it out, and tell us how it works!! The 8-24mm zoom will give 16-48X on the PF 65 scope. The scope has a focal length of 390mm. 390 divided by the focal length(s) of the eyepiece give the magnification. The WO zoom is 7.5-22.5mm. Which gives about 17-52x.

http://www.telescopes.net/doc/2500/mftr/Vixen/item/5836

Default Zoom Eyepiece ....

As I understand it, William Optics is no longer making the ZoomII. I was able, though, to find a new one in Europe. It's in transit, so I'm covered for now. Guess I'd better find one of the "proper" O-rings. Thanks, Snyd.

that interesting there Rick! I guess I need to get in gear and do some tracing of my own! I think I might order both. I am not especially happy with my current pentax zoom eyepiece,

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    As I understand it, William Optics is no longer making the ZoomII. I was able, though, to find a new one in Europe. It's in transit, so I'm covered for now. Guess I'd better find one of the "proper" O-rings. Thanks, Snyd.
    Yup, you gotta have one of the little orange ones. Ace Hardware carried them up here but they are out of business now.

Someone else just told me WO quit making the Zoom II. Where did you hear it? Did you talk to WO?

I talked to WO about this today and they said demand was low so it was dropped. However....they may bring it back out in April or May for a short while. Scope City has them listed on their website as being available then. I talked to them today and placed an order to get in "line" so to speak as I am hoping to get a hold of this before Spring Bear. I have been doing quite a bit of research and this eye piece with the Snyd's mod seems to be about the best option out there. The only one that compares is a Meade eyepiece made by Swarovski for one year that is impossible to find. **** you Snyd and your American ingenuity for puting us through this.

Default I just did a serch

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I know that a lot of guys in the bird and astro forums have used the 8-24mm Vixen Lanthanum zoom. It is brighter than the XF Zoom with more eye relief also. Well, now it appears they have come out with a new wide angle model. I don't know anything about it but it might be worth checking out. I know the first ones have no prob reaching full focus on the Pentax spotters. The price is about what I paid for my William Optics zoom. I think one of you guys should buy one from an outfit that will allow you a 30 day return, check it out, and tell us how it works!! The 8-24mm zoom will give 16-48X on the PF 65 scope. The scope has a focal length of 390mm. 390 divided by the focal length(s) of the eyepiece give the magnification. The WO zoom is 7.5-22.5mm. Which gives about 17-52x.

http://www.telescopes.net/doc/2500/mftr/Vixen/item/5836
    And I cant seem to find one for sale in wide angle. I have to get back to work but if one of you comes across one post a link and I will buy it and post a review.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

That link is the one. 40-55 FOV is wider angle than the previous one. I guess I probably shouldn't have called it "Wide Angle". sorry. Still might be worth looking into though. Espeicially if you can get one that comes with some kind of 15-30 day return policy in case you don't like it.

Default on the way

I just ordered one. I should have it in 2-3 days. Let me know if you want to check it out.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfkiller View Post
    I just ordered one. I should have it in 2-3 days. Let me know if you want to check it out.
    Cool, I think I can see a scope comparison day coming up! Stid has a PF 65 with e Pentax xf zoom, I have the 65 EDA II with the WO, and you will have the new Vixen.

We have talked about an optics comparison day here for a couple years but has never happened. It would be cool to have a few guys/gals and a bunch of different scopes and binos to be able to compare.

Let us know when you get that zoom.

Snyd that definately needs to happen! Let me know what you find, I will buy the winner

I'm in, I want to check it out.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Default Got it today

I like it so far. The adjustment feels a little cheep but it is clear to look through. I will try to find time to take it out were I can see farther soon.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfkiller View Post
    I like it so far. The adjustment feels a little cheep but it is clear to look through. I will try to find time to take it out were I can see farther soon.
    You will find that the adjustment ring being easy to turn is nice. I felt the same way when I first got it but when you start using it in the real world it's nice to not have to reef on it to turn up the magnification. It's easier to keep the scope "on target" when zooming in.

Anybody have the Televue Zoom? Or tried it?

TeleVue - 8mm TO 24mm Click Stop Zoom

http://telescopes.net/doc/2500/mftr/.../item/DCZ-2408

so, I have the XW14 and absolutely love it but I am looking for a zoom also. Looking at the Williams WE-Zoom-2, The Televue (link below) or the Vixen. Any thoughts? Telescopes.net has all three. Thanks! Eric

Quote Originally Posted by CHSNGSTLHD View Post
    so, I have the XW14 and absolutely love it but I am looking for a zoom also. Looking at the Williams WE-Zoom-2, The Televue (link below) or the Vixen. Any thoughts? Telescopes.net has all three. Thanks! Eric
    check out birdforum.net in the Pentax spotters forum. Lots of guys there have used many different eyepieces. Also check out cloudynights.com and astromart.com. Those amateur astronomers like to spend thousands of dollars on astro eyepieces. 99.9% of which which will reach full focus on the Pentax spotters.

Talking WO ZoomII Eyepiece ....

Hey Snyd ....

The WO ZoomII that I found (NIB) on the AstroMart classifieds, finally arrived ... from starman85, in Bugaria. $200.00/delivered. I'm pleased, so far. And the special orange washer arrived today from Ace Hardwear, in Brooklyn, N.Y.

It appears that I'm set. I'm following the gear trail you broke for us. Now to modify the washer.

Thanks again. Rick.

Hey Snyd ....

The WO ZoomII that I found (NIB) on the AstroMart classifieds, finally arrived ... from starman85, in Bugaria. $200.00/delivered. I'm pleased, so far. And the special orange washer arrived today from Ace Hardwear, in Brooklyn, N.Y.

It appears that I'm set. I'm following the gear trail you broke for us. Now to modify the washer.

Thanks again. Rick.
    NewYork!?!? Man, don't they have an Ace Hardware in your neck of the woods? I bought 2 or 3 of them last year sometime when Ace was going out of business here. Then I met a guy on the birdforums from England who could not find one and it would have cost him like 50 bucks to buy one online so I mailed him one of mine. I think I have one left. I better hang on to it! Sounds like these things are a scarce as primers

Oh, don't forget the o-ring around the eyepiece barrel. I gives it a little snugger fit.

Default Ace hardware ....

I'm in Two Rivers. There may be an Ace in Anchorage. But not one nearby. Brooklyn worked out fine .... $11.00 for 5/delivered.

I'm in Two Rivers. There may be an Ace in Anchorage. But not one nearby. Brooklyn worked out fine .... $11.00 for 5/delivered.

Two Rivers? Then I guess that makes us neighbors, I'm in Fairbanks. And I know where to get a slip joint washer if I need one

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast