Thread: trolling steering setup

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default trolling steering setup

I use an ezsteer setup, it is hooked to the DPH outdrive and my 9.9high thrust yamaha, I manually lower the yama and manually shift into forward when trolling. When I'm done I lift up the yama and shift into neutral. I have a digitroll for throttle.

I'm wondering what your setup is. The digitroll lasts one season 365 days and it craps out ($300 and change) every year. Thinking of going to a panther elecrtro steer.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

I run the EZ steer and am installing the ControllKing throttle. Sounds just like your current system. I normally get the kicker started, wind her up and head inside. As slow as the Yammi 8 hp HT is, I haven't really needed the throttle. I'll finish bolting on the servo this spring.
    Last edited by bullbuster; 02-15-2009 at 15:06. Reason: spelng
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default Intelli steer

I have used this system for 2 years now and have had no problems. I have a electric start & power tilt Yamaha high thrust so I have the remote for the throttle and gears. And I steer with a remote key pad. If I had deeper pockets I would have bought the TR-1 autopilot. I have seen these in action and they were amazing. Some guys are linking the hydralics to the kickers with the new Volvos. I have heard not to do this, but I see alot of people doing it with no problems.

Chuck

Default Tolling Steering

I'm wondering what your setup is. The digitroll lasts one season 365 days and it craps out ($300 and change) every year. Thinking of going to a panther elecrtro steer.[/QUOTE]

Kodiak - I have a Panther unit used one season I took off my Osprey when I sold it and can't use it on my new boat so for sale. PM me if interested.

For steering I am in the process of installing a 2 position double selector valve so I can select which motor my hydraulic steering has controll of, that way both the pilot station and the fish deck station will controll the selected motor.
    For the kicker I am installing the power/shift controll at the pilot station and using a ConTrollKing at the fish deck station.
    The TR1 is on the wish list.

Default Kicker to Main Hydrolics

Quote Originally Posted by Salt Chukar View Post
    Some guys are linking the hydralics to the kickers with the new Volvos. I have heard not to do this, but I see alot of people doing it with no problems.

Chuck
    I have a 20hp Honda Kicker with power tilt and I had a ram installed on it and hooked up to the hydrolic steering from my main outdrive. It works like a charm.

It is operated from the rear helm station in the cockpit where the kicker controls and the second helm station for the main are located. I can steer with the kicker from both stations, but, can only operate the shift and throttle from the controls at the rear station.

You need to open a valve when you want to steer with the kicker. You shut the valves when you start the main engine. The Volvo system has power steering and might be too much pressure for the kicker ram. This might be what Chuck is talking about.

I first got the idea from the Juneau Volvo dealer when I was trying to decide how I was going to steer the kicker. It was seconded by Jerry from Seward Heavy Industrial who said he installs a lot of systems like this.
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

Right now mine is tiller control only. The only autopilot I've seen in action would not allow kicker operation in reverse, to slow a drift for jigging or mooching. Maybe some do. This one would pull the motor hard over to one side.

There's a number of charter boats off the west coast of Vancouver Island that set themselves up with a kicker control station right on the transom - i.e. you lean on the transom facing forward (presumably looking where you're going), you have a second hydraulic helm beside you mounted atop the transom (right on the boat centerline) that you steer with your right hand (kicker tied to main for steering), and a conventional side-mount controller mounted to the forward side of the transom, just in front of the wheel, for throttle and shift. This isn't the answer for everyone, and isn't possible with every boat, but it allows those guides to face forward and run client's rods and keep them in sight while downrigging, lets them grab a rod and set a hook almost instantly, and doesn't compromise operation for drifting/backtrolling. Pretty slick to watch them run a boat. You're not that close to your rods if your controls are up on the rear bulkhead, and certainly not if your controls are at the main helm.