Thread: leupold 1.75-6 VXIII

Default leupold 1.75-6 VXIII

anyone have this scope? how do you like it. what gun do you have it on? debating between this and 2.5-8. will be going on a 338 win mag. opinions on which one to go with?

Default Close Cousin

I have a Schmidt & Bender 1.5 to 6 power mounted with Talley rings/bases onto a similar caliper to your 338. My rifle is a Schultz and Larsen model 65 bolt action chambered in 358 Norma. Balistically very close to the 338 Winny.

My opinion these scopes (1.5 to 6 power) mounted to potent rifle cartridges (such as the 338 or the 358) are fantastic combinations. The 6 power gets you out there plenty far and the 1.5 power allows you to approached that downed animal with both eyes open and looking through the scope. Great for close shooting in the thick stuff. Great light transmission for those final minutes of shooting light too.

You could do plenty worse in your selection of components....
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for the shadow is mine and so is the valley. Thy Glock and thy M14 comfort me in days of civil unrest and terror

I've got two in that power range. A 1.75-6x32 VXIII w/hvy duplex on a 20"bbl 9.3x62mm Mauser and a 1.5-6x42 Sightron SII w/std plex on a .300mag. I found over the years that I needed less power on the low end rather than more power on the high end. Lowest before was 3.5X. That said though,the 2.5-8 is a GOOD power range to. I like the hvy plex as it really stands out when aiming into brush,limbs,and saplings. ESPECIALLY in low light.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Gibbs View Post
    anyone have this scope? how do you like it. what gun do you have it on? debating between this and 2.5-8. will be going on a 338 win mag. opinions on which one to go with?
    I got that scope sitting on my classic stainless Model 70 375 H&H with Talley lever rings and bases. Excellent scope that has held up extremely well. I also got the Leupold 2.5-8 on another rifle and, if I was scoping a 338 Winnie, I'd honestly go with the 2.5-8 Leupold or a 3-9x40.

after reading a bit more, i am thinking the 2.5-8 is the way to go. this will be on my do it all rifle, so if i have to make longer shots, i think the extra power will be beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Gibbs View Post

I have both those and they are excellent scopes and would be good choices for the caliber. On larger claibers where I might do more close range shooting at larger tartgets, I prefer the 1.75-6x32. Also an important consideration is that the 2.5-8x is a short tube, the 1.75-6x is extended for a long action. you will need a reverse ring in front to use the 2.5-8x on a 338 Mag length action.

My 338's through 416's carry 1.5-4.5x, 1.5-5x or 1.75-6x I've made several shots in excess of 300 yards with these and fixed 4x scopes.

I dislike big overgrown scopes on big game hunting rifles they seem to unbalance and over power the rifle. An I find it irksome to hear how this super duper 9 1/2 -23 X 77mm scope will enable the shooter to routinely take 900 yard shots on small fleeing animals. As if I'd never carried a rifle afield before.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default scope

I have the 2.5-8 on my 270, 300wm, and 338rum and love them. Somethimes I just seem to need that exrtra 2X. Note what Murphy said about getting the reverse ring for the front.

Thumbs up Great scopes.....

The Leupold 2.5 x 8 is my all time favorite scope and sits on my Mod. 70 .338. It is mounted in Warne detachable rings and has the standard duplex reticle. I also have their 1.75 x 6 with a post/duplex reticle from their custom shop on a old Mod. 70 30-06. If the 2.5 x 8 is on 6 power it has more eye relief then the 1.75 x 6 does if it is on 6 power. For the last 2 years I asked the members of this forum to say how far away the critter was when they started shooting. Of the 40 or so that responded over the last 2 years the average distance for the shot was taken was well under 200 yards. In the last 42 years of shooting at Alaska's critters most of my shots and those with me were under 200 yards. Most of the time when I shoot some thing the scope is on 2.5 power and rarely goes over 6 power. So how much scope do we really need?

I've got a Leupold 2.5-8x and a Burris 1.75-5x. Either power range will work just fine for 99% of the hunting I do. The Leupold 1.75-6x would be no different. I like a low power under 2x so I can shoot with both eyes open if need be in thick stuff. In open country anymore I like fixed powers because of the simplicity. Pick up and shoot.

I do have a 3.5-10x that I don't take out much- good for stand hunting down South and great for paper punching but its a pain in the brush or hiking around.

ive got the 4.5x12x40 luppy on my .338 it's a very solid scope. I currently have it with high rings ...lets it sit better

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    The Leupold 2.5 x 8 is my all time favorite scope and sits on my Mod. 70 .338. It is mounted in Warne detachable rings and has the standard duplex reticle. I also have their 1.75 x 6 with a post/duplex reticle from their custom shop on a old Mod. 70 30-06. If the 2.5 x 8 is on 6 power it has more eye relief then the 1.75 x 6 does if it is on 6 power. For the last 2 years I asked the members of this forum to say how far away the critter was when they started shooting. Of the 40 or so that responded over the last 2 years the average distance for the shot was taken was well under 200 yards. In the last 42 years of shooting at Alaska's critters most of my shots and those with me were under 200 yards. Most of the time when I shoot some thing the scope is on 2.5 power and rarely goes over 6 power. So how much scope do we really need?
    I hunted happily and successfully for many years with a 1.5x fixed power Leupold. Target aquisition was very quick.
    NRA Lifetime Member

Default Smaller is better

If you ever have to go into the weeds after a mistake, you'll appreciate the 1.75-6x32 with the heavy duplex. Been there, done that with too much scope. Ever since my 338 has worn a Leupold. 6x is plenty.

The largest of all the scopes I have is a 1.5x6. never saw the need for more power and have had many situations requiring the low power.

I agree with the above guys that prefer low powered scopes.....I use the 1.75X-6X on a Kimber Montana 300 WSM.....with Talley lighweights.....I see no purpose for moose aqnd bear rifle to have huge high powered scopes....I don't recall ever turning my scope to six power.....I had mine fitted with my favorite post reticle..