Thread: WTB- Boat

Default WTB- Boat

I am looking for a used but good condition relatively new 19-20 foot boat with a 50 hp 4-stroke and trailer I can use in the middle / lower Kenai and also off the lower peninsula beaches / Valdez/ Kachemak. I leaning toward an open boat with center console rather than a windshield or tiller. I have thought about fishrite, north river, willie, alumacraft, alumaweld and koffler and all have pros and cons. I don't think it makes much difference if it has a 6 degree, 10 degree or even 12 degree bottom. If you have a boat or know someone who does drop me an email (fisheye1@acsalaska.net) or pm. Phil

No one? Someone must have alead for me.

Default No leads...

but you didn't mention having looked into Bayrunner/Klamath. I think there's a guy on here who's got one; a 20' with an Etec 50 and really loves it; gets up and scoots with fuel economy too. Plus, for safety's sake in the salt (Homer & Deep Creek), they have a high bow. In the old days, I heard lots of charter guys cut their teeth on these boats off Deep Creek, that's saying something for the boat. I keep see-sawing on boats all the time (cause daydreaming is cheap!) but would love to have that exact setup if I was going to do both fishing the river (limited to 50 hp) and near shore salt fishing; I'd go for the runabout version myself but they have a center console too.
    Jim

I have to second the Klamath. I popped my cherry on a 18' Klamath with a 70 horse 'rude. She flat out hauled donkey! Very sea worthy for its size. A 50 horse would work great, too, and be Kenai legal.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

all right, I'll add those to my list.

Default Hey Pete,

was yours center console or runabout type? Someone told me last year that the Klamath/Bayrunners had a bad habit of "digging" (bow) in a following sea and almost throwing them out of the boat at speed??? Sounded a little scary. Sounds like too much weight in front. Any speed numbers from your old boat? Bet it got close to 50. The other guy on here with that combo/Etec said he rarely opens his boat up to WOT.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    was yours center console or runabout type? Someone told me last year that the Klamath/Bayrunners had a bad habit of "digging" (bow) in a following sea and almost throwing them out of the boat at speed??? Sounded a little scary. Sounds like too much weight in front. Any speed numbers from your old boat? Bet it got close to 50. The other guy on here with that combo/Etec said he rarely opens his boat up to WOT.
    Jim
    Jim,

Mine was a late 80's model center console. I never experienced the bow digging in like that. I suppose if it was loaded heavy and there were a couple of people up front it could happen. I never had a gps speed, but I suspect that it would hit in the low 40's WOT, perhaps more. It was my understanding that the evinrude/johnson 70 hp was the weakest of the bunch. I am not sure if there is any merit to that or not.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.