Thread: Can anyone post on Ulu

Default Can anyone post on Ulu

I have read some interesting things on the Ulu. Anyone care to share instructions on how to make and use one. I think I read that some people make then out of old saw blades.

I would be interested in learning more.

Thanks
    OP1

The saw blades can be cut like above, and the handle too.

The top one in the frame is a Slate Ulu with an Ivory handle.
    the second one is a Jade Ulu.
    The bottom three are variuos blades with handles of Ivory, Antler and wood.

Hope that helps.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I have made them with circular saw blades.

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    The top one in the frame is a Slate Ulu with an Ivory handle.
    the second one is a Jade Ulu.
    The bottom three are variuos blades with handles of Ivory, Antler and wood.

Hope that helps.
    Those are great. A slate ulu...did you find it?
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

You like the Ulus?

Cool.
    I often find "stuff" as I walk along in the summer. Fact is, the one of the kids had it at camp when I came home oneday, so I think it was from the beach, but I wasnt there.

The Jade one came from the river bank. We hunt Caribou on the Kobuk where the Fatherinlaw was born, 1903, and lived untill he was 12, when his father died. His mom moved with him and his sisters elsewhere. Theres still an old log cabin there, built by a gold seeker and a mound where they had a Winter sod house. (Someone else owns it now)
    Come spring,They could leave with everything, except the big ol' rock Oil lamp. Joe said they used to hide it whenever they left for the Spring, and I swear to the Lord above, he looked, walked over a little ways, to the rocky base of teh little cliff, pointed at a 1/2 sunk "rock" and with a branch, rolled it over. Talk about a smile!!!!!
    Still go that, too.

You can utilize the Saw handle into the Ulu, if you make it with a Carpenters saw.

Might add that an Ulu is ment to be held a certain way; Kinda from one side. Look at the slate one , and you can see how the handle was mounted "off"
    When yo put an edge on it , you only grine ONE side, " l/ " insted of a Knifes " V ".......It makes the meat and such peel away, as well as allows the edge to be guided straight.

I like those ulus...a jade and slate ulu is great. I grew up on the Yukon and there only the women used them. They were real good with them, pretty amazing to watch.

I trapped one winter close to the Kobuk. About 1/2 way between the Kobuk and the Alatna.
    I was told about the place by Frank Tobuk. I think he was originally from that country. Nice country.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Default Thanks

Great info THANKS!!!
    Next garage sale saw I see will come home to become a Ulu.
    BTW what is a rock oil lamp?

Thanks
    Op1

These are Seal Oil lamps, made of stone. They illuminated the insides of Winter sod Houses.
    Much smaller ones were carried while travling, but these 50lb+ babies were stashed when the familys left to hunt/fish/gather in the rivers and oceans.

Guess the were "Homemade" as well...LOL!
    They are dished out . probly "pecked" into a dish on top that had the blubber rendering into oil from slightly "above" on the incline of the dish, allowing the oil to flow to the lower rim, where a moss or Tundra Cotton wick was used to regulate th esize of the flame. The sooty marks are where the oil burned.

Default Wow

Thanks for sharing the info on the seal lamp. That is way too cool. I find it interesting that they would they hide it when they went away. Would others actually take a 50lb oil lamp? I mean if they themselves didn't want to travel with it would someone else?
    Thanks again for the education. Please post or PM me any other cool stuff and info as you see fit. I really enjoy learning about how the natives lived and the tools they used.

OP1

I think these were "heirlooms" that were passed down in familys. Alot of people around here have such things, but Ive never asked, directly... They didint stop using them untill a hundred years ago or so around here when Kerosen became redily available.
    Also, the sod houses werent good for too long, and I doubt they knew when they they would return from their wanderings. I dont think they wanted to dig around to find them. Joe told me he helped his dad rebuilt his sod house every year, when they would return from the coast for the winter.
    The slate ulu is sharp, and handy sized.
    The Jade Ulu was probley a very prized possesson in its day. Its very sharp, even at both ends, kinda like "pre Steel", and has a warm green glow. All Jade up this way comes from up the Kobuk river.