Thread: Pro-Pioneer directional floating

Default Pro-Pioneer directional floating

Probably should just call Mike, but...

Last year while on my float, I noticed something that continually baffled me.

First off, I had little or no wind. When I did have wind, it seemed to blow the light end downwind.

I loaded the area behind me heavier thinking that the light end would head downstream first so I could face towards my float. I always would swing around backwards as soon as I quit rowing. But I'm no dummy, so....

I loaded the area in front of me heavier (rest of paragraph is same)...
    But I'm no dummy, so....

I loaded the raft as evenly as possible but still floated backwards.

I had a 14' self bailing pro pioneer with oar saddles. I loved the way it rowed and that I could stay in shallow 6" water.
    Could the boat have a front and rear end?
    May I have placed the seat in such a way that affected the drift?
    Maybe the back of my head is more aero than my nose?
    What do you think?

"Maybe the back of my head is more aero than my nose?"

I think you're hitting on something there Nikster. I have never figured this out either, but my cataraft & round raft all seem to behave the same way. That is until I decide to row the other direction. I jump to the cooler in front of me, turn around, and all of a sudden the stupid thing wants to float frontwards. I never would have thought it was my big nose causing this, but now I'm wondering...

Hmmm might call Larry on this one vice Mike.

Noticed the same thing - in flowing water, I can easily maintain the boat's direction by back-paddling, but as soon as I want a downstream boost with a forward paddle, the boat wants to come around. I could usually overpower the tendency with a herculean stroke, but not always. On long stretches of uniformly flowing water where I didn't have to pick a braid, I could turn backwards and backpaddle and keep my bearing without too much trouble.

On flatwater, I recall stretches of 5-10 backpaddling strokes where I only pulled with one oar, with no wind influence, to keep the boat going straight. Like you mention, loading didn't seem to matter.

The inflatable floor has subtle "scoops" inward at each of the four corners. I wonder if these catch like a ski edge when you get anything but straight...

i think it has to do with the fact the river current is "stacking up" behind and therefore pushing the watercraft. no matter what kind of craft you are in, if you are parallel to the current, the current pushes the rear of the boat faster than the front, so the rear is constantly pushed forward. Any amount of uneveness in the current and the boat begins to turn no matter where the weight is loaded in the boat.

that is my take on it, which is worth less than the price (nothing) you paid for it