Thread: Help ID mauser action

Default Help ID mauser action

Finally got the Whelen and was hoping that someone could help me identify the make of the receiver.

The only real mark I could find was a script capitol B with a circle around it.
    The was no marking or crest on top of the receiver where I have seen many times on mauser actions.

The action is very smooth and tight. It does have the thumb cut out found on the military models. There is a very small mark on the bolt handle but is appears to be a single mark that is not a letter or number.

This came with a #4 contour 35 Whelen Shilen that I was considering enlarging the chamber on for a little more oomph.
    Any ideas on who made this action?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Whelen update

Found one with the same markings for sale on a gun auction site. The seller stated that the rifle was re-branded one by the importer. I expect that it is the case.
    The barrel appears to have 1-12" twist rate. I thought this a little strange as it is a 35 Whelen and most of the barrel makers I found offer the Whelen in 1-14" twist rates. This barrel was supposed to be a Shilen (sp?) and their offering is a 1-14" in the Whelen.
    I have been thinking about a re-chamber job on this to the Nukalpiaq and this barrel would be a prime candidate I think with that twist and the #4 contour should stabalize the 280gr Swift fine.

Back to the action...
    Don't think I want to go through the trouble to convert to a magnum on this one. I am still looking for a doner magnum action of the commercial FN variety.

In the mean time I will try out the Whelen rounf and see what I can do with it.
    The 358 Norma should be showing up soon so I will see if that satisfies my 35 thumper fix...all bets are off though.

That action looks a lot like a VZ-24...Pretty sure that is what you got.
    375 Ruger Hawkeye...Mice to Moose, Impala to Buffalo....1 GUN.....WORLDS PURSUIT

Missoula, MT

I agree with Idahotrophy; VZ24. Crest may have been ground off or did not have one. Good solid action. Have fun. J.

Default Thanks for replies

Thanks for the replies.
    I must admit I don't know very much about the different variations of the Mauser action. From what I have read the vz24 action is plenty strong enough for an upgrade. I am still waiting to see what the Whelen turns out.
    A awful lot of folks singing its praise. Has to mean something.
    I can't wait to load some rounds and try it out. Just sized/trimmed my lot of brass and purchased a couple of pounds of RL15. At 37.50 /lb that was VERY painful. I feel abused.
    Got a few 250gr Speers and now I need a little time.

Finally found a little info on te markings of the action here:

Looks like a German 1909 action that may have been made under a Brazilian contract. The serial number and 'B' markings are the same.

east coast of Australia

I have a mate here in Oz that loves the .35 Whelan, he stats that the Whelan needs the 1-12 twist to stabilise heavy bullets. He usually knows what he is talking about. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by oenpelli View Post
    I have a mate here in Oz that loves the .35 Whelan, he stats that the Whelan needs the 1-12 twist to stabilise heavy bullets. He usually knows what he is talking about. Hope this helps.
    I have smartend' up a bit since I started this thread. I really like the 35 Whelen cartridge and have this thing like the 250g Speer cup-n-cores and a healthy charge of RL-15. puts them into an inch at 100 yds.

The barrel has 1 turn in 12" rate.
    I picked up a 358009 on a groop buy over at cast boolits and am looking forward to casting a few of those and trying them out.