Thread: Refurbishing wood stocks?

Default Refurbishing wood stocks?

I am planning on sanding and restaining and shellacking. Just putting some tlc into an ol 12ga. Any pointers?

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Don't have any in front of me but look at a tube of super glue and see what the name of the main ingrediant is. Buy a can of that ingrediant and put 3 or 4 coats on the stock after getting the color you are looking for from the stain. It will make the stock almost impervious to moisture. Or you could just coat it with epoxy sfter staining it.

I've refinished several stocks. Remove the old finish with stripper, then scrape with a piece of glass or knife; make sure you hold the blade perpendicular to the wood, and don't apply too much pressure. Checkering is a problem, but you can use stripper and a stiff bush to get the old finish out...be caeful when sanding, you might want to tape over the checkeing. Then sand with fine paper, then finer paper, then 0000 steel wool. I never put vanish, stain, shellac o anything like that on 'em. I use eithe linseed oil o a tung oil finish...be patient, use many caots and rub it in well. It helps to heat the stock a bit for the first few coats, so the oil will penetrate better. You can add a little shine with stock wax after the oiling, but I prefer a flatter finish.

Default Winchester original Red-Brown Stock Oil

I would consider finshing your stock with this oil. Their are full instruction on how to do at the botom of the page. you can wax it after you finishes it with the oil I like the pure finish.
    DR B

http://www.winrest.com/

Just be careful not to get to carried away and change the dimensions of the wood around the places where it fits up against the metal.

I have taken out dents and dings in several stocks by steaming them out.

After removing as much of the old finish as possible, I wipe it down again with clean mineral spirits or naptha. Then denatured alcohol.
    Then I take a damp towel and place it over the stock. Then I iron it with one of our old steam irons. For hard to get to areas I have a little iron on the end of a rod.
    This makes all sort of fibers in the wood stand up so they can be taken down with fine steel wool. I do this a few times over. It will often let dents swell back out.

xx