Thread: Any up for a charter???

Default Any up for a charter???

I want to hit the water asap. When do they start running halibut charters out of seward or whittier?

If anyone want's in let me know. It's hard to go as a single person as they usually want atleast 4 people on a six pack.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by motorboatn View Post
    I want to hit the water asap. When do they start running halibut charters out of seward or whittier?

If anyone want's in let me know. It's hard to go as a single person as they usually want atleast 4 people on a six pack.
    Motorboatn,

There was one guy that I know of chartering last year at the end of March. He has a 26 foot Osprey and was a nice guy when I spoke to him on the radio a few times by Harrison Point out west from Seward. And, we were catching small butts like crazy over there. He was just about the only boat I saw out there in April. You should call the Fish House and see if he is going to do it again this year. The weather was rough early in the season last year......Hopefully it will be better this year.

TR...where is harrison point? How far out and how deep of water were you catching butts at the end of march?

Do you mean Harris Point on the west side of Harris bay?

Quote Originally Posted by FISHFACE View Post
    Do you mean Harris Point on the west side of Harris bay?
    That is the place. Why did I put the exra letters in? Oh well......

Quote Originally Posted by dirtface View Post
    TR...where is harrison point? How far out and how deep of water were you catching butts at the end of march?
    It is pretty far. I guess I gave it too many letters as it actually is Harris Point. I fish it a couple of miles up the bay on the west side near where the stream flows in. It is about 250-300 feet deep there and there seemed to be a zillion of them there. But, they were not huge - around 15-25 pounds. I went in early April in my little boat and saw the Osprey guy over that way and talked to him on the radio a couple of times. As the year went on, more and more boats were hanging out over there and it got pretty busy. I can't remember for sure how early, but there was also a Seasport guy (27 foot diesel) and a young girl (daughter? Russian mail order bride?) guiding early in the year over that way. They seemed to like to target rock fish as they were always sitting off some rocky island or point in shallow water. The point is, there are some folks guiding that early, but I can imagine that it is very dependent on the weather. I talked to the Seasport guy at the fishcleaning station (totally empty) and he seemed like a nice guy. Once again, a few of them start to go out in late March, April, and May. Call the fishhouse they will hook you up.