Thread: Barrel Fluting?

Default Barrel Fluting?

Is barrel fluting really worth it? Other than it looking sharp, to me anyway, do have any significant weight savings or other bonuses?

My savage has a fluted barrel from the factory, but my Stag has a VERY heavy 24" barrel on it and fluting it might save me some weight....or I could hack 4" off the end and have it re-crowned. Sorry, thinking out loud here.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Is barrel fluting really worth it? Other than it looking sharp, to me anyway, do have any significant weight savings or other bonuses?

My savage has a fluted barrel from the factory, but my Stag has a VERY heavy 24" barrel on it and fluting it might save me some weight....or I could hack 4" off the end and have it re-crowned. Sorry, thinking out loud here.
    besides the "cool factor" real fluting not only reduces weight but actually helps with barrel cooling. this may (or may not) be a factor in a hunting situation.......but is nice at the range. ahlmans gun shop fluted a shilen no.4 contour barrel for me and it still shoots .5 or better. i noticed my shots stay tight and don't "walk" as is common with a hot barrel.

custom fluting depth is determined by the contour and weight of your barrel, but in mine it was significant. check it out!!

happy trails.
    jh

What did they charge for the fluting. 6-8 flutes? And as always, lets see it!!!

From what I've read, fluting does not help cooling all that much. It didn't seem to make a big diff in my Sako Finnlight. Also, fluting a barrel after the fact can be a little risky because it will probably affect the stresses in your barrel. Flutting is best done by the barrel maker during the barrel making process. As far as weight savings... it depends on how deep you flute it. I dont think it's going to affect the overall weight of your gun a whole lot. In short, I recommend against it. If you cut 4" off a 24" barrel, it doesn't leave you a whloe lot left and depending on the cartridge could have a be affect on performance. Maybe you would just be better off selling it and buying something that really suits you.

We flute tons of barrels. it saves a bit or weight, and does, IMHO help cooling. If you cryo the barrels, it does not affect accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    What did they charge for the fluting. 6-8 flutes? And as always, lets see it!!!
    the top rifle is a remington 700 30-06 ackley imp with a 25" number 4 shilen-w/5 deep flutes. shoots great .5 or better.
    ahlmans did the fluting, cost was $130.00.

bottom rifle is a remington 78 in 280 ackley imp with 25" number 4 lilja barrel w/6 flutes. shoots great .3 (3 shots @ 100yd.

i own rifles with and without fluting, and like them both ways, but i can say the fluting DOES help with cooling (no bullet walk) even with 10shot groups. and i didn't read it in a book either!

happy trails.
    jh
    Attached Images Attached Images