Thread: gunsmith to install Badger bolt Knob

Default gunsmith to install Badger bolt Knob

I found a guy that does it for 50 dollars to install and 90 if he supplies the knob. Only thing is I have to ship the bolt to Alabama. Anyone have it done in town for around the same amount? He also does a bolt handle reinforcing mod for 45 dollars. What is the point of that and is it worth it to have done?

If you're worried about shipping, maybe try a flat-rate box....??

We have done probably 25 of them, but not for $50 . Its a small PITA to set up. Looks nice though and definately handier

What kind of gun and what does a Badger bolt knob do for you that the stock knob doesn't and why does a bolt handle need to be reinforced on a good rifle?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default rifle is

A rem 700 on a Christiansen Arms carbon custom one tactical. Im not a big fan of the stock remington knob. They tend to be knucklebusters for my giant hand. i dont understand the reinforcing the bolt part but for 45 dollars it sound allright considering he said all that keeps it attached is some soldering.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskan907 View Post
    A rem 700 on a Christiansen Arms carbon custom one tactical. Im not a big fan of the stock remington knob. They tend to be knucklebusters for my giant hand. i dont understand the reinforcing the bolt part but for 45 dollars it sound allright considering he said all that keeps it attached is some soldering.
    for a sniper rifle, the oversize bolt isn't for big hands or small hands....the size and weight allows the shooter to open and close the bolt w/o disturbing your point of impact. this is important for a necessary 2nd shot.

your stock attachment is fine, a "weld" isn't necessary to make the bolt secure. your advisor is inexperienced or wants your money....

just get your oversize bolt handle from brownells...have your stock bolt handle knob cut, then thread the shaft. bingo! install the new handle.

best of luck on your project. and

happy trails.
    jh

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    What kind of gun and what does a Badger bolt knob do for you that the stock knob doesn't and why does a bolt handle need to be reinforced on a good rifle?
    Apparently you've never seen the bolt handle break off of a Remington 700.

Considering the volume of rem 700s out there and the number of bolt handles broken off (minimal, and I reckon many due to abuse), I dont see how reinforcing the bolt handle makes a difference

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    Apparently you've never seen the bolt handle break off of a Remington 700.
    after firing literally thousands of rounds as a professional sniper i have never had that mishap. further, i don't know of anyone, that has "broken" the handle. But someone out there has probably done it..........i dropped a rifle from a helo once....but that's another story.

jh

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    after firing literally thousands of rounds as a professional sniper i have never had that mishap. further, i don't know of anyone, that has "broken" the handle. But someone out there has probably done it..........i dropped a rifle from a helo once....but that's another story.

jh
    It's rare, but it happens. That's why people started bolting the handles on to Remington 700s. I don't own any Remingtons and never have so I don't sweat it, but know people who do.

Default that is what he does

He will also bolt the handle on, I figured for 45 dollars I might as well. This is my first rem 700 action. It has been worked over by Christianson arms but I just wanted to add a few things to customize it more.

I have seen Remington bolt handles come off; they are only brazed on. It is a manufacturing short cut that most often works but not always. Welding a new one on is not all that easy unless done with a TIG welder. if the temper is lost on the cocking cam (where the cocking priece rides) it has to be rehardened and you need someone who really knows his stuff. Even with a TIG it is challenging. The easiest and perhaps best is to just re-braze it. Use it or send it down the road.

I personally use Remingtons for target and varmint hunting but nothing serious. Serious like in multiple day trips away from civilization. Every Remington I have own or shot, shot well. But their extractors break and are difficult to repair. I have never had a bolt handle come off but have repaired a couple. JMO. J.

IF, your 'smith has to add counter sunk screws to assist in holding the bolt handle on the bolt body -seek a professional.

I've located/timed & TIG welded thousands & thousands over the last 2 decades with a Life Time Guarantee.