Thread: Early Interarms Mk X actions

Default Early Interarms Mk X actions

I picked up a couple of early Interarms Mk X rifles today primarily for the actions. Both have nice milled hinged steel floor trigger guard assembies and adjustable triggers with side safeties. One is marked Interarms Alexandria Virginia and the other has the CZ marking behind the Interarms logo on the side of the action with Manchester England behind the Interarms marking. I assume both of these are early actions as they are still drilled and tapped on the side for peep sites.

These appear to be very close to an FN action; the trigger guard assemblies are nicer than a lot of the low end FN action rifles I've seen.

Any experience with these as to things that aren't obvious? I was thinking of putting a .35 Whelen on one; not sure what I will do with the other one.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I have messed with them a bit and they are a great, strong action. Pull the actions out of the stocks and look at the left side of the tang and you will likely see a stamp that says something like "Zastava Arms made in Yugoslavia". Most of the guns made after 1980 were made in the Yugoslavia plant. The English action I have seen was very nice but they are not very common. As far as being drilled and tapped for a peep site I think that was likely done after manufacture, I have never seen one set up or tapped for a peep sight. I could be wrong.

I am working on a .458 Lott in one of these rifles now. I am to the point of opening the bottom of the action now. Hopefully I will be able to shoot the thing in about a month.

Default m\Mark X Update

Thanks for the information. I've fooled with quite a few mausers but this is the first time for these. I ran across a deal for two beat up rifles so that is the origin of having two similar guns at the same time.

Both are stamped "Zastava Yugoslavia" on the left tang. The earlier - judging by the SN - has an interesting adaptation of a military style trigger with a side safety added. The other has a more elaborate trigger similar to those used on many later style mausers. Appears that the two would interchange.

Both are drilled for a receiver sight - one was not tapped for front sight so there would have been no reason to drill & tap it. Both have a 4 digit no. stamped between the screw holes for the receiver sight - something like 0577 - perhaps the hole spacing?

One had a Redfield base and rings that date to the 60s or early 70s. Looked like it had been on the gun for a long time but no way to tell when it was installed.

Now to diassemble them and put them in the ultrasonic cleaner to strip away the crud and any light rust. I have a .35 Whelen barrel to put on one of them. The other is a magnum so don't know what I'll do with it - I have a .416 barrel I guess I could put on it and make something interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by j_h_nimrod View Post
    I have messed with them a bit and they are a great, strong action. Pull the actions out of the stocks and look at the left side of the tang and you will likely see a stamp that says something like "Zastava Arms made in Yugoslavia". Most of the guns made after 1980 were made in the Yugoslavia plant. The English action I have seen was very nice but they are not very common. As far as being drilled and tapped for a peep site I think that was likely done after manufacture, I have never seen one set up or tapped for a peep sight. I could be wrong.

I am working on a .458 Lott in one of these rifles now. I am to the point of opening the bottom of the action now. Hopefully I will be able to shoot the thing in about a month.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I currently own 3 Mark Xs. The ones I have that have the Manchester markings have an adjustable trigger. The trigger on my .338-06, which started out as my first '06 in 1979, still feels like a glass rod breaking. And I haven't touched it in more than 25 years, the adjustment that is! Long-winded way of saying I like Interarms Mark Xs.

Smile Still made today!

Yugo Zastava factory.

Last year or so even Remington put their twist on this same Mauser action calling it the model 798... not sure, but I think it was discontinued for 2009.

The Mark X from Interarms days was sold as everything from Witworth trade names and express sights to full Manlicher polished stocked options to plain Jane barreled actions ready for the likes of in letting/bedding ol' Bell Carlson and drop-in cheap Ramline stocks.

There has been a few importers and model names over the years.

Overall pretty decent guns and barreled actions at reasonable prices if you buy 'em right. Most are a little rough & less refined on fit & finish than better Mausers, but are tough and reliable as they trace lineage to Yugo military Mausers that have much the same qualities as other decent ninety-eights.

Should be good platforms to build from.

Frank Haas Bolt Action Rifles has a pretty good review of these actions.
    They have been around a long time, Herters sold them as the J9 w/o the adj trigger. I remember that they closed them out at $49 in the early 70's. GCA 68 put a crimp on their mail order gun sales. Hope that helps. Interarms was a big importer for years, Charles Daly for a while, now Remington.

Default Thanks

I forgot to check the De Hass books- thanks for reminding me. I also need to pull out some of my old American Riflemen etc. I did check the Herter' catalogs on the J9 the pictures don't show them being drilled for a peep sight.

The quality on these two is actually very good. Fit is very close to my low end FNs but they went a tad heavy on the buffing so the edges aren't as crisp as the FNs. Machined but not finished surfaces are as good as the FNs.

Wish I still had access to a hardness tester - it would be intersting to compare these to a FN and others.

Quote Originally Posted by allen-ak View Post
    They have been around a long time, Herters sold them as the J9 w/o the adj trigger. I remember that they closed them out at $49 in the early 70's. GCA 68 put a crimp on their mail order gun sales. Hope that helps. Interarms was a big importer for years, Charles Daly for a while, now Remington.

I have a Mark X in 30-06, I have to say I like it.

Both are stamped "Zastava Yugoslavia" on the left tang. The earlier - judging by the SN - has an interesting adaptation of a military style trigger with a side safety added. The other has a more elaborate trigger similar to those used on many later style mausers. Appears that the two would interchange.
    From what I have read these came from the factory with both trigger types.

Mine had a trigger like the military type with safety. It had a lot of creep and if I was real careful I could take my finger off the trigger just before it fired and it would stay there, not good. I got a replacement adjustable Boyd Trigger with safety from midway for $44, no creep and I adjusted down the pull from the 4.5 lbs to about 3.

There are two problems with this trigger. One is that I had to remove the original safety so I can no longer lock the bolt. The other is that the sear has some play in it and needs some force to move it forward about 1/32" into contact with the trigger, also the trigger holds the cocking piece about 1/32" further back then the stock sear. The result was that the bolt needed more force then I like to move that last 1/16" or so before turn down. If not moving the bolt fast it felt like it was time to turn down and it would not be far enough forward. Fast cycling was no problem. To solve this I filed out the hole that the replacement trigger mounts on such that the trigger sits about 1/32" more forward. This has solved this problem and made bolt cycling much nicer.

I would really like to have a factory adjustable type trigger as I still have a way to lock the bolt when walking in the brush.

Default De Haas on the Mark X

I looked up the articles De Hass wrote in one of the first and one of the last editions.

The picture he has in the books shows the drilling for a peep site like mine - this is one of the first actions judging from the date of the first book.

His article in the finishing is pretty much dead on - a little heavy on the finishing buffing wheel but not too bad. The scope holes get covered up by the mount so I don't notice them much. I'll clean up most of the finishing errors if reblue it. Fit wise I don't see any real issues- it is pretty close to an FN in bolt wobble etc. There are no casting marks on parts like the current Rugers and everything is forged steel - that is a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by allen-ak View Post