Thread: May Halibut Fishing

Default May Halibut Fishing

Haven't done my research yet but maybe you guys can help. Looking for a Halibut Charter out of Seward in the last 10 days or so of May. Looking for any deals, specials, or suggestions. I've heard Crackerjack and Profish-N-Sea are excellent. Hoping to find a quality, affordable charter for 6 family members total. Thanks in advance

Try Jimmy, captian of the perseverence out of the fish house i've been fishing with him for the past 7 yrs. top of the line captian his boat is 50ft and can fish more than 14 people and we have limited out everytime we go out

If you plan on taking 6 people then I would try to book the whole boat on a 6 pack charter. Big 14 man boats are just recipes for tangles. Most of the time they will give you a bit of a discount if you fill the boat too.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by SperBear View Post
    ...I've heard Crackerjack and Profish-N-Sea are excellent...
    I would say you've pretty much heard all you need to hear, then. I believe both of those guys have cheaper rates in May than later in the summer. Really, you might find someone a little cheaper if you hunt, but you won't find anyone better to fish with.

PS - I've sent you a PM
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

You might also try Aurora Charters or Saltwater Safari's. The Fish House is sort of the brokerage for most of the halibut charters here in Seward and May is a slow month so I'm sure you can find a good one. I've got a trip booked with Aurora for the first of July.

Quote Originally Posted by 06tributeman View Post
    Try Jimmy, captian of the perseverence out of the fish house i've been fishing with him for the past 7 yrs. top of the line captian his boat is 50ft and can fish more than 14 people and we have limited out everytime we go out
    I agree. They have a great outfit. I used to go out on that boat a couple times a year. It was painfully slow. But, they have since repowered both of their boats and they make decent time now as they cruise at 20 kts or so. They scoot right along now.

John on Swell Time knows some good spots too. As does Steve and his old boat. I can't remember what he calls that thing......it a good boat, but slower than the grass grows since it is nearly a displacement hull. But, hey what can I say, it makes him money and he gets you on the fish.

Even though I have my own boat, I take one charter a year just to learn some new interesting spots to go to and further explore in my boat. May is great time to do it too since most of the month can be very bright and sunny. This year I will go out of Whittier just for the halibut on a charter just to see where they go.

All the ones that others have mentioned are great ones too. Isn't the shark boat the saltwater safari new boat. If so, I like it

No, that is some other new charter operation's boat.

If you can make it to the sportsman show you will find some good deals for may.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    This year I will go out of Whittier just for the halibut on a charter just to see where they go.
    More than likely they will head towards Montague Island or Hinchinbrook area.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Pro fish n sea is a class act. Capt. Steve will put you on some nice fish and he has a 6 pack boat if you want an exclusive. Tell him Ol'Glenn sent you. Good luck.