Thread: Survivorman - Seward Episode

Default Survivorman - Seward Episode

There was a episode shot in Seward a couple seasons ago of the above TV program on the discovery program. Does anyone know what bay or inlet they where at when it was shot?

Default name of bay

Taroka Arm
    www.lesstroudonline.com/blog/?p=14. hope this helps

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by AKDC View Post
    Taroka Arm
    www.lesstroudonline.com/blog/?p=14. hope this helps
    So is this at the base of Bear Glacier? That is what i thought while watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolman24 View Post
    So is this at the base of Bear Glacier? That is what i thought while watching it.
    No--Taroka Arm is well south of Bear Glacier. It is one arm of what is known as Two Arm Bay along the outer Kenai coast. Survivorman apparently set up his operation within Kenai Fjords National Park with no commercial filming permit (which is required) and also with other violations regarding food storage and other things. When the rangers visited him, rather than finding him alone in the wilderness, they found a support boat full of yummy food, hot showers, film crew etc., anchored nearby where "Survivorman" apparently spent his nights. The thing was a total fraud as far as being "reality," even if he does give some good survival tips on his show. Oh, and he also had no problem paying the $2000.00 or so in federal fines he racked up--just part of his show business budget, I guess!

Quote Originally Posted by akpfeiff View Post
    No--Taroka Arm is well south of Bear Glacier. It is one arm of what is known as Two Arm Bay along the outer Kenai coast. Survivorman apparently set up his operation within Kenai Fjords National Park with no commercial filming permit (which is required) and also with other violations regarding food storage and other things. When the rangers visited him, rather than finding him alone in the wilderness, they found a support boat full of yummy food, hot showers, film crew etc., anchored nearby where "Survivorman" apparently spent his nights. The thing was a total fraud as far as being "reality," even if he does give some good survival tips on his show. Oh, and he also had no problem paying the $2000.00 or so in federal fines he racked up--just part of his show business budget, I guess!
    Interesting post, thanks for the info.
    Although I've yet to see a good survival tip by this clown. My teenage daughter laughs at the stupid things he does and says.
    I have wondered about the legallity of his fishing (nets, spears, etc.)
    Not surprised by any of this though, the guy should be exposed and shamed for the fraud he really is.

I'd love to see a real survivorman show with some of Alaska's fine native and non-native youth.

Anyone have any links to the violations by Survivorman? I know when Bear Grylls was found out as a fraud it was all over the internet. They even changed the caveats at the beginning of his show to reflect having "support". I haven't seen anything about Les Stroud.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    Anyone have any links to the violations by Survivorman? I know when Bear Grylls was found out as a fraud it was all over the internet. They even changed the caveats at the beginning of his show to reflect having "support". I haven't seen anything about Les Stroud.
    Don't know if you can find the violations on the net, but I'm a personal friend of the guy who wrote the tickets, and apparently Stroud's crew had no real objection to paying up....

Quote Originally Posted by akpfeiff View Post
    Don't know if you can find the violations on the net, but I'm a personal friend of the guy who wrote the tickets, and apparently Stroud's crew had no real objection to paying up....
    Actually, not so hard to find the reference.....

http://home.nps.gov/applications/dig...idents&id=3362

I wnder if Les actually used the boat or was it just for the safety crew? akraven

The way they usually did the show was to scout out an area before hand to see if it was suitable for filming an episode. Stroud gets advice and training from locals on wild edibles in the area as well as what game and dangers the region holds. The crew is usually with him until he starts his seven day survival thing at which time they move off to a base camp and let him be. His support team is nearby in case things go wrong, usually 2 to 20 miles away depending on the terrain.

The fines may have been given during the scouting phase of the show planing and filming. That is when he would have been with his crew and sleeping on the boat while learning the local flora and fauna during the day.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

If you read the report there was no fines, he just had to pay the normal fee's that he should have paid when seeking the permit.

I watched that episode and in some ways it was hysterical. He was trying to catch a salmon using a salmon tail for bait that he found on the beach. He also was trying to catch Seagulls using the remains of that old rotted salmon. As I recall, he caught no fish and no seagulls.

Although I enjoy his show, I do sometimes wish he would do it in a manner helpful to the average person. You know, carry some of the same stuff a person out there would have. In only one episode has ever actually had a small "survival kit". While it's fun watching him start a fire with a pop can or a flashlight, I think it would be far more practical to see him show how to use common survival gear.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.