Thread: Anyone have a 416 barrel blank?

Default Anyone have a 416 barrel blank?

I am thinking that my Vz 24 large ring Mauser action might like to be a 416 Taylor,maybe 416 Ruger or something like that...

Anyone have any interesting barrels that would work in a large ring Mauser?
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Have you also looked into the 458AR? it will fit a mauser, or are you stuck pn a 416?

I may have to go with something else...
    I was just trying to think of something I do not now have , nor ever had...

I have owned two .458 Winchester Mags and one 458 x 2 inch American.
    I also have a 45-70 or two right now.

It is not like I really need anything... just thinking how I never owned anything in 416 caliber.

Default .416? barrel for '98 mauser

I have a 26" .416 barrel threaded and contoured for a 98 mauser but unchambered. Gunsmith I got it from said it was and it is marked it as a Shilen barrel but I have no way to verify.

Not sure if it is SS or CS, I need to try some cold blue on it I guess. I will assume CS until I test it.

Got any thing interesting to trade or ??

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I am thinking that my Vz 24 large ring Mauser action might like to be a 416 Taylor,maybe 416 Ruger or something like that...

Anyone have any interesting barrels that would work in a large ring Mauser?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I see that Midway is selling Adams and Bennett barrel blanks in 416 for an ok price...
    Not sure about their quality.

How much do you think yours is worth?

Default .416 barrel

I'll take $125 for it - about the same as you would pay for the Adams & Bennett with postage. I can't guarantee it is a Shilen but the gunsmith I purchased it from swore it was a Shilen and he appeared to honest about everything else he had for sale. If there is any way to tell - no. of grooves etc. - let me know and I will check.

Looking a it again it appears to have a few slight traces of surface discoloration so it must be CS as I suspected.

Threading and outside finish where he turned it looks like quality work. I don't have an action to try it in but you can bring one with you and check before you pay for it if you want to buy it.

I see that Midway is selling Adams and Bennett barrel blanks in 416 for an ok price...
    Not sure about their quality.

How much do you think yours is worth?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

All the bbl blanks I have gotton were marked on hte chamber side. some said "sh" others were marked shillen. you should have the caliber stamped, contour, grade and c/m or stainless and twist.

My douglas blank I have now is marked douglas.

Default barrel blanks

Likewise for blanks I have.

This a threaded contoured barrel so any marked would have been lost when it was finished. Threading looks like it was done on a lathe as the treads go all the way to the shoulder as they should - theads cut with a die - like on some cheaper barrels - don't do that.

In looking at the Midway site Adams & Bennett doesn't have a .416 barrel - they jump all the way up to .458 from the .35 or .375 calibers.

I'm getting temped to keep it and put it on one of the FN or Mark X actions I've gotten recently - either a .416 Taylor or maybe I can stretch in a .416 Remington. Lee sells cheap dies for both and the reamers cost the same. Something new to play with - just what I need

Quote Originally Posted by Blink View Post
    All the bbl blanks I have gotton were marked on hte chamber side. some said "sh" others were marked shillen. you should have the caliber stamped, contour, grade and c/m or stainless and twist.

My douglas blank I have now is marked douglas.

That explains it if it is already threaded.

I'm gonna be building a 458AR and I need it like I need a hole in my head, but a good 458 that fits in a standard action, I just cant pass it up. I hate being a gunnut.

I wonder if anyone still rents chamber reamers?

In looking at the Midway site Adams & Bennett doesn't have a .416 barrel
    They are just out of stock right now... here is the link
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=694972

I like the idea of a barrel already being threaded for a large ring Mauser...
    One less hastle to worry about down here at the end of the road.
    I need to drive up to Anchorage pretty soon for a shopping trip...

Sent you a PM ..

Default 416

I wonder if anyone still rents chamber reamers?

They are just out of stock right now... here is the link
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=694972

I like the idea of a barrel already being threaded for a large ring Mauser...
    One less hastle to worry about down here at the end of the road.
    I need to drive up to Anchorage pretty soon for a shopping trip...
    This is the barrell that I used to build my 416 Taylor my gunsmith also built a 416 Taylor using this barrell. We have both been very pleased with the rifles that we built.
    I built mine as a back-up rifle for when friends come up hunting from the lower 48, he built his to take to Africa.
    Mine weighs 9 3/4 lbs with 2x6 scope, and 10 1/2 lbs with the mercury recoil reducer in the stock ( I only use that for yearly benchrest scope checks).
    Mine shoots 350 grn Barnes bullets into an 1 inch @ 100 yds, and 400 grn hornadys into an 1 1/2 @ 100 yds. It might do better with some more experimentation, but I decided this was good enough for my uses.
    I like mine much better than any of the 458 caliber rifles I've owned.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I have a 416 Barrel blank, a set of 416 Taylor Dies and a 416 Chamber reamer coming in the mail...
    Hopefully....

Default Enjoy

The picking out the pieces and building a rifle you want is half the fun of a new gun many shooters will never have; as they prefer "off the shelf" rifles.
    Being familiarized with the 458 caliber rifles you'll have no problems with the 416 Taylor. As it has about 15-20% reduction in recoil and a decreased tragectory over the 458 Winny.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

I picked a 416 caliber just because there seems to be a caliber hole in the collection. I have never had anything in 416. 405 is as close as I can get.
    By the time I sink a bunch of money into this Mauser action, I will have yet another rifle worth $450 that I have spent $800 to make.

I have or have had one or more:
    50-90 Sharps
    458 Win
    458 x2 inch American
    45-90
    45-70
    405 Win
    40-65 Win
    348 Win
    38 WCF
    375 HH
    358 Norma
    350 Rem Mag
    338 Win
    7.92x57mm
    30-06
    308 Win
    7x57
    6.8x43mm
    6.5x55mm Swede
    220 Swift
    223 Rem

Default List

Take your list and add the following calibers, and those would be the ones I've owned or still own. And I'm sure I left out a few.

22 Jet, 22 Hornet, 222 R, 222 RM, 22 PPC, 6x47,6 TCU,6 PPC,6mm BR,257 Roberts, 6.5 MS, 7 TCU,7mmBR, 280, 7mm S&H, 7mm RM,7.62x39,30-30,30-40K ,308 x1 1/2,300 Sav.,30 Herrett, 30 IHMSA,300 Win Mag,375 Hawk,416 Taylor,458 Watts,50-140.

Then subtract these as I just haven't got around to them yet; 38 WCF,348 Win, 358 Norma.

You did remind me about the disassembled Win 95 in 30-40 out in the shop and the Win 94 30-30 in the truck...(time to spray it with oil again.)My m700 300 win magas well. I must have had a couple Ak's or SKS at some time or another but they never turned my prop.
    The 7mm BR on your list is one that I always wanted to play with... It seems like it would be a interesting short barrel cartridge...

I hope this 416 project works out. I saw a few commercial Mauser magnum bolts for sale. If I figure the time and money to open up the bolt face and then weld on a sporter bolt handel, (Plus blue) it may actualy be less expensive just to use a new magnum bolt and headspace from that bolt.
    I will be installing a Dakota M-70 style safety.