Thread: Need a little gps help.....

Question Need a little gps help.....

I bought a Lowrance 527C DF gps/sonar and a Nauticpath USA card. I had hoped I could just stick the NP card in my computer to review charts/plan trips etc. but apparently it does not work that way. Is there any way to power up the Lowrance system indoors short of setting up a 12 volt battery?...some sort of converter? My ignorance cup runneth over!

Default Some options

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    I bought a Lowrance 527C DF gps/sonar and a Nauticpath USA card. I had hoped I could just stick the NP card in my computer to review charts/plan trips etc. but apparently it does not work that way. Is there any way to power up the Lowrance system indoors short of setting up a 12 volt battery?...some sort of converter? My ignorance cup runneth over!
    I don't think there is a way to run the Lowrance without making a 12 V source but there are other options for planning and daydreaming.

I loaded Maptechs free Chart Navigator on my PC and loaded the free NOAA maps to it. You can then move Waypoints from it to Lowrance fairly easily. This is the cheapest way to get good PC charts. I think I you can find the instructions for setting it up by doing a search as I wrote about it last summer. If not let me know and I will try and explain it.

There is also a fairly new option, at least new to me, that appears to combine Google Earth/Ocean and NOAA charts to give a sattelite as well as chart view of the same area. Be careful it is kind of addicting and you can waste a lot of time. http://demo.geogarage.com/noaa/?lat=...472168&zoom=13

You are not able to set waypoints but you can get Lat and Lon from the lower left corner.

Now thats a BIG help! Thanks, Tolman 24...I'll give it a whirl. Probably should have waited on the plotter but I bit on a screamin deal anyway. Lots of sanding and related activities before I need to spring for additional "electrics" on my project.