Thread: Loading the Oldies

Question Loading the Oldies

I am looking for information and loading data for the 1895 Winchester calibers.
    Specifically, the 405 and 35 WCF. New brass is available now for these and many good cast bullets as well as JSP's. I have loaded for the 405 some but not the 35 and I don't want to miss anything. I have access to some data in various books and loading manuals but would like real world info if possible. Hornady supports the 405 with both brass and their .411" 300 grain JSP. I also have some Barnes Originals in 300 grains at .410". I'll be shooting that in a Ruger No. 1 so I can shoot it at any level. Perhaps a TR lion is in it's future. The 35 is an 1895 oldie.

Any thought on these relics from the past? Good shootin'.

Murphy

Default Loading the .405

Murphy,

It's been a while since I loaded the .405, but I still have a couple loads in my old notes. Maybe they'll be useful. 300gr RNSP, I think Winchester- 56 grains of IMR3031 just under 2,200 fps in the Mdl 1895 I WISH I still had. It had a beautiful bore. The other was with a Lyman 316 bullet I cast that came out to about 310 grains at about 1750fps which gave me 3" groups at 100 yards. My eyes were a LOT better then. A medium load using 38 grains of IMR3031. I always used Winchester primers. A softer primer coup that showed pressure signs a little sooner, but very consistent. The previous owner had installed a Pachmayr pad on the gun, and I didn't mind. Hope this helps some.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Murphy I don't have have load data for the 405 but I might have some data for the 35 Winchester squirreled away around here. The 35 is on par with the 358 Winchester(very under rated cartridge). I played heck trying to find smokeless data for the 50/110 that I just put on my Encore.

Hey Murph.

I've been on the road the last 10 weeks, so sorry for the belated reply. I have loaded for two 35 Winchesters over the years- one a 95 and the other a hi wall custom. Sad to say neither was mine and they weren't for sale at any price. Coincidentally both liked the same loads, whether that's chance or an indication of good loads: 249gr cast gas check- 15 grains Unique. 200 grain jacketed- 48.5 grains 3031, 250 grain jacketed- 51 grains 4320. According to my notes that last was about max in the 95, while the hi wall seemed willing to go higher, but I didn't push it.

Default 35 wcf

Murphy, No experience with the 405 but some with the 35. I use Bertram brass for it- maybe the only headstamped game in town. Forget resizing 30-40! Maybe squeezing down 405 Hornady... but dunno. I think you load shouldered cases with the partial FL method- seems to work very well with the 35WCF even though it's rimmed. Also, by doing that it should be very easy on the brass especially at original 95 pressures- giving good longevity. The one I have has an excellent bore and is 104 yrs old. I think Win chambered them liberally and set the throat length for the 250 grain bullet. My best loads are somewhat mild and extremely accurate with the Lyman 38 peep rear and post/bead front. The best being modest loads of either IMR 4320 or VV N140 behind the 200-225 grain jacketed bullets. My best compromise bullet seating depth is about .025 off the lands which requires seating the bullet out a little for those with a cannelure. Have fun!

Default Oldies Data..

Thanks guys,

I have an opportunity to load for a '95 in 35 WCF, made in 1904 and looks almost new. It's awesome!! Worth about $3500 or maybe more, so I don't want to screw up here. The guy wants good hunting loads for moose this fall, he's going to hunt the way his great uncle did. It has a Lyman tang sight and I get to shoot it. I have dies now and bullets coming from a couple makers, just 250 grainers, and a lighter cast bullet to load for a grouse load. I also have some Bertram brass and I think this is the only maker. This will be fun.

I have a recent made Ruger No. 1 in 405, the 1-H, with a pretty heavy barrel. I haven't loaded for it yet and have bullets coming for it also. I have loaded for the 405 WCF before but a custom on a No.3 action. I would probably try to buy an 1895 in this "lion" caliber if I could find a nice one. Hornady has brass and a .411" 300 grain JSP for this one and I ordered some Hawks also. The 41 Mag bullets will also work and I am going to get Marshall Stanton of Bear Tooth to size some 265 grain WLNGC to .412" and try those for a "pot" load. I am getting more and more into cast bullets for old calibers, this doesn't mean I'm old fashioned does it? Maybe just old!

I'll try your data guys, thanks. Good shootin'.

Murphy