Thread: The mudd ox

Thumbs up The mudd ox

Well I went for a short ride today and I was impressed in the machine....(Even though I own Argo )It turns great, lots of power, and the 20" tracks are deep lugged for good traction.I think this machine is going to be a winner, to use in alaska.The machines have only been in the state for a couple weeks now.
    They will be out at Kinik around 11:00am in the parking lot past the raceway
    on sunday. So if you want a outing go check them out............. E-K-C

Default Mudd OX

I also have a Mudd Ox and I live in Seward. So, if anyone wants to take a look at one and is closer to Seward than Anchorage; send a PM and we'll arrange a test ride.

A few pics

I've always wondered why these guys (argo, maxx, and now this one) don't go with larger tires? It seems like they could lengthen the wheelbase a foot and stick some 27" tires on which would really improve the clearance.

Other than a mid engine on this thing, what tells it apart from an Argo?
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Difference

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    I've always wondered why these guys (argo, maxx, and now this one) don't go with larger tires? It seems like they could lengthen the wheelbase a foot and stick some 27" tires on which would really improve the clearance.

Other than a mid engine on this thing, what tells it apart from an Argo?
    The Mudd-Ox has 13.5" of ground clearance stock. I believe that is more clearance than most atvs.

This is a post from AKexpress34 from the knik riding thread. I think it answers your question.

AKexpress34 wrote:
    The most significant difference between a Mudd-Ox and an Argo,Max etc is the hydrostatic drive. An argo has mechanical skid steer mechanism that applies the brakes on one side to turn and has an open differential that applies the power to the side with the least traction. An argo has as a two speed forward and single speed reverse transmission. , the Mudd-Ox has a true hydrostatic system with a large hydraulic pump the runs two Procline hydraulic motors,,
    one for each side. Because it is hydraulic the motors can run forward or reverse and the there is no need to stop to change direction. this allows your to counterrotate one side over the other and turn within its own length. A true eight wheel drive. It also allows a very smooth application of power either with engine speed or application of hydraulic power with the levers, and easy way to drive it is to just windup the engine and just use the levers to apply speed-it is very intuitive to drive and a rank novice can do it with ease. both systems use a belt CVT to run transmission or hydraulic pump. There are many other differences including the Mudd-Ox's greater towing capacity , larger tires, greater ground clearance,standard roll bar, wider tracks available, higher horsepower(40),made in USA(Indiana),backit dash,heated throttle cable,heavier duty chains, standard back seat backrest,bilge pump,4000lb winch with wired remote, and grab rails.
    Feel free to PM me or jammin or fishhunter if you want any other info

They look neat , But I found a few things that would not work for me in my business.Looks like no way to get 5-6 adults in there. The main safety hazard I see for my is the muffler out the side , I have enough folks get burned with it on the front let alone if it was in the middle. Now If it were just me for going hunting I'd jump on the new mud ox in a heatbeat. I love the design and all the goodies on it looks like more leg room up front

what the price on those vs argo ?
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

It is designed for six adults on land and 4 on the water. the exhaust is not any more of a safety factor then an argo in fact the problem with the argo is you tend to stand next to the exhaust because of the flat hood and placing things there. the exhaust on the mudd-ox is actually slightly recessed due to the way the upper body is shaped around the mid engine. the overall dimensions are essentially the same as an avenger. If you want added water capacity there is dually wheel option available. the ergonomics for the driver and passenger are great with much more leg room,rear seating is similar to an argo. Pricing is favorable to an argo avenger. Mudd-Ox has put 27 inch tires of them so that is possible (Kenda Bearclaws work for sure) and after market wheels, although the factory wheels are special bead-lock wheels that allow down to 1 lb of pressure,and the goodyear tire swim very well and the factory tracks also swim well which is not the case with other tracks (argo). Argos are great machines it is just that there is technology out now that is an improvement and Mudd-Ox is taking advantage of it. I previously owned an argo and there is no comparison.

The first thing that caught my eye was were the engine is located ,I bet it floats more even then an argo ,And I love all the extras on that thing

What is the price of the Mudd Ox? Is it about the same as the Argo? I have a Conquest but have been thinking about up grading in a year or so. How long has the Mudd Ox been around and who has parts for them? Thanks

I saw your blog and am trying to find out information on the Mudd-Ox. I guess if you own one, first hand knowledge is always best. I would really like to visit with about your rig. My email is beppybeth@alaska.net or my PH# (907)235-2603 (Homer) Thanks.
    Mike Eastham

Default Mudd ox info

Here is a link to their web site
    http://www.muddox.net/Home.html

One question to you guys who own Argos; is there a problem with the body cracking with the extreme cold? It looks like the Mudd ox has a plastic or fiberglass body also. Just wondering as I am sure you put your equipment through the tests. Thanks, Mark

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    Here is a link to their web site
    http://www.muddox.net/Home.html

One question to you guys who own Argos; is there a problem with the body cracking with the extreme cold? It looks like the Mudd ox has a plastic or fiberglass body also. Just wondering as I am sure you put your equipment through the tests. Thanks, Mark
    Never had anything crack on an argo , My neighbor uses his all winter to go up to the cabin no matter what the temp.

I have used my argo in -30 and didn't have any problems with starting running or body stress. I use mine all winter.

Default Tub material

I think the mudd-ox and the argo are made out of the same material --HDPE--it is a petroleum product. I work with HDPE pipe and on piping it can have problems at -40 or 180 on the high side. We have had pipe crack after this range...... E-K-C

Default Mudd-Ox plowing

Here is some footage of the Mudd-Ox Plowing 5-6" of snow. The snow was very heavy and wet. It was about 31 degrees outside and probably 75 in the cab (notice the windows rolled up). I was really surprised how well the Ox did pushing such heavy snow. It slid out a few times but I am going to remedy that with some chains on the front tires. The neat thing about the OX is; when the plow blade catches and folds over the driver can back up, let the blade to pop into position, and then proceed forward without taking their hands off the controls. I am still a novice with my mudd-ox but I can already plow my driveway faster with it than I can with a pick up truck. Even if it wasn't faster I wouldn't care because it is so much more fun in the Ox. It is just like driving a piece of equipment. I didn't get any footage of it but the plow back drags quite well also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcruRLUtmOg

How is that Viper Winch holding up on the Mudd-Ox? I'm thinking about buying on for my argo. Thanks

How much heavier is it over an Argo? Some of the trails I use are posted that vehicles with a GVWR over 1500 lbs is prohibited. My Conquest is 1050 lbs empty.

The base machine has a GVWR of about 1480 lbs and just like an Argo that is without accessory add ons however it should therefore meet the 1500 lb weight limit.

www.alaskamuddox.com
    www.muddox.net

So is anyone in AK selling these yet? I have to admit this machine has really sparked my interest. My hunting party all use the avengers. I would like to take a closer look, is a demo for a few perspective buyers possible?

The are available in Anchorage now.
    www.alaskamuddox.com
    There will be a booth at the Great Alaska Sportsman show in Ben Boeke and one on tracks will be at Arctic Man in the runway parking area