View Poll Results: What information is ok to share about a draw hunt?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Share everything, it is a hard to draw hunt!

22 38.60%
  • Everything but the GPS coordinates and tracks

5 8.77%
  • Everything but the specific location

15 26.32%
  • Only the general details, stories, and photos

15 26.32%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DS204, looking for information

Smile DS204, looking for information

I was lucky enough to draw this permit with a friend of mine. We are going to be flying in with Jim Cummings on 8/26 (first day that we can). Due to a few cocnflicts (like my wife having a baby), we are only going to be in there for 5 days. We are Jim's first flight on the 26th and last one out on the 31st.

I've been on two other sheep hunts before, but this is the first time that I have drawn a permit. It is also the first time that I have been into this area.

We are planning to fly the area at least two times this summer to get an idea of what the area looks like and where the sheep might be. Before anyone jumps on this, we are planning to stay as high as possible and as far away as possible from the sheep to keep from spooking them. We may also try and get in there on foot if time allows.

I'm looking for specifics on good and bad areas. What gets hunted harder in the early season (DS203) hunt that we might be able to avoid and find rams that have seen less pressure. What to expect for weather (I am guessing just like any mountain range...varies). And I guess just about anything else that people are willing to share.

If you have any information to share, I would love to hear about it.

I am open to sharing everything that I learn and experience on this hunt in late September. I'd like to know how people feel about how much is too much. I think this one is ok to share a bit since it is a draw area and won't be giving away a secret spot. Let me know in the poll though....

Thanks for everything!
    Richard
    Last edited by oakman; 02-14-2009 at 17:08. Reason: adding a poll if I can

I'm usually pretty tight lipped about hunting areas, but a tough draw permit like this is a little different story. Even if location information is shared the area isn't going to be overwhelmed with hunters because only a few will get the tags in a given year. I'd say it's perfectly acceptable to give out specifics because it isn't going to lead to a deluge of hunters moving in and over hunting the resource, and it may be a very long time before the people that have hunted it will ever get the chance to do it again. I'd say keep the info to emails and pm's though. No need to post it all over a public forum. I'd say all of the aforementioned are valid points, along with the fact that I drew DS204 this year as well so all the information I can get is great. Many thanks to those that have already offered up there past experiences in there. Good luck to you oakman.

Jeff

Default Good Karma

Sounds like my hunting partner and I will be spending some time just a few ridges over from you Jeff and Richard, as we both drew tags for DS103. We too will be flying with Jim of Golden Eagle. Those flights alone are spendy, but we are approaching this hunt as a "hunt of a lifetime." With any luck it won't be, but for us both to draw we are taking a no holds barred approach to this hunt, especially since I have yet to harvest a sheep.

Isn't it good karma to help out a fellow hunter? With a minimum of four years between draws in the management/controlled use areas, I don't see much argument for not offering some lessons learned. In all honesty it is the bad experiences with air charters, weather, locations, etc. that I find the most useful to hear about.

So if anyone is willing to share information about the TMA, I'd love a PM. I have a couple of areas penciled in on the map, but always welcome the opportunity to talk sheep.

Oh yeah, 193 'til late season sheep '09...

Bryan

Default Sharing

My brother got a SPOT for xmas and has offered to loan it to me for my hunts this fall. I remember seeing a post last year where someone let us look at his track log on the map and the works.

I'm not sure if I am ready for that, but I am certainly open to sharing a detailed account of my preparation and the trip.

The biggest that that I have noticed so far is how I can't think of anything else but DS204! Hopefully I make it to opening day (8/26).

Richard

p.s. I appreciate the feedback on the poll and the comments on your views.

I think that Mtn Wx nailed it on the head by asking for folks to PM him with info if they are willing to do so, not to post it in the open on the forum. Look at it this way Oakman, how many people drew DS204, and if guys here start saying land here, and hike this creek and theres this mountain, if you catch my drift, theres a lot more people than you that drew that tag, and many that have probably done some homework, and or just plain know the area. So my $.02 is that if someone wants to help someone out with draw tag hunt info, doing so via PM is probably the best way.

My answer on your poll isn't up there as a choice, but if it were it would be to share info at will via PM.

Default good point

Alaska Cub you make a good point. Simply keeping secrets for the reason of keeping areas private isn't any good to me....but when you think of it like this it makes more sense.

I guess the only other thought I have on an area like this is there are a lot of miles and a lot of sheep there. If there is more than one guy sharing information on places to go, then people getting information here might be more spread out. Kinda like information overload.

I'll take this to heart though and keep the more precise details of my hunt fairly private. I do plan to post my experiences with such things as planning, gear reviews, stalking, etc.

Thanks for the advice!

as for the area, your scouting flights and a good talk with the local bio should nail down your hunt area for you. Gear and what to expect might be better questions from in the forum here.
    have a great hunt
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post

I guess the only other thought I have on an area like this is there are a lot of miles and a lot of sheep there. If there is more than one guy sharing information on places to go, then people getting information here might be more spread out. Kinda like information overload.
    Not really Oakman, cuz theres only so many places that Jim, Gary, and 40 mile can safely drop you off at. Thats the thing with sheep hunting, you could only have 1-2 safe places to drop hunters in a 50 sq mile area, hence the crowding issues and creed of secrecy. I flew out on a sheep hunt in the north side of the Alaska range and expected to be alone. I was flown out by Gary (M&M) and then had Jim (Golden Eagle) drop 2 hunters right on top of us, used the same 40 yard strip, all this is less than 16 hours and in a very small area not really capable of handling 2 groups of sheep hunters. Just food for thought, you might not be alone wherever you fly into cuz the air charters dont talk to each other.....at all!

So that is some good information to have. Has anyone else experienced this? Are there certain areas that are more prone to getting crowded? When I talked to Jim Cummings to book our flight, he gave me 6 or 7 options on drop offs. Some of these were more than others.

I'm wondering now if we should have paid a little extra....

Of course, if you have any information....a PM works great for me.

Default Sheep Drop offs?

Oakman, I have signed up to be dropped off by Jim the first season and have been wondering about many of the same things you mention! I am somewhat concerned of getting flown in and finding out that several other guys from different flight services may be dropped off in the same location. From what I've heard there are only so many places that hunters can be dropped off; however, 40 Mile, M&M, or Golden Eagle will only sign up an alloted number of their own hunters in each spot.

I'm curious if it my be worth calling the other air services to see if they plan on dropping anyone else off at the same time and location? There may also be a few walk-in hunters but if you are deep enough hopefully they won't be competing for the same locations?

If you would like to work together on this effort maybe we can help eachother out. I can likely let you know what I see when we return from our trip. I hope we both have incredible experiences! You can email me at: jseb@lamar.colostate.edu if interested.

I also drew DS204 and have a had a few other people pm me about some info for that hunt. In my case, with me drawing this tag I find it difficult to give out info knowing if I do, I will have competition before me and possibly during my hunt. Now if I didn't have a tag, I would have no problem helping another hunter out via pm or e-mail. I have helped others in the past and would hope that others that have drawn before me would be willing to share info.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    I flew out on a sheep hunt in the north side of the Alaska range and expected to be alone. I was flown out by Gary (M&M) and then had Jim (Golden Eagle) drop 2 hunters right on top of us, used the same 40 yard strip, all this is less than 16 hours and in a very small area not really capable of handling 2 groups of sheep hunters.
    Fairly common experience in the DCUA.

I drew this hunt in 05. Jim from Golden Eagle was great. He dropped us off and we didn't see another hunter the entire hunt. Planned a 10 dayer but got 1st ram the first legal day to hunt and got the 2nd on the 3rd day. Trip of a lifetime.

Default Here's another scenario

A private plane or two drops people off in those places that the charter guys do and THEN drops you off there after! I had a buddy have this scenario. The charter guy dropped off some hunters, they spent their time there, and then a private plane hunted in there (the charter knew this), yet still dropped my buddy off there. End of story, it was a small area and the sheep were gone. This was a TMA permit and he ended up not having a hunt of a lifetime. More scenarios to think about.

Oakman,
    I got lucky also. Will be Jim's last flight out on the 26th...........I'll PM you with other details.

Dave

Thumbs up drop-offs

For those of you contracting the three air transporters for drop-off services within the DCUA...you will absolutely see other drop-off hunters from the other two air transporters servicing the area.

First of all, for the first hunt there is only two airstrips that can be used. Each permits winner wants to be in position to kill a ram as early as Aug 10th, so those that fly in will want to fly in on Aug 7th, 8th, or 9th. Next, be aware that just because ABC Air dropped you off at the Charley Boyd Airstrip, ABC Air could very well drop me off at the same spot a day later. In addition, a lot of Alaskan sheep hunters own their own aircraft. And these two airstrips are long and easy strips to land on. And for the second DCUA hunt there are many additional smaller air strips that can be used or invented by talented pilots. There will absolutely be some air traffic at the airstrips prior to the hunts.

And that is where sheep hunting starts. The sheep themselves are not that hard to kill, but the country they live in is always rough and tough and will challenge your fitness and commitment. A successful DCUA expedition involves some specialized equipment, hunting-backpacking-trophy care skills, and substancial pre-hunt research, organization, and planning. Most sheep hunts will require a period of cat-like patience and occasionally an obsessive rage to succeed. All sheep hunts will require physical persistence and mental toughness.

It is big country. Expect to see competition at the airstrips. Prepare to out-work and out-hike everyone else.

It is a great hunt in a very great Alaskan wilderness.

Dennis
    Alaska True Adventure Guide Service

Default what the others have said...

I would approach this hunt with the expectation of seeing other hunters and quite possibly ones that have flown into the same strip as you are going to. Jim won't dump another group on you but the competition might.

Also, you should remember that atv hunters will have free range on the 204 hunt as well and they can get into some amazing country in the DCUA. There are many established trails.

Having said all that you can still have a successful hunt...even with the other parties around you. As Dennis said, be prepared to hike farther if need be.

Good luck on your hunt.

For those of you that have hunted DS204 before, about how far did you have to hike before seeing sheep and how far to "get away from it all".

Richard

Default Hunting Pressure?

Oakman,
    I haven't set foot inside Delta yet so don't claim to be an expert but it sounds like sheep are scattered throughout the entire range of the unit. From what I've been told you can get dropped off up higher inside the unit during the 2nd season that will almost put you right on the sheep. I would think that areas (such as the Johnson and other fairly accessible areas) that have pretty high pressure during the 1st season will spook rams back into more isolated spots during the 2nd season? Obviously if there is some weather (snow) it may drive some of the rams farther down the canyons or on wind swept/melted ridgelines? If you are going to hike and not fly you are likely looking at a 7 to 25 mile hike in each direction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast