Thread: New Reel

Default New Reel

Just picked up a Loomis Eastfork fly reel for my new rod...can't wait to use it in May/June when I get back up to AK on my break! Any suggestions on a floating line? I've heard and read Rio makes some decent lines. Any opinions on Scientific Angler?

Sapper in the Skies

Default line

I think comparing Rio to Scientific Angler is like comparing ford to chevy. You are going to find people who use and like both, and people who don't like one or the other. I use both brands, but my favorite is the SA GPX. It is a great all around floating line. The Rio Grand line is comparable to the GPX, but I think the GPX floats a little higher, and I can cast it a little farther than the Rio.

Jake

Would this be the line with the loop at the end of it? How do you like that? I'm sure some people prefer to tie their leaders on but I was curious about the GPX too.

I'm not so hot on the loop thing. I've heard they get caught up in the eyelets alot when using shorter leaders. I just clipped mine off. One thing to remember about the sa gpx and the rio grand is that both of the lines are overweighted by a 1/2 size, which will load the rod a little quicker and aid in casting either larger flies or in the wind. I use the rio gold on my 5 wt set-up and I really like it alot, it gives me just that little extra sauce when I need it. Which is good when throwing streamers, and weighted nymph rigs. I'm not sure how much of a diffrence the extra weight would be say in the 8 wt, where you already have a relatively stiff rod. Both lines are great, I wouldn't hestitae buying either. I think the only reason I went with rio is because I liked the camo line color more than the lime green gpx.

Default line loops

I clip the little welded loops off too. I tie on a piece of amnesia shooting line to the end of the fly line using 2 nail knots, then tie a surgeons loop in the other end to make loop to loop connections from line to leader. A bonus with the amnesia line is that it is brightly colored,( I use the bright red), so it works like an indicator when nymphing.

Jake

I use the SA as my floating lines and I actually use the Rio as my sink tip lines. If you go to the fly shop in Fairbanks, on University Ave, you can buy lines from there and they will load the reel for free. Also, Howie and his crew will put together a loop connector on the line, tie it down and then cement it down. I use the loop connector on all of my fly setups. I love it. It really comes in handy when fishing faster/deeper water. I had them rig up some Rio T-12 in 3, 6, and 10ft sections with loops on the end of those. It gives you several options to get the fly down quickly.

Just my thoughts.

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

I've heard good things about the airflow ridgeline
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.