Thread: Mooring the Boat

Smile Mooring the Boat

I have a question for you adventurers out there that have experience in beaching your boat for camping. I'm going to be doing some camping in one of the cove areas across from Homer and I'm not certain how I should secure the boat on the beach. My vessel is small, a 17' Hewescraft Searunner, and I was thinking of using an anchor in the stern and a rope in the the bow that would be tied to shore. I was planning to beach at high tide and let it settle at low tide. This is for a hunting trip and I would be spending time on shore with possible trips back to the boat for fishing now and then if hunting is not going well. Since I haven't done this before, I thought I'd ask the experts. I've only beached temporarily prior to this and didn't need to worry about the tides.

I appreciate any suggestions/comments/advice.

Thanks
    Mike

Default Anchor Buddy

Hey Mike,
    Check out the Anchor Buddy at sportsmans warehouse. It is a great big bungy cord that you hook to an anchor off the stern, power into the beach, throw your bowline to a buddy, jump off and it pulls your boat back off the beach for you. It works real well. The only precaution I found (personal experience) is to make sure you have a very good bowline. The first time I did this in PWS I grabbed the bowline to pull it back in and it pulled loose. It is a pretty crummy feeling looking at your boat that far out and knowing you have quite awhile till low tide and you might still have to get into that ice cold water. It works real well check it out.
    John

Smile Anchor Bungee

Live2fish, I have never heard of that bungee before. Always learning something new. Your story was a good one, too. I thought I was the only one that did things like that. I'll have to check that system out. Thanks.

Mike

I personally would get a small one man kayak or equivalent which weighs about 40 pounds and anchor out and then go to shore. If you are on a beach with a shallow slant to it you will need a large amount of line. If something goes wrong and line does not retrieve the boat you have a swim in very cold water. The kayak is also fun for the kids and others to use on really good days if ashore for a picnic or other reason.

I used to try to anchor with line etc and finally decided less work to just haul along a kayak. Fred Meyer has them as well as in season Costco.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default 15-20 danforth

Option 1- I would use a 15-20 pound danforth and about 5ft of chain. Tie a line to the front of the anchor so when you pull on it from shore the flukes are not digging in and catching. Now place the anchor on the bow of the boat and shove the boat out and when it is where you want it jerk the anchor off the bow and walla the anchor is deployed, now tie or anchor the end in your hands somewhere way above high tide mark, or tie to a tree.
    Option 2- at high tide bow up to the beach and pull anchor way up into grass and then tie anchor to a tree.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Default Offshore Anchor

Remove your anchor from the chain clevis. Attach a separate 80 ft piece of anchor rope to your anchor. Add a good loop to the end of the 80 ft piece. Take your main anchor rope and determine where the half way point is and attach it to the bow cleat at that point and run the other half thru the loop on the 80 ft piece attached to your anchor. Drop your anchor up to 150 ft off shore (300ft anchor rope) and motor in as you play out the 1/2 thats still attached thru the loop on the 80ft piece. Using your anchor rope that's looped thru the 80 ft piece you can pull your boat back out/in (tie your anchor rope into a loop) thru the loop attached. Just make sure you always have a good secure attachment to shore. If done correctly it will always pull from the anchor during the tides and your boat will be safely anchored 150 ft offshore.
    DONT EVER TRY TO SWIM TO AN ANCHORED BOAT IN ALASKA! I KNOW OF TWO DEATHS AND HAVE HEARD OF A FEW VERY CLOSE CALLS FROM PEOPLE TRYING THAT. YOUR BODY SYSTEMS SHUT DOWN TO FAST IN THE COLD WATER.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default kodiak tides

we have a 8ft swing here, so if you have a bigger tide your best bet is to raft ashore or be dried up for the duration. On small skiffs we used the oars as rollers to get the boat back in the water, but then again we have small tides. Yes DO NOT try and swim for the boat.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Default running line

If you don't mind spending a little money, another good set up is a running line which is just like a clothes line. It allows you to anchor your boat, and yet retrieve it at any stage of the tide if you set it up in the right spot. You need an anchor and buoyline and buoy, two pulleys and a loop of line long enough to get your boat out into deep water from shore and another piece of line for attaching the set up to the beach.

You need good quality pulleys that with withstand salt water and not rust and they need to be strong enough for the size boat you have. All lines should be appropriate for the size boat you use too.

The only drawback is hauling extra stuff around with you.

I started using running lines when I set netted in Kodiak. The tides were big and the shores rocky and we needed to be able to use the skiff at all stages of the tide. We couldn't afford to have our skiff go dry. This system allowed us to reel the skiff in whenever we needed it.

The only two problems using them I can think of was, you needed to remember too tie a line in front on the inshore pulley so the force of wind and waves wouldn't cause the boat to creep in towards the beach on the running line. The second problem was sometimes the outside pulley would spin and the clothesline would wrap around itself. The fix was to attach about a six foot piece of 2x6 between the pulley and the buoy. Never had a problem with spinning again. This is something you may or may not need in your situation.

The second method I use for anchoring from the beach is to attach a long line to the trip line hole on a Bruce type anchor. I tie my anchor line to a cleat (making sure there is plenty of line for the depth of the water) coil it with the line closest to the cleat on bottom, and stack it on my bow with the anchor on the edge of the boat. I nose up to the beach and hop out with the line that is attached to the trip line hole. (after unloading whatever I need on the beach) Then I push my boat out into deep water feeding the trip line out so it doesn't tangle. When the boat gets out to where I want it, I jerk on the trip line causing the anchor to fall overboard. Then I attach the anchor to a big rock or a sturdy tree. I usually only use this method if it's fairly calm out and the beach drops off fairly quickly to a depth that is safe to leave the boat in. Always remember, your boat can swing while on anchor and make sure it can do so safely before you leave it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have tried a few ways to keep the boat floating.

I use 2 anchor buddies tied together, (I found that 1 was not long enough most times).

I carry a small inflatable and anchor in deep water and use the raft. This has worked the best.

Extra anchors and rope and the pull it off the bow trick. Still hard to judge in new areas.

I always keep survival suits on board, when I go on shore I take at least one, in case we have to do rock, paper, scissors to see who has to put it on and swim to the boat if the anchor gets stuck.

And sometimes I still end up like this.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Smile Good Ideas

These all look like good ideas. I may have to try the anchor buddy. I have to make a run to Anchorage soon for home supplies so I might take a look at Sportsmen's. I don't mind if it grounds out during low tide (if it's gravel) because I don't think I'll be in a hurry to return. This plan is for a goat hunt and I wanted to camp close to the boat but not have to use it for a day or two. Across from Homer there are some pretty good tides so I didn't know what to use to keep the boat fairly stable. It's small enough to beach ok, but has a pretty good depth to the keel so it would tilt pretty good if it goes full aground like your photo. It would be nice to get there in the morning, get a goat, bring it to the boat, and leave all in one day, but things don't usually work out that way for me. Normally the HARD way. So I have to plan for a possible long stay.

Thanks again for all the input. I KNEW there were good ideas out there that I could use.

M

Default Neil Moomey

He has plans posted on his website for a remote mooring set-up. I put one together for not much money at all and have used it with success several times. It was kinda confusing the first time I tried to set it up...We didn't think about doing it while it was still light out, so we got to try it in the dark. Once I got it figured out, it's pretty easy to do.

www.neilmoomey.com/howtos/anchor_buoy/
    Last edited by Eggy; 02-15-2009 at 23:39. Reason: tried to post pic

I've been using the Anchor Buddy for a few years now. It's the simplest method, beyond anchoring out and using a tender to get to shore.

I do wish they'd make a 'magnum' version. They could call it the 'Kodiak' like every other outdoor product on the market.

Default Years ago

years ago 1975 an old salt showed me how to do without spending extra money and it has never failed me. I think the anchor off bow to tree would leave the possiblity of water coming in from over the stern if it got rough. Here is a system that I use all the time since the old salt showed me.
    Simlpe to use & install, addition is only rings.
    Last edited by alaskapiranha; 09-23-2009 at 17:09.

Default Piranha

What keeps the boat from blowing up on the beach if there is an onshore wind?

Question My thoughts exactly

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    What keeps the boat from blowing up on the beach if there is an onshore wind?
    I don't see how you keep the wind from beaching the boat or how to retreive it if its off shore?
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Default Wind oh Wind

Yes that does some times beach the boat but only if the tides going out and the winds blowing direct onto the beach.
    Getting the boat back is easy, pull the anchor rope. The boat stays just off shore, rides the tide so to speak. I some times use a 2nd line to pull it up close. Fear would be anchor hangs up and you couldn't drag it up.
    I used this on a 16' & 18' inflatable and a 18' fiberglass dory.
    Works for me and at No Cost!