Thread: Which do you think is better: A prop protected by a rubber hub, or a sheer pin?

Default Which do you think is better: A prop protected by a rubber hub, or a sheer pin?

I was interested to see who can name the virtues of a rubber hub protected prop. I used to run a 5 horse merc with a rubber hub and never had a problem. Some guys dont like them because you have to change the whole prop when the hub goes bad. Some claim a rubber hub protected prop will still spin when damaged and like them better than the shear pin. My 6 horse zuk has a very strong shear pin and holds up well. I've only snapped one shear pin on the little su. It's nice to be able to change them out. What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I was interested to see who can name the virtues of a rubber hub protected prop. I used to run a 5 horse merc with a rubber hub and never had a problem. Some guys dont like them because you have to change the whole prop when the hub goes bad. Some claim a rubber hub protected prop will still spin when damaged and like them better than the shear pin. My 6 horse zuk has a very strong shear pin and holds up well. I've only snapped one shear pin on the little su. It's nice to be able to change them out. What do you guys think?
    What are you going to do when you shear a pin in fast water? A rubber hub will still turn
    usually still turn & give you some control.

Default Shear pin

If you are only going in Ponds / Lakes it won't matter, but if you don't want a pin in the rivers as if it breaks when you hit a log or rock it means that you are ruff water near more rocks or logs an you need the motor to get out of there not looking for the paddles to help you miss the rock that is coming at you
    SID

Sid and KK, I agree with the both of you. Some people complain about the rubber hub prop not holding up in cold water, I ran one prop all season on my 5 horse merc. (made by tohatsu). The prop was chewed up quite a bit from hitting rocks/silt and never blew the rubber hub. The shear pin seems to be acceptable too though. Some outboards have a very thin shear pin and others have thicker sheer pins. Anyone else out there running rivers who prefer the rubber hub protected prop?

my 15HP evinrude has a rubber hub prop and it is slipping...if it was a sheer pin that would not happen...time for me to replace the whole prop

the slipping problem increasing with prop age is one more thing to consider in your decision.

Default Prop slipping

if the prop slips it could be a few to many rocks ,or the gear box leaks a lot of oil, the insert can be replaced [not easy] need a 50,000 LB press [what I used ] they did cost about $15.00 no place in Anchorage would do it, new prop for 10 / 15 HP OMC cost about $100.00 [get a new one] If you want to try to change a hub, drop me an PM I will give you one [rubber insert] Anchorage, the main differance between a pin in the rubber hub is if you hit a rock with a pin it is broken [no go ] with a rubber hub off you go, [ no stop] you got the power to get out of the problem you are in , I have had both, an no comparison if you run lakes no worry but if you are going to run some rivers use the rubber hub type it will save you a dunk in the river, never had the problem with age of prop just to many rocks, still have prop over 20 years old not much left but still use it at times when the water in river gets real thin,

Those are some good pointers Sid. I have run both and have had only one issue with the shear pin. I wasnt worried though because I have a relatively easy to manuever canoe. The paddle was right there and brought her back to shore for a shear pin change. It took alot of abuse before that pin ever went. It seems that tohatsu makes the lightest 9.9 in the industry @ 80 lbs. That outboard uses the rubber hub. So I will run both. I didnt know that they made replacement rubber hubs, that is good to know.

Default hub / pin

yes they make replacement hubs but it is not very easy to change it out special tools an a very heavy duty press I did one an stoped not worth it
    when you lost the one pin on your motor you was not in a real bad place so you had time to go to the side of the river / stream you can't always do that befor you are in deep dodo.