Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheep Hunting Gear Lists

Alright I updated my gearlist above with the new and improve list that is kind of a hybrid between mine and Snyd's. Allow to pick and choose different pieces of gear that I will be taking for different trips. Sure its not complete, but you'd guys be revamping it if you were to use it anyways. So same as Snyd's if that piece of gear is going to be taken on the trip put a "Y" in the included column and if its a shared item put a "Y" in the shared item column. This will half the weight of that item and subtract that from the total weight of your pack basically assuming that you will be distributing the weight with your partner evenly.

Thanks again Snyd!!

Alaska_Lanche:

I think we approach the idea of shared weight differently. In my mind (and on my list) I note everything that should not be redundant in a hunting party. When planning and packing with my partner we will decide who is carrying what (i.e., he may carry the stove, I the tent, he the spotting scope, etc.). Your list suggests that you are able to hack the items in half. I am not sure 1/2 of a Leupold range finder will do anyone much good; as a result, the end weight of your spreadsheet would never accurately represent your pack's actual weight. Seems like you may best add another column to represent shared items that you would not be carrying, but would have access to, thus you could 1) account the for item and 2) include the full weight of the items you will be carrying.

Such a multi-column approach is where I am actually going with my list in preparation for the forthcoming sheep season, as my partner and I don't live close to eachother anymore and will be packing separately.

On a side, how do you like that Promaster D2 digital tripod?

Bryan

Bryan,

You bring up a good point. I won't be hacking my spotting scope in half. I guess it wasn't inferred exactly what is going to be carried by whom. Granted one guy might be stuck with an extra couple of pounds, but I think its pretty safe to guess that you can get pretty close.

Ya know, one guy carries the spotting scope, tripod, and stove, the other guy carries the tent. One guy gets the first aid kit and the other the water filter, one guy carries the fuel (the guy with the stove hopefully) and the other carries the camera and range finder, and so on and so forth. Basically the same approach you have, I guess I just plan on sorting it out to as close to equal as we can get it. A separate column may help with that though or further add to the confusion as its already getting pretty busy. These lists are fun to play and tinker with and see how light or heavy you can make your pack, but in the end all that matters is you end up taking everything you need to complete the hunt and nothing extra.

As far as the tripod goes, I just ordered from doug at cameraland so we'll see how it goes. I'll keep ya posted on that for $35 bones I figure its probably too good to be true, but we can always hope right.

can yall email me these by any chance? i have a mac without all the windows programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Browningguy9 View Post
    can yall email me these by any chance? i have a mac without all the windows programs.
    I'm a mac user myself. The files are the same whether or not you get them by email or just download them from the thread here. Word, Excel, etc. are not just windows programs. Micro$oft makes them for mac also. If you have Appleworks or iWork they will open .doc and .xls files. You can also install OpenOffice on your mac.

thanks a lot snyd! i guess i shouldve put im a new mac user lol... i downloaded the before mentioned program. i have them all now. ill be submitting mine shortly, i gotta get all the weights tallied and whatnot. i wanna go sheep hunting now!!!!!!! haha.

sorry no weights or anything. Im stuck in Korea for a bit so all of this is off memory, oh i wish i could touch my toys.....
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Spotting Scope Tripod

Any recommendations for a good Swarovski ATS HD 80 tripod? One that is sturdy, yet somewhat light, without being carbon, unless the carbon is in the ball park. After spending two plus grand on the scope, I don't feel much like spending $300-700 on a tripod. Been looking at Monfrotto, yet the ones I've actually got to test have been quite heavy. Any suggestions?
    Marc Theiler

my Osprey Argon 110 has just been replaced with a Mystery Ranch NICE 6500...

Quote Originally Posted by Browningguy9 View Post
    my Osprey Argon 110 has just been replaced with a Mystery Ranch NICE 6500...
    that mystery ranch will hold the weight better.

on your list, noticed a few things:

1. Sitka 90% Jacket & Pants
    2. Polartec Fleece Jacket & Pants
    & insulating layter

what parts of AK and what time of year are you doing this hunt? that seems like a whole lot of layers to be packing. you have some baselayers in your list. so if you're hiking with your ascent pants and have the impertech for rain wear, you shouldn't two insulating leg layers, like the fleece and 90% pants. i would take the fleece, and leave the 90% pants at home. for one they are heavy and they take a lot longer to dry then fleece. Same with the 90% jacket. or keep the fleece at home if you really like the 90% stuff in the field, but both seem like too much weight.

like the prep. H wipes

you will also be wearing the sitka traverse shirt, but have this:

4. Polartec Power Dry Long Underwear
    5. Under Armour Cold Gear Top & Bottoms

I don't think both of those are needed as well.

taking one of each layer will free not only ounces in your pack but volume.

good luck

our previous journey was in the brooks range at the end of august. i shouldve only put what i took. i got carried away lol. i didnt take the power dry last time, but took the under armour. next time it will be vice versa. im not that big of a fan of under armour. i didnt take the fleece pants either. i kinda just added that as my list of options i suppose. basically for bottoms i had under armour cold gear, ascent pants, 90% pants and impertech. for tops i took traverse shirt, under armour, 90% jacket, fleece, and impertech. ive replaced that particular fleece with a light weight packable insulating jacket. i need to edit my list!!! dang. lol... sorry all.

Default edited

i think this is what i take with me, or will be taking. i had to do this off memory since im in korea. i think thats what got my last list garbled. sorry again! Hre814 is this more practicle? What do you think for shaving weight on my real list?
    Attached Files Attached Files

looks better.

the insulated jacket, what is that? something with synthetic insulation like primaloft, not down i hope?

on this First Aid Kit (comprehensive)/ Survival Kit/Sewing Kit
    there are always oz to shave, take a look at everything and make sure there is a good use for everything and no redundancy

the 550 cord in empty bottle with duct tape wrapped around it, just put the 550 cord in a ziploc bag to keep it dry, wrap some duct tape around your trekking pole just under the grip. a bottle to carry that, unless you are drinking from it, is a waste of oz, even if it is just a light gatorade bottle

(3) bic mini lighters, not sure you need that many. this is a 10 day hunt? 14 days?

water filter, i haven't used one in years. unless you are filtering from a silty river, i just scoop and treat with bleach. any water with decent floaties, i can filter with a bandana, etc.

you need to throw your cooking set in there to boil water, etc.

20 oz bottle filled with salt, once again, 20 oz of salt is not much, so maybe pour it into a gallon ziploc and double bag? shave oz off from the bottle.

do you have light gloves of some sort?

little things will add up to pounds worth. you can get too spartan, but you can still shave oz and retain comfort.

great list from being in Korea and throwing that together from memory.

have you gotten the 90% stuff really wet before and had to wear it till it dries? never been there, but i know the brooks range in late august can be punishing at sheep altitude. the 90% is softshell material, water resistant for a drizzle, etc, and will dry well from that if it gets wet, but for some reason if you get really wet, that stuff won't dry very well at 30-50 degree temps. that is why i am more a fan of fleece.

yeah, its a primaloft. light and packs down good. down scares me being away from a dryer or heat for that matter.

I have my titanium pot that i use with the pocket rocket. i am doing away with my 550 cord bottle with your lighter way. i dont really know why i had the 3 mini bics. i reckon i was scared of not having fire lol... ill prolly take 2 next time. one on me and one sealed up. i have strike anywhere matches tho.

im too scared of beaver feaver to not use a filter lol... its a long way from the truck to be all blown up on the side of a mtn.

i wear my under armour cold gear liner gloves ALL the time. that is one thing i LOVE from UA. i have a warmer pair on my dry bag (trash bag).

ive soaked the 90% once, but we werent out in the bush all night, so i didnt notice it taking forever to dry. def food for thought tho. thanks!

all of this is for a 14 day hunt. a guide buddy recommended the 20oz bottle for salt, just gotta settle it to pack more in. i might switch to a double bag. not sure tho. thanks for the input! anymore suggestions?

oh, i think i was right about 56 lbs last time with everything. that pack was lighter tho, but ive swapped some other things out as well. i also had my fair share of extra food. i think i forgot the most important thing. my roll of Copenhagen. prolly wouldve died without it haha...

concerning beaver feaver, aka giardia, you are on a 14 day hunt, so you may get symptoms if you get it, but it doesn't strike until 7-14 days after drinking infected water. it takes that much time for the cysts to wreak some damage on your intestines. i have used bleach for a bit, iodine before that. some folks don't believe in bleach, but iodine works. iodine is lighter then a filter. i carry bleach in a used infant's tylenol dropper bottle. i put 5-7 drops per litter and let it sit for 30 min.

i would suggest the two mini-bics and replace the matches with a firesteel firestarter instead. matches, regardless of the type, can only be used once, may not light, may break, etc. use the bics for your pocket rocket and the firesteel starter for emergency firestarting. a little heavier then matches. you also should practice with it prior to heading out if you have never used basic firestarting materials.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...restarter.html

is the fuel just for you or both of you? what size canisters? how many times a day are you heating up water? it is easy to take too much fuel, but at the same time you don't want to cut it real close.
    Last edited by hre814; 03-02-2009 at 09:24. Reason: more info

i do need to order one of those fire starters. ill tell ya, that pocket rocket is the best for an emergency fire. that beast will light anything.

i generally boil water twice a day. in the mornin for oatmeal and coffee, then at night for my mtn house dinner and tea. i do carry a light plastic/composite cup with a beer cozy around it to keep warm. its worth the 2 oz.

i took 2 canisters last time and i used about 1 and some change outta the other. they were 8 oz. actually, the one i finished off wasnt totally full either. so, i used maybe a lil over 1 for 14 days. is that average or high or low? i pack 2 and my buddy packs 2. he uses a jetboil. they sure are nice, but kinda heavy.

you pack two of the larger canisters (i don't mean the tall ones) or the little ones? i forget how many oz are in each. i imagine they are the larger ones. sounds about right if so. if the very small ones, you are doing great!

Smile suggestion?

Well, just a suggestion but I havent figured out how to do without a tarp yet. I have never lost any meat on any hunt before and one reason is to use the tarp to create your own meat freezer with good air flow. Sure sometimes you have a cave or overhang, but not often in sheep country so I am curious how you manage your meat without a tarp?
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Default Gunslinger Rifle Holster "Front carry"

Wow, Sorry I didn't get here sooner.
    Research Gunslinger Corral front carry with a backpack.
    You guys have been roughing it way too long.

Good Hunting!

theilercabin - I don't know if you got another tripod yet but I bought a new one last year as I finally broke my old one. I will have to look when I get back home but I really like it. Simple, light, and easy to use. I was also wondering what you guys with the mystery ranch think of their packs? They are obviously well made and I like everything - except the weight. **** the are heavy compared to my old wore out osprey. The $550 tag is heavy also. But, if they are worth it they are worth it.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast