Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Sheep Hunting Gear Lists

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Well said, Yk. I'll probably drop the hard case, at least. It's a jointly owned phone between my brother, father, and I, so I tend to be a bit more careful with it since it's not mine alone. Still, your point is a solid one - there's other ways to ensure its protection. I've already dropped all kinds of other redundant items, and feel like I'm actually fairly well honed in on what I need. I could drop my heavier knife and rely on the havelon alone, but I've never actually quartered an animal with such a blade, and would certainly have to use a bit more finesse so as to not break every blade I have. I'll have to think on that one. I'm also carrying a paratarp for the first time this go-round, but that's another non-negotiable, as I want to be able to sleep with the sheep if need be.
    For what it's worth, I carried almost 5 days (8 lbs) worth of food up the mountain last weekend for a little solo ramble. With food, rifle, ammo, 2L water, and all in gear, I think I was around 47 lbs. Almost no flyweight stuff either. Synthetic bag, synthetic jacket, four season tent, 7.5 lbs rifle, full size GPS, sat phone... All heavish but durable.

No camp shoes, no booze, no extra game bags, no tarp, no bivy, no pack cover, no reading material, no changes of clothes (other than socks). Eat, sleep, shoot, cut... that's about all when I'm solo, particularly if I have an ATV a day or so away where I can stash those comfort items. Two man and fly out hunts are a bit different, and extras and redundant items are more critical.

For "sleeping with the sheep" I just carried the tent. I see the point of a tarp for sure, but I'd rather carry the 3.5 lbs the last mile up the mountain, than carry the extra item for many miles going in and out when it's just me doing the packing.

I do carry an extra 2oz pocket knife though. Haven't broken a blade on a Havalon on a dozen animals... but I did loose one once!

Obviously opinions differ, and plenty more successful people that me pack plenty heavier, but I can't do it. Suspect you will still get up the mountain faster than I would though. You guys that live at the base of the Chugach have a built in advantage over us Fairbanks people. Real mountains!

Yk

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknife View Post
    ... I've packed a sat phone for hundreds of days in the field and burned thousands of minutes working and hunting from SE to the Arctic Ocean. Never once carried a hard case. Don't even know where it is anymore. Drop it in a sock and put it in your clothing or sleeping dry bag. Wouldn't carry the SPOT either, but that's your choice.​Yk
    We pretty much do the same thing with our sat phone, except the phone itself goes into a quart sized ziplock, and then goes into two spare socks, and then into another dry bag of puffy stuff. Have spent more than one night bivied out in the emergency shelter, and been quite happy to have the extra "sat phone socks" to sleep in.

Good luck on your hunt Brian, can't wait for the story and photos!

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknife View Post
    For what it's worth, I carried almost 5 days (8 lbs) worth of food up the mountain last weekend for a little solo ramble. With food, rifle, ammo, 2L water, and all in gear, I think I was around 47 lbs. Almost no flyweight stuff either. Synthetic bag, synthetic jacket, four season tent, 7.5 lbs rifle, full size GPS, sat phone... All heavish but durable.

No camp shoes, no booze, no extra game bags, no tarp, no bivy, no pack cover, no reading material, no changes of clothes (other than socks). Eat, sleep, shoot, cut... that's about all when I'm solo, particularly if I have an ATV a day or so away where I can stash those comfort items. Two man and fly out hunts are a bit different, and extras and redundant items are more critical.

For "sleeping with the sheep" I just carried the tent. I see the point of a tarp for sure, but I'd rather carry the 3.5 lbs the last mile up the mountain, than carry the extra item for many miles going in and out when it's just me doing the packing.
    Yk
    I don't have camp shoes, booze, reading material, or a change of clothes other than one pair of socks and one lightweight merino short sleeve shirt to change into when I'm glassing for hours and soaked with sweat. The paratarp is less than a pound with stakes - it comes. I do have a pack cover in there, but am probably going to drop it. It's rare that I use it, and if it means that I gain a little water weight due to rainfall, that's OK. I'll probably drop the heavier knife (cutco hunter knife - love it, but not lightweight) and just work carefully with the havalon. No time like the present to refine my butchering technique, eh? I may lose one liter of water (nalgene bottle) and just go with the 3L bladder. I could probably drop a few rounds of ammo as well (carrying 13), but...well, I sure would hate to miss on the chance at a wolf on the way down. I've never carried a trekking pole before, but being alone and another year older, I have decided to listen to the advice of all the sage mountain hunters who carry one. It doubles as a pole for my tarp, so it's coming.

The good news is that I'm at my lightest weight since high school, so I have less of me to carry up the hill. Will certainly report back when I'm out of the mountains.

This thread has been pretty stagnant for a while now, but I pulled a lot of good tips and tricks off of it when putting my packing lists together in the past.

I'm headed out on my sheep hunt in about ten days and thought I would post my list and see if anyone had any last minute suggestions or recommendations for me. I thought this might be a good time to ask as many of you are just getting back from your own hunts and gear selection is fresh in your minds.

Hunt Details:
    Solo, walk-in hunt in the Chugach Mountains (DS138)
    Dates Sept 3rd-10th, give or take

Any and all feedback is appreciated!
    -Steven
    Attached Files Attached Files

Steven, how'd your hunt turn out?

The hunt went well, or at least I should say my gear performed great. Unfortunately the weather was quite rainy/foggy and I spent more of the hunt holed up in my tent than I wanted to. My tag went unfilled, but overall I'd still consider the hunt a success!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_JR View Post
    The hunt went well, or at least I should say my gear performed great. Unfortunately the weather was quite rainy/foggy and I spent more of the hunt holed up in my tent than I wanted to. My tag went unfilled, but overall I'd still consider the hunt a success!
    A little tag soup if you will, been there dozens of times but 2017 I'm looking to be one for the books! I've got so much Intel right now it ain't even funny, it's freaking insane. Wolves, sheep, moose, goats! I've got them pegged and nothing but unlimited time on my hands it's gonna be off the charts! Working on getting a camera crew put together right now.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112