Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can somone elaborate on baloon/soda bottle shore fishin?

Default Can somone elaborate on baloon/soda bottle shore fishin?

-Been reading alot about people using baloons or pop bottles to get their bait out a good distance offshore. The tactic seems like it would work very well, but I can't imagine how exactly it works. I mean once its out there how do you get the bait to drop? Wont it just hold the bait a few feet under the sea rather than letting it sink to the bottom?

Thanks-
    Nick

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

shoot the balloon with a 22 when you get it where you want.

Could you imagine all of the people at the mouth of Montana Creek along the bank of the Su doing that? LMAO, it would be worse there then over here in Iraq.

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

Default Try a kite

Get the biggest kid's kite you can find. Attatch a downrigger release a few feet below the kite on the string and clip your rig to the release. Fly the whole works over the desired drop zone with the bail on your reel open until you get it where you want. Then reel in the slack and yank it off the release and reel in the slack. I tried it in Kodiak for Halibut, and it works if the wind is blowing the right direction. Anyone have an easier method?

Default Yep...

Model rockets & sling shots!
    Just be sure to have LOTS of line off the reel and layed on the smooth ground nicely. I think a serious sling shot would do the trick.
    Jim

Having done a bunch of kite fishing off of San Diego's long range fleet for big yellowfin tuna as a passenger and licensed crewmember, a kite outfit would be the best bet if you're serious. However the tools and know how will come with time. It will be a learning curve. There are companies out there that sell kites for fishing and they come in a couple of sizes that depends on how hard the wind is blowing and how big a bait you are using. Typically, down south, we used 3 different baits, all without a sinker and is intended to fish the surface of the water. The heaviest bait we would use is about a 3-4 pound squid and could probably get a bigger one out if the conditions and fish allowed it.
    Two rods are needed, one with dacron on a decent sized reel attached to a rod that resembled a broom stick, the other is the fishing rod with spectra and the short mono leader. The problem I see with how you want to get some distance is the release in the determined area. The sinker will have to be close to the release and a sharp swing on the fishing rod will release it if the line is tight (which will be hard to do at say 200 yards) then chances are is that the bait and sinker will swing towards you and land somewhere you could have easily casted to. Another dilemma is that the sinker or the bait will swing over the kite line causing a mid air tangle. You then have to reel the kite in by hand (which could be a real chore in high winds) or weld on a special hex bolt and have a powered socket wrench bring it in for you.
    Practice flying a kite because if you wind and it is going down, stop winding, keep that kite in the air and out of the water! If you think winding against the wind is hard, try it against water and a tide...trust me...been there. A wet kite ends that kite until it is dry. If there is little wind, a bigger kite with an oversized balloon tied to the back can work too.
    Anyway, it can be expensive, but if money is no object and you think you can get your money's worth, there are a bunch of stores in Southern California you can find kite supplies with on the internet. Maybe you can be creative with a release system.
    As for using just a balloon on fishing line, that can work too to keep your bait suspended in the water column for a salmon. I don't see why that wouldn't work. All it would be is a giant bobber, but then you also have to deal with the currents with dragging your balloon under.
    I've done a bunch of things to get baits away from a boat, but fishing pelagics in tropical locals is much different than fishing the bottom fish or even salmon in these Alaskan conditions. My best advise to offer is to be where the fish are (further isn't necessarily better, just ask any regularly successful river salmon fisherman) and presentation is key and I'm sure you can catch plenty of fish off the beach.

Thumbs up here's my method

In Hawaii, this is how we'd do it when fishing for sharks near paerl harbor. Large circle hook on wire leader with fish head for bait. Tie ballon or small trash bag (blown up) to leader with a "few" wraps of ordinary thread. Gently place rig in water and let current carry the package out, releasing line as needed. When rig is where you want it, reel in slack line, give it a good jerk to break the thread, and viola, the bait drifts out/down to da fishies. Worked like a charm. Might be careful to not get cited for littering though..:-)

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default air cannon

you could wrap your bait in a nylon sack, stuff it all in a air cannon and pull the trigger . the giant sling shot idea is a good one too. could probably get into some decent halibut off deepcreek with a setup like these.

Just go buy a good (for distance) remote control boat. Put a clip on the rear deck and clip your line into it. You can run the boat out exactly where you want it and give the line a tug to pull it from the clip then run the boat back to shore.

This method was so effective fishing for large breeding stock catfish near dams in Arkansas that they actually had to ban it! I think if the water was fairly calm and you had a good boat, you could really get it out there on the ocean.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default SurfRocket.com

It would probably be cheaper to make your own but they do work well.

Quote Originally Posted by akriverrat View Post
    you could wrap your bait in a nylon sack, stuff it all in a air cannon and pull the trigger . the giant sling shot idea is a good one too. could probably get into some decent halibut off deepcreek with a setup like these.
    With a couple of buddies you can get good distance with one of these.

http://www.frattoys.com/index.php?cPath=62_34&gclid=CNak8_Sg3ZgCFShRagodeC hOdA

We use to use them to fire water balloons back and forth between charter boats on lake Ontario during the slow times. It keeps the clients busy and they have a memorable trip even if the fishing was a little slow.
    I think it would work well to launch sinker and bait.

Tie a lifesaver to the balloon, bottle, bag, whatever you're using to float your bait out. Grab a loop in your fishing line just above your bait and put it throught the hole in the lifesaver and double it back over the lifesaver so it will hold (but not end up in a knot). Let the whole mess float out to sea (don't get cited for littering). Eventually the lifesaver will dissolve and you are fishing.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    Tie a lifesaver to the balloon, bottle, bag, whatever you're using to float your bait out. Grab a loop in your fishing line just above your bait and put it throught the hole in the lifesaver and double it back over the lifesaver so it will hold (but not end up in a knot). Let the whole mess float out to sea (don't get cited for littering). Eventually the lifesaver will dissolve and you are fishing.

Very cool idea, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    With a couple of buddies you can get good distance with one of these.

http://www.frattoys.com/index.php?cPath=62_34&gclid=CNak8_Sg3ZgCFShRagodeC hOdA

We use to use them to fire water balloons back and forth between charter boats on lake Ontario during the slow times. It keeps the clients busy and they have a memorable trip even if the fishing was a little slow.
    I think it would work well to launch sinker and bait.

Seems like it would work, only problem I see here is how do you get your hook/weight in the thing to release properly without hitting yourself or anyone? I'm imagining me sitting there with a hook in one side of my hand and out the other ....

What about a potato gun? You can make those cheap and in varied sizes. My brother made one that stands 6 feet tall. He uses acetylene and oxygen and lights it off remote using a spark plug hooked to a electric fence box. We have launched potatoes 200-300 yards. I can't imagine what a 3# lead weight would do. Make sure there are no boats close, you don't want to shoot one over the bow, or into the cabin for that matter. Just the red neck in me, but that sounds slick as snot. Way more exciting than the sling shot or balloon. Big fun on Montana Creek too.

This has been a rather amusing thread. Amusing in how many complicated ways folks can come up with to fish in deeper water, when all you really needed was a BOAT.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    Lifesavers definitely work better than thread. You'll be amazed how much yanking and pulling it takes to break thread.

Back in the 60's when we used to fish big sharks of west coast piers, we cut waxed paper into 1-1 1/2" strips and rolled that into "thread" we used to tie the top swivel to a baloon. Worked okay, because it eventually soaked through and you could break it if the rig didn't drop off. Kinda iffy, though. Lifesavers solved it. When I've done it up here I shoot the baloon if there aren't too many folks around.

Best of all is to use a pontoon boat to row your rig offshore as far as you want, drop it, and freespool as you row back. Drag the pontoon boat up onto shore and use the seat for a nice comfortable wait. That's living!

Wink wow

Breaking a couple of wraps of normal sewing thread with a big saltwater rod isn't that hard. I think you might just need some wheaties or something! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Lifesavers definitely work better than thread. You'll be amazed how much yanking and pulling it takes to break thread.

Back in the 60's when we used to fish big sharks of west coast piers, we cut waxed paper into 1-1 1/2" strips and rolled that into "thread" we used to tie the top swivel to a baloon. Worked okay, because it eventually soaked through and you could break it if the rig didn't drop off. Kinda iffy, though. Lifesavers solved it. When I've done it up here I shoot the baloon if there aren't too many folks around.

Best of all is to use a pontoon boat to row your rig offshore as far as you want, drop it, and freespool as you row back. Drag the pontoon boat up onto shore and use the seat for a nice comfortable wait. That's living!

Quote Originally Posted by FishnMan View Post
    Breaking a couple of wraps of normal sewing thread with a big saltwater rod isn't that hard. I think you might just need some wheaties or something! ;-)
    Nah, it hinges on how much weight you have under the baloon. We use very little so the baloon drifts further and faster, and the bait and leader with no weight is just too "slick" to help the baloon break free. The whole works just skids across the surface when you yank, rather than popping the baloon free. We'd be using weight if there was much current where we were fishing, but with virtually none it's not needed, and it sure slows down the baloon drift.

Best of all, bar none, and fun too, is a good scoped air rifle. You can have a ball "mortaring in" your shots at 100, 150, even 200 yards when you can see where the pellets are landing. Pretty quick you'll be floating out bare baloons just to have something to shoot at while you're waiting for a hit. And that's fun too!

Default Kiwi Torpedo

Gents,

I've been to the North Island of New Zealand. I have never done this but I talked at length with a restaurant owner about "torpedo fishing."

As I recall they send the torpedo out 300 meters or so and then use a radio control to "drop the line" and then bring it back.

He said it's a great way to spend a day... beer... something mechanical to mess with .......and they caught a lot of fish. The link shows one kinda like they described.....does not seem to be radio controlled though.

The ones he talked about were locally made.

FWIW....

Slim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&h...&v=hoNwEbQ-2og
    Last edited by Slim Wallet; 02-19-2009 at 16:35. Reason: mispelt word

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast