Thread: Another boat

Default Another boat

Here is another boat I came across. http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/1033984831.html
    I am having trouble convincing the wife to spend 30k-40k on a boat right now. This is in a much more convincing price range but I don't want to end up with something that is nothing but trouble. I have heard mixed reviews on bayliners and wanted to see what everyone thought. Any opinions or people who have owned similar boats?

I've seen this one on craigslist for the past few months on and off. There may be a reason it isn't selling, so be sure to have her checked out really well.

Default Beware of outdrives...

They can be okay if you know the history/maintenance but if you're serious about it, really have it checked out by a mechanic FAMILIAR with these drives; don't know much about the Alpha drives; thought the only halfway decent mercruiser outdrive is a Bravo III, but Kodiakcombo went thru 5 of those drives. How about snagging one of the Olympics on craigslist that have outboards? I think there was one with a newer Mercury OB & kicker.
    Jim
    Ask why it has so little hours; newer motor? If so, was the outdrive replaced too?
    Last edited by Big Jim; 02-13-2009 at 22:13. Reason: more info

Anyone know about the older Crestliners? There's a 24ft with cabin and a newer 200hp Honda 4-stroke on it. They're asking just under 20K for it. Here's the link.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/1044705052.html

Default I had a 1978 Crestliner....

it was in good shape when I got it, a 22' cuddy Aluminum. Very well made boat in my opinion, and handled PWS water well. We used it for 6 years, then sold it because we needed a bigger boat. It had a 185 horse Mercruiser with older Alpha outdrive. We hit some rocks and had to get a new oudrive, and the motor had been replaced but the outdrive hadn't, so it was time anyway. A new Mercruiser OE Alpha 1 was about $3500, and rebuild were only a little less. For $1250 we bought an aftermarket outdrive made in Florida, with an unconditional 3 year guarantee. All the parts interchange with OE Mercure parts, and it bolts right on. We got ours out of Michagan, it cost about $200 to ship it to Valdez. We used it for a year and it ran great. You can PM me if you want the contact for that new outdrive. When you replace that you need to usually replace the bellows, shift cable and U-joint. The same place sells all that OE in a package plus the gaskets you need. Couple hundred bucks or less, don't re the exact price.

My 185 horse Mercruiser stern drive moved that boat really well, I haven't looked at the Bayliner with one yet. But for the Crestliner with a Honda outboard, that looks like a good boat and motor combo, pics show a well-cared for boat, you might want to check it out. Crestliner cuddys are built like a cadillac, but after 20 years you want to look it over good.

Ron

Default My .02

I`ve also seen that Bayliner ad a few times. It is the platform I`m looking for but I can help but question the integrity of anything that was used in a commercial capacity. The outdrive questions others have stated are spot-on. An outdrive can be the second most costly venture on the boat.

The Crestliner seems to have sound power but I would bet that that hull would pound in 3' or larger seas, that`s one thing with a glass boat with that hull design but it`s another on a less than sturdy aluminum like that one. I guess what I`m trying to say is that it would have alot of load bangs and vibration. Keep in mind though that I`ve never been in one.

I`ve looked at alot of boats in the price range that you`re working with and I lean towards a Trophy for what I like to do but a small Ospry or the like would be nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    Here is another boat I came across. http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/1033984831.html
    I am having trouble convincing the wife to spend 30k-40k on a boat right now. This is in a much more convincing price range but I don't want to end up with something that is nothing but trouble. I have heard mixed reviews on bayliners and wanted to see what everyone thought. Any opinions or people who have owned similar boats?
    That's a nice looking Bayliner, I have several friends with Trophy's and they ride very well. I am surprised he only gets 24 knots out of that motor, makes me wonder if he has a low pitch 4 blade prop on it, should easily do 30 knots...but a 24 knot cruise is fine, and maybe that's what he means.

That motor is the same as a 350 Chevy, one of the reasons people like I/O motors is they are basically a car motor and easy to maintain if you know car motors. Bad thing is they take up a lot of rear deck fishing space and are noisier than outboards, also you have a gas engine aboard, so less safe, I think. I already made comments about the Alpha drive. Lots of them around, and lots of replacements available, not too hard to maintain or replace. Better check that one out and make sure it was replaced 200 hours ago when the motor was. Check the lower unit lube and make sure it is not milky, a sure sign of leakage and coming mechanical problems. Check the anodes and if you put "ears" and a hose on the motor, you can run it while checking the shift. Better yet, take a test drive if you can!

Ron

Default If that Crestliner is like my '78....

Then the hull is well-supported and welded. Not as sturdy as my totally welded Hewescraft AK 260, but I had mine in plenty of 3 ' seas; if they were coming straight in, I had to slow down, but at an angle, took them well at cruise with NO vibration, as I said it was a very solid boat. Mine looked like the same hull design, I'll see if I can find a picture of it and attach it here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

CapnRon,

Thanks for all the info. This is just what I was looking for. I wanted someone with first hand experience. There's another bayliner up as well but it is a bit more. Anyway, I'll probably bug you again about info on the boat if we really get serious. Hopefully I'll know in a day or two whether the wife is ready to get serious.

Thanks again,

Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    Then the hull is well-supported and welded. Not as sturdy as my totally welded Hewescraft AK 260, but I had mine in plenty of 3 ' seas; if they were coming straight in, I had to slow down, but at an angle, took them well at cruise with NO vibration, as I said it was a very solid boat. Mine looked like the same hull design, I'll see if I can find a picture of it and attach it here.

It`s good to hear they ride nice and are solid...My first impression wasn`t good but do appreciate the info as well.

Default Just on more thing on the Alum boat...

We beach our boat on a gravel/cobble beach to unload at our cabin. I think some people might do that with a fiberglass boat, but I wouldn't. A couple of times it was rough and we had to get people and gear off the beach. No way would a fiberglass boat take that pounding. The Crestliner did this for 6 years, lost a little bottom paint but it was tough!

If you never plan to beach the boat, I think fiberglass is maybe quieter, softer and warmer. But not sure, I never had a fiberglass boat except for a 14 foot Livingston skiff!

Ron

That's more good info. My wife and I are leaning towards using the boat to explore the coast up here instead of buying some property. We would most likely beach the boat a fair bit to go for a hike or have a camp fire, etc. I agree that fiberglass takes a beating when beaching, especially in the surf. Aluminum definitley holds up better to that type of abuse. Sounds like you were pretty happy with the boat. Maybe I could bribe you with dinner and beer to take a ride with me to check it out....

Default I'll buy dinner and a beer for all if......

you fly me there to take that boat ride! hee hee, I'm in Idaho right now, about 2500 miles, driving distance anyway!

We beached our 22' Crestliner cuddy aluminum to take a look at some property we eventually bought. I'll post a pic below to show you what might happen if you forget about the tide.....but the boat was fine when it floated away nearly 12 hours later! (with us in it). Well, I couldn't find an electronic copy of that picture. So look at the one below, here's the Crestliner on the beach. Imagine high tide, we go looking around and stay too long...so we stay 12 hours! My Crestliner was made by AMF corp, I think they also made bowling balls and a bunch of stuff! It had one line of rivets but was welded internally. Really solid. The hull on the one you are looking at seems the same to me. It is great to have a Honda outboard, wish we had, ours had a mercruiser I/O and it took up much of the rear deck.

Get someone that knows boats to take a ride with you, if you can, or at least look it over. And, we'll have that dinner and beer sometime anyway!

Ron
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like you guys are having a little too much fun. I'm guessing that's you son. I have many great memories of hunting trips with my dad and am hoping to pay him back for a few once I get a boat up here.

I guess you being in ID makes it hard for me to pick you up on the way down to Soldotna. Ahh well, I guess we'll just have to wait until you make it up to AK. Thanks again for all the help. Sounds like the boat I am looking at is in good shape. I supposed to get more details from him today and maybe go down for a look here in the next week or so.