Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dolly Llamas

Default Dolly Llamas

So I'm going to start tying me several for my Alaska trip, but I want to be sure about how they're tied. This is what I see, if I'm wring, please let me know. Start with conehead and tie in a piece of trailer material for the stinger, then tie on white rabbit strip zonker style on top. Clip the front hook off. then tie a longer piece of black rabbit fur on the bottom upside down, attaching it only at the head (this is the part I'm not 100% on.) Then tie on your stinger and run it through the black rabbit strip. How did I do? Thanks for your help in advance. By the way, what other color combos have done well for you guys?

Upon closer inspection, maybe I should do the bottom black first, and wrap it a few times to build up nice head, then do the white top last?

your not wring your wrong LOL. Tie up lots of combos. were not sharing all our secrets. LMAO Olive green and white hint hint
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

There was a good thread recently that contained a lot of discussion and instructions on Llamas. You can check it out here http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=46321

I'll add that most flies (and especially flies like the Dolly Llama) can be tied different ways with lots of variations. That's the freedom of tying your own - you can customize, take short-cuts, add more flash, whatever. So find a technique that works for you and go with it.

Anyway, that said, this is how I usually tie Llamas. There's been a bit of interest lately and I've been spending plenty of time at the vise, so I grabbed a few pictures.

I loop my stringer thread through the cone, through the eye, back through the cone, tie with a uni-knot, super glue and tie down with thread. I use a loop out the back so I can add/change hooks later.

Tie in the main/dark color and palmer forward bunny-leech style. I like a longer tail to get more swimming action.

Tie in a piece of saltwater flashabou (or whatever is handy) on each side - I fold it over my thread and then tie in to keep it from slipping loose.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Default (part 2)

Continuing on - tie in your second/lighter color.

After that - tie it off. Give it an ample amount of glue/cement and let dry. Cut off the hook and file it down a bit to smooth out any sharp edges. When you hit the river, slip on an appropriate sized hook (you can put a bead above it if you want) and catch a fish.

Get creative and prepare a variety of colors (although a staple has already been mentioned ) and sizes (some bigger, some smaller).

Default A thousand words...

Very nice, Wyo2AK!
    Nice ties. Nice post.

word to the cross eyed cones...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thumbs up Outstanding

GREAT Looking flies Wyo2Ak. Those will be hooking some pigs for sure. Very Nice work

What's the best way to fish the Dalli Lama? Do you use a slow retrieve, allowing for an up and down motion of the fly, or do you use a fast retrieve?

Sweet...I will send you my addy just in case you lost it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger01 View Post
    What's the best way to fish the Dalli Lama? Do you use a slow retrieve, allowing for an up and down motion of the fly, or do you use a fast retrieve?

It depends. I use them on the upper kenai. I like to find the cut line where the fast water is meeting the slower water off a back channel or a cut bank. I cast into the fast water and let the lama drift down the cut line. Working the tip left and right slowly letting the fly hit the deep hole that is usually at the end of the channel or cut. I work the fly in the hole. Work it for a minute or 2 if nothing happens back to square one. if there is a pig in there he wil be caught. Takes more patience but keeps the nemos off your hook for sure. It is defintly a fly for quality not quanity for sure. The are the one must have spring summer and fall

So, I have to ask, is it Dalli Lama or Dolly Lama?

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy912 View Post
    So, I have to ask, is it Dalli Lama or Dolly Lama?
    It is how ever you can spell it and understand it. The fish dont know the difference LOL

I vote for "Dolly".

Chuck's post says a lot. It depends on the conditions for sure. Think like a fat little sculpin moving from hiding place to hiding place along the bottom - or washed downstream for one reason or another.

General rule to start with - Fish 'em low and fish 'em slow. But even a sculpin can move pretty quick when there's a big bad bow behind him.

PS - thanks for the compliments on the tie. Hope the pictures help others dreaming of hogzilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    I vote for "Dolly".

Chuck's post says a lot. It depends on the conditions for sure. Think like a fat little sculpin moving from hiding place to hiding place along the bottom - or washed downstream for one reason or another.

General rule to start with - Fish 'em low and fish 'em slow. But even a sculpin can move pretty quick when there's a big bad bow behind him.

PS - thanks for the compliments on the tie. Hope the pictures help others dreaming of hogzilla.

Its not helping the dream it is hurting right now. Low and slow has always worked. I can move quick with something behind me that wants me for a snack too. Just work em. As my wife says. Fish it like you are it. It works for her

Thanks for the tying steps, but I have one question.... Where is the white bunny attached? only at the head? How exactly do you tie it in?
    And where can I find some of those cross eyed cone heads? I love them.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Default Where's the bunny?

I just tie the white zonker in on the bottom just behind the cone. That's one of the tricky parts when tying this fly; just getting the zonkers tied-in without leaving a huge ball of thread. I like to leave the zonker a bit long at the front and tuck it in with a bodkin. It took me a few flies before I figured-out how to make it work. I still may not be doing it "the right way" (if there is such a thing) but it seems to work.

Worldwide anglers carries the crosseyed cones. I looked at sportsman's the other day and couldn't find any.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottsum View Post
    I just tie the white zonker in on the bottom just behind the cone. That's one of the tricky parts when tying this fly; just getting the zonkers tied-in without leaving a huge ball of thread. I like to leave the zonker a bit long at the front and tuck it in with a bodkin. It took me a few flies before I figured-out how to make it work. I still may not be doing it "the right way" (if there is such a thing) but it seems to work.

Worldwide anglers carries the crosseyed cones. I looked at sportsman's the other day and couldn't find any.
    That's how I do it - and a reason to use a considerate amount of glue/cement under the cone.

I get the cones at WWA. I've yet to see them at Sportsman's. If you're out of town and can't get them locally you can get them online from Wilderness Angler (and I'm sure other stores).
    http://www.wildernessangler.com/servlet/Detail?no=258

I was just attaching the belly up at the head as well, but it just seemed a little weird. I feel more comfortable knowing that's the way it's actually suppose to be done. oh, one more question - do you guys put the stinger hook through the tail, or just let it dangle freely?
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

I'll save myself a few words and give you a link to my post on this topic a couple of weeks ago: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...3&postcount=20

Also, I have tied the zonker strips in one other way I forgot to mention that seemed to work well. I tied them in upside down and backward (leather out, grain toward the eye) then cinched the tying thread into the cone. The strips then lay back pretty naturally with less trouble with excessive thread wraps. If I remember right, I finished with a few more wraps on top, 5 or 6 whip finish wraps and some head cement. This way the strips shouldn't pull-out.

Scott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast