Thread: Another Fly gear question

Default Another Fly gear question

Ok, you guys are problely tired of my questions by now....But I figure you guys fish the Penn all the time and what better place to ask the questions. Let me surfice to say, this is my first major fly fishing trip, other then the 2 day getaway here at home. As a result, I would like to come fully prepared, hence all the questions.

I have covered all the basics I believe. I do have a few more though. Keep in mind we will be fishing a varity of rivers, and a wide range of fish. The Kings really are not our focus.

1. We plan to be in AK for 14 days, fly fishing each day. I have vetted out the rods, reels and line. How many lines should I bring for the 2 weeks? I understand needing a back up, but, many of the places that we will be, a gear shed most likely is not "just around the corner". I plan to bring 2 rods and 2 reels with one extra spool. Should I have a couple of extra flylines with me?

2. The next question is how many leaders should I have at hand? I really don't care to tie my own, I would just rather have pre-packaged tapored leaders with me. Again, how many and at what sizes should I have? I have plenty of tippit material from 4-15 lb test.

3. Last, my wading boots have a felt sole on them. Will I need a pair of Korkers as a safety issue? I also carry a wading staff. I understand that felt soles are going by the wayside due to enviormental issues. Should I replace the soles with something else? Is there restrictions in place regarding felt soles?

Thanks for everyone's assistance.

Mark

1) Bring a line for each rod maybe a sink tip for your heavier rig.
    2) Bring little spools of Maxima Ultra green 40# 30# 25# and whatever tippet you like, tie your own leaders. If you really want to use knotless for some reason I use about 3 a year but I keep adding more leader and tippet too it, the clients I had this august used one a day for some reason. I like tippets down to 3x for trout and down to 0x for salmon but I just tie my own as needed while fishing, I've gotten to the point where I can tie leaders while walking to the fishing hole so I can save fishing time.
    3)Wash the soles with hot soapy water like you should do for everywhere down there, the wading here is pretty easy for the most part. No restrictions on felt or anything
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

You might want backup line but it probably won't be nessecery. It might be a good idea to have some sinking line.
    Leaders will be tough to estimate. I have gone out and lost several in a days fishing. If you are going for fish that will chaleng your ability then bring enough to count on loosing 2 or 3 a day. I usually carry a spool with me and tie additional ones as needed.

1. How many lines should I bring for the 2 weeks? Should I have a couple of extra flylines with me?
    I would only bring 1 fly line per spool that you plan to bring. a floating and a sink tip will take care of what you need.

2. The next question is how many leaders should I have at hand? Again, how many and at what sizes should I have? I have plenty of tippit material from 4-15 lb test.
    Unless you are a purist bring a spool of mono that is sized for the rod/reel combo and your tippet. Our fish are not picky. When you notice the leader/mono getting frayed or if it breaks then replace it.

3. Will I need a pair of Korkers as a safety issue?Is there restrictions in place regarding felt soles?
    There are no restrictions, but it is a good idea to replace your felt soles for the trip and discard them at the end of the trip. Or be fastidious about cleaning them. If you feel the need to support the economy then buy what you "need".
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default Good questions, and good answers...

Agree with the good advice above.
    This is a big trip for you. With that much fly fishing planned, I'd bring extra rods and reels - for me that would mean 2 five wts and 2 x 8 wts.

I particularly appreciate your question about your felt-soled waders - a concern discussed in detail in another thread:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=47139

shearej shared a link which includes specifics for cleaning boots & waders against didymo (rock snot). This is good advice for anyone fishing different waterways, http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/pests/didymo/cleaning.

Best wishes for a great trip here.

if you aren't on a 14 day float trip you can purchase a fly line all over the place if you somehow manage to break or lose one, its not like we are immune from flyshops up here, heck there is even one in yakutat

Quote Originally Posted by Adjusted3 View Post
    ...Keep in mind we will be fishing a varity of rivers, and a wide range of fish. The Kings really are not our focus.

1. We plan to be in AK for 14 days, fly fishing each day. I have vetted out the rods, reels and line. How many lines should I bring for the 2 weeks? I understand needing a back up, but, many of the places that we will be, a gear shed most likely is not "just around the corner". I plan to bring 2 rods and 2 reels with one extra spool. Should I have a couple of extra flylines with me?

2. The next question is how many leaders should I have at hand? I really don't care to tie my own, I would just rather have pre-packaged tapored leaders with me. Again, how many and at what sizes should I have? I have plenty of tippit material from 4-15 lb test.

3. Last, my wading boots have a felt sole on them. Will I need a pair of Korkers as a safety issue? I also carry a wading staff. I understand that felt soles are going by the wayside due to enviormental issues. Should I replace the soles with something else? Is there restrictions in place regarding felt soles?

Thanks for everyone's assistance.

Mark
    1. Don't really need extra lines for the purpose of "backup" - but you might want to think about different sinktips for different situations. I have lost one line on a snag up there but had others (I bring ~5 reels or spools). I ruined one other line with DEET (it will corrode fly lines).

2. Use tapered leaders only for whatever dry-fly fishing you plan to do. Otherwise make short, simple leaders from tippet material. You do not want to be using pre-packaged leaders for traditional nymphing or swinging alaska flies. All of the manufactured stuff is too long and/or insufficiently abrasion resistent to use up there. Learn to tie knots and make leaders, or just use a short (4-6 ft) piece of appropriate maxima ultragreen tippet.

BTW - I have never used anything larger than 30#, and that only for butt end material; most is the 8-15# you already have.

3. No on the Korkers. studded wading shoes will provide more traction but are generally not allowed/recommended in both inflatable or hard bottom boats for obvious reasons. I generally use studded felt.

Quote Originally Posted by stevesch View Post
    3. No on the Korkers. studded wading shoes will provide more traction but are generally not allowed/recommended in both inflatable or hard bottom boats for obvious reasons. I generally use studded felt.
    2 of our days are on a raft trip. I have not studded my felts, but shoud I? Then again, I see the concern for the raft trip as we will be in inflatables. What are the rules concerning that? Should I have an extra pair of felts just for this trip?

Thanks everyone for the advise concerning the lines. I take it to heart.

Mark

You'll be fine with non-studded felts, especially if you use a wading staff, take your time, and just use common sense. The studded felts are sweet, but plenty of people (myself included) get by without studs.

Now, if you are looking for a reason to buy new gear (I'm very good at talking myself into new gear that I "need" ), then go with one of the new rubber soles and avoid felt altogether.

Throw your wading boots in the freezer for a few days before your trip up here. If you're going between major water systems in AK, wash thoroughly with hot soapy water. When you get back to MI, throw 'em in the freezer for another couple of days before you hit your local waters.

Alaska is not lacking in fly shops, especially along the road system. If you need a new line for some reason, you'll find plenty of options. I agree with bringing an extra rod in each weight (even if of lesser quality - it's better to have something than nothing).

I tie my own leaders, and I don't get too fancy.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Adjusted3 View Post
    2 of our days are on a raft trip. I have not studded my felts, but shoud I? Then again, I see the concern for the raft trip as we will be in inflatables. What are the rules concerning that? Should I have an extra pair of felts just for this trip?
    you don't get in rafts with studded boots period.

you don't absolutely need studs or extra felts or removable studs. You won't get into a raft or even a hardbottom boat with them because they puncture and/or mark the bottom. On rare occasions a guide may outfit the boat bottom with a surface to allow use of studs, but I've only seen that once.

I have unstudded felts for use on trips that involve rafts/boats.