Thread: shrimping

Default shrimping

I read that people run two or three pots to a line but when I read the regulations, I read that each pot requires its own individual line and float. What is the status of this? Also, while at the Portland Sportsman show, I purchased three shrimp pots that I now have a question about. They said that they were legal in Alaska but there again, in reading the regulations, I read that they need an escape mechanism within two inches of the bottom. The pots that I purchased are octagonal in shape and have four entrance openings. I tried to attach a couple of pictures but didn't suceed. It does have an escape hatch on the top with the cotton twine. The 4 openings are about 10 inches wide by 2 inches high and are three inches off the bottom. Any advice would be appreciated.

Never heard of the one pot/one line/one buoy reg. Are there different regs for different areas in AK regarding this topic?

Default Are you in ANC - Mat-su

If you can, I would take them over to the F&G on Raspberry and have them review one for you. They will break out the book and review each requirement with you. As noted the escape hatch is the area that gets some people in trouble. Also there is a certain kind of fabric that it must be tied with to meet the spec. No matter what the problem - they all should be easily fixable.

Do a search for Potbuilder and send him a PM. He can fill you in on all the info you need, plus rig you up with equipment and pots if you want.

Default Marking

You only need one bouy per set. So if all five are on the same line, you only need one bouy with the correct information on it. If you use five seperat sets, then all five bouys have to be marked.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by macushlah View Post
    I read that people run two or three pots to a line but when I read the regulations, I read that each pot requires its own individual line and float. What is the status of this? Also, while at the Portland Sportsman show, I purchased three shrimp pots that I now have a question about. They said that they were legal in Alaska but there again, in reading the regulations, I read that they need an escape mechanism within two inches of the bottom. The pots that I purchased are octagonal in shape and have four entrance openings. I tried to attach a couple of pictures but didn't suceed. It does have an escape hatch on the top with the cotton twine. The 4 openings are about 10 inches wide by 2 inches high and are three inches off the bottom. Any advice would be appreciated.
    The escape opening has to be 4x4 inches or bigger, the lower edge has to be parallel to and within 6 inches of the bottom of the pot, the opening may be covered with a single panel secured to the pot with no more than four single loops of untreated cotton twine no larger than 30 thread, each single loop of twine may contain only one knot and may not be laced along the opening. If you'd like pm me and if you want to you can bring the pots to my potbarn in Palmer and i know i can get them set up for you.
    As for buoys Dave said it right, one buoy per string.
    Steve the potbuilder

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Thanks for the info. After checking and re-reading, the pots I got are legal as the 4 entrances are approx 2" X 8" split into approx 2" squares and these are within 6" of the bottom. As far as the number of pots per string, residents may be able to do the multiple pot set-up as sustance fishing but under the sportfishing regs 5AAC 47.035 (F) it states one pot per line per buoy or am I missing something.

Thanks for the info. After checking and re-reading, the pots I got are legal as the 4 entrances are approx 2" X 8" split into approx 2" squares and these are within 6" of the bottom. As far as the number of pots per string, residents may be able to do the multiple pot set-up as sustance fishing but under the sportfishing regs 5AAC 47.035 (F) it states one pot per line per buoy or am I missing something.
    Here is the reg
    "A sport fisherman using pots to take shellfish shall plainly and legibly inscribe the fisherman's first initial, last name, and home address on a keg or buoy attached to each pot. A keg or buoy attached to a pot must also be inscribed with the name or the division of motor vehicles boat registration number, issued under 2 AAC 70, of the vessel used to operate the pot. "

Am I reading this wrong?

The way I read it it says each pot has to have a buoy attached with the correct information it doesn't say several can't be attached to the same buoy.

Default Believe me

Believe me what I stated. I have had my pots checked several times by F&G. I have also even been pulling them or getting ready to make a set and have been checked in person several times.

As long as the pots are legal, escape, mesh size and wall covering.... you are good. One buoy per set is all you need.

You shrimpers might want to check out a proposal to the Board of Fish to open a commercial season on shrimp in PWS. I know I know - it belongs on fisheries management but you might not check there.

I don't think a 2x8 opening will make a fish cop happy The way i understand it the opening must be 4x4 or larger.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I don't think a 2x8 opening will make a fish cop happy The way i understand it the opening must be 4x4 or larger.
    I agree with Potbuilder. Using the logic that 2X6 is a good as 4X4, then you could also say that 1/8" X whatever" is ok. I don't think it's the overall surface area so much as how big the opening would have to be to allow whatever was able to get into the pot to able to get back out.

Default 2X6

A 2 x 6 opening is not legal. It has to be 4 X 4 or larger. There is also a specific way to tie the door shut if you use one. If you just close the opening with rotten cotton, it can only be tied at each end and not looped around the sides of the opening. The whole concept is for the shrimp to be able to swim away if the pot is lost.

I haven't looked at the sport fish regs lately, but I do know the regs for resident's "Personal Use" are often different than sport fishing.

This is one of those questions that will have varied answers in different GMU's (regions). I would call the ADF&G office for where you're going to be (if I remember, you're cruising the Inside Passage, call the F&G office here in Douglas... then FOLLOW THAT UP with a call to the Alaska State Troopers in the area... they're the ones who will ultimately "interpret" the F&G laws and write (or not) you a ticket.

Happy Alaska Travels!
    -Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]