Thread: Magpie with deformed beak

Default Magpie with deformed beak

I just saw a magpie out my office window here in Eagle River. The bird's beak was deformed in a similar manner to pictures I have seen of some different species of birds here in Alaska--the top half and bottom half were both quite long, and curved toward each other, so they literally overlapped by at least 3/4". I keep a 10X50 binocular handy, so I got a good look at the bird, from about 50 feet away.

I haven't personally seen any other birds with this characteristic. Is it quite uncommon?

Best Regards,
    Jim

There is a problem going around concerning that. If you see it next time take a pic and send it to the bottom of this site:

http://alaska.usgs.gov/science/biolo...scription.html

Quote Originally Posted by midnightsunfun View Post
    I just saw a magpie out my office window here in Eagle River. The bird's beak was deformed in a similar manner to pictures I have seen of some different species of birds here in Alaska--the top half and bottom half were both quite long, and curved toward each other, so they literally overlapped by at least 3/4". I keep a 10X50 binocular handy, so I got a good look at the bird, from about 50 feet away.

I haven't personally seen any other birds with this characteristic. Is it quite uncommon?

Best Regards,
    Jim
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.