Thread: Yamaha FX Nytro - Worth the 4-stroke?

Default Yamaha FX Nytro - Worth the 4-stroke?

I have been avoiding the 4-stroke craze but Yamaha seems to have done all the homework on this sled. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by akfish73 View Post
    I have been avoiding the 4-stroke craze but Yamaha seems to have done all the homework on this sled. Does anyone have any experience with them?
    ask Mr. Pid his honest opinion, and dont let him tell you all the fluff!

Bought a Nytro MTX back in December. It is a good sled but heavy. Lots of power and I think the Nytro trail sled would be awesome. The only complaint about the mountain version is it is quite a bit heavier than a 2 stroke. Everyone says you don't notice, but in the powder you will. On the trails the Nytro is extremely comfortable. I'd say for a mtn sled try one out first, but for a trail sled it would be tough to go wrong with the Nytro. Haven't had it long enough to comment on the longevity of the engine or maintenance. Main reason for buying was I was tired of my 2 strokes breaking down and I figured this would be a more reliable machine.

I have a Mt. Vector and love the power of the Yamaha four stroke. I have a hitch on it and can tow very heavy loads like nothing. The Vector tunnel is really strong. Yamaha over builds their sleds yes they weigh more. Nytros are very sporty should ride great and last many years. They have fuel injection and ten more hp. than older Vector/Nytros. I would love to have a new Nytro it is the way to go.

Default Keep in mind....

They don't like to start when it gets cold. And yes they are HEAVY. This is not the sled for me because I spend 70% of my time off trail. But the 4 stroke yammy engines are very reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd_hntr View Post
    They don't like to start when it gets cold.
    I thought that was the ski doo 4 strokes more than it was the yammer 4 strokes.

Quote Originally Posted by upstream View Post
    I thought that was the ski doo 4 strokes more than it was the yammer 4 strokes.
    I don't know if either one is all the great in the extreme cold. I do know that we had to drag a friend of mines Nytro into a Cabin in the whites last winter to get it to start. Where as my 2 stoke fired right up. Not sure what the temp was over night but the thermometer said it was -30ish when we tried to start it. Battery just wouldn't crank it over. However he didn't have to bring any extra gas. Im not a big fan of the doo 4 stokes either, just too much weight in the front end. Take a shovel where ever you go because there is not man handling them out of a hole. I sure like how the Yammy run thought, great trail sled, comfy, quiet and tons of power. Great on gas too.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd_hntr View Post
    I don't know if either one is all the great in the extreme cold. I do know that we had to drag a friend of mines Nytro into a Cabin in the whites last winter to get it to start. Where as my 2 stoke fired right up. Not sure what the temp was over night but the thermometer said it was -30ish when we tried to start it. Battery just wouldn't crank it over. However he didn't have to bring any extra gas. Im not a big fan of the doo 4 stokes either, just too much weight in the front end. Take a shovel where ever you go because there is not man handling them out of a hole. I sure like how the Yammy run thought, great trail sled, comfy, quiet and tons of power. Great on gas too.
    Thx Byrd.

I'd heard that Yamaha got it right with the 4 strokes in the sleds when compared to Ski Doo, but didn't have any personal experience either way. A friend is considering a Nytro and asked if I'd heard anything, and what I said in this post was about all I'd ever heard and told him. So thanks for the heads up.

Default Nytro MTX Mileage

Big Lake to Skwentna to Deshka...
    140.5 GPS miles...NOT machine odometer
    8.8 gals of gas...16.0 mpg, 0.00 oz of oil.
    avg speed 34 mph...28,568 miles to next valve adjustment.

All three '05 Vectors Mt parked over night outside, on the eve of last years Iron Dog started just fine...it was -32F at my house at the north end of Big Beaver Lake...and you can look that up.
    Natural Selection begins with you!

60 miles back on the REX trail -40 tarped over night after running and my cousins Apex mountain started immediately. My AC 800 1m fired up easy enough after a couple slow pulls to get things turning. I do love that AC betteryless efi!!

I do most all my riding off trail. It is heavy but if your experienced and understand what your riding you will love it. If your new to riding going with an apex.

Default Yamaha 4 stroke starting

There are many little tricks to be learned in starting 4 strokes in the cold. Iridium spark plugs, synthetic oil, catalytic heaters and the usual circulating heaters, oil tank heaters, hauling small generators etc. It's really a question as to whether you're willing to accomodate the shortcomings of 4 strokes starting in the cold. If you are, I think you'll be
    pleasantly surprised at the advantages of 4 strokes.
    just my .02
    sbsmith

Thumbs down 09 Nytro

A friend of mine bought a Brand new FX Nytro from Ak fun center. He loved it and raved about it until we were tooling around going up and down the river. he stopped in about 8" of powder. Dont know what he was doing but when he went to leave the clutch wouldnt engage. It didnt matter how high he revved it up it wouldnt engage. Keep in mind this is a brand new sled and it had been warmed up for about 35 minutes. Well after it finally decided it wanted to engage he took it back up to the cabin and looked it over. Couldnt find much of anything. so he went to start it again and it wouldnt start. It got an error code 43. (I believe it's a fuel pump issue) After about the 20th time of trying to start it the fuel pump kicked on and it started. He immediately took it back to the trailer and loaded it. We got back home and went to drive it in the garage and it wouldnt start, once again it had error code 43. He took it to the ak fun center and looked it over. He said they didnt change anything so im not sure if i would trust it again, but he went out last weekend to Summit. I havent talked to him as to how it did. I know its not my sled but im dissappointed in it.

Not so sure you can judge a whole line of machines by just a few bad experiences. Fact is, if you make THOUSANDS of somthing, some of them are going to have problems. Ride one, see if you like it!!

Quote Originally Posted by akfish73 View Post
    . Does anyone have any experience with them?
    I agree that you cant judge all of them based on one sled, however if I just spent $8K on a new sled and it had problems i wouldnt be happy at all. Also he asked if anyone had experience with them, so thats my experience.

I have one. I've laughed at all the comments made by guys who don't. You want the truth? The motor is awesome. It starts great in the cold. The motor is the shining star on the Nytro. Sadly the chassis isn't up to the standard set by the motor. I've had lots of machines where I could've used more power to maximize the sled. With the Nytro I have lots of motor but need better handling to use it.

Default I have to agree with all the Pros...

that everyone is saying here, & call me bias, cuz I own the Rage GT...Powerful, starts great in cold weather, & can pull heavy loads like nothing...yes, it is heavy, & I have gotten stuck, twice, but wasn't anything too bad as I've even got stuck with a 2stroke (but was easier to get out), but hey...nothings perfect...

Default Mostly love my 4 stroke.

I have had a Vector Mtn for 2 seasons. I have a love hate relationship with it. (80% love 20% hate) It starts like a new car, even in very cold weather, runs perfect every time, has gobbs of power, can climb as steep as I'd ever want to go. On trail the suspension is great, handles well, and gets great gas mileage.
    The only negative for me is how it does in deep powder for playing in swamps. It floats ok in the deep (I've never gotten it stuck...knock on wood) but it's just alot of effort to play around in the deep stuff. It can be a bit tippy, and it's alot of work to balance the thing because of the weight.
    The Nytro is upposed to be better as far as where the weight is and how the sled is balanced (so feels lighter and easier to handle in powder). I am looking to move to a Nytro as soon as I can afford one.

I have a nitro, best machine ever, great mileage, adjustable suspension, and lots of powerm cant beat it.