Thread: Suzuki Cons????

Default Suzuki Cons????

Does anyone have any cons about the new suzuki four strokes? I am thinking of upgrading to a new 225hp and have only heard pros about the new suzuki's. So far I haven't heard anything negative. If you can think of anything, I'd like to here it. I also hear good things about Peninsula Power Sports (Local Suzuki Dealer) which is where I will have it installed and serviced.

I guess that answers my question...... No takers, my decision has been made.

I have heard great things about them as well. I was actually considering one in the 140 class for my boat. I talked to my builder (wooldridge) and they said that would not be a good fit because the 140 uses a gear reduction system which does not work well in jet applications. I don't know about the 225 and I imagine that you are looking at a prop configuration so this would not apply.

Thanks for the tip LuJon but yeah, I am looking into a prop...

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I have heard great things about them as well. I was actually considering one in the 140 class for my boat. I talked to my builder (wooldridge) and they said that would not be a good fit because the 140 uses a gear reduction system which does not work well in jet applications. I don't know about the 225 and I imagine that you are looking at a prop configuration so this would not apply.
    LuJon, Not to steal this thread, but I have that motor on a 20' X 60" riverboat, I spoke to Wooldridge about building a stretched Alaskan, basically 2-1/2 foot longer. They would be glad to do it but recomended I look at a AKII for better load hauling, no mention was made of that motor being a less than ideal choice for a jet pump. I already had the motor and maybe they didnt want to discouage me?
    I bought a diffrent boat as I did not want the wide hull and felt the 140 may not be enough motor for the AKII. Others have told me they are great motors but a little slower w/ a jet. I dont have enough experience to know for sure. Anyway my personal experience has been really good so far, the gear reduction allows the use of the big pump. The boat will run about 35 flat out, its on step with a light load under 4 seconds and I have had 2000 pounds in the boat and still only burn a hair over 6 GPH at close to 30 MPH. I am pretty happy with that. I am sure there are others with a jet pump on this motor, it would be interesting to hear what they have to say.

Here is an excerpt from the response I got from them regarding using th 140 on my 53" wooly AK 17.5'
    The USCG rating is based on what it says on the cowling.
    90% of the time, that means the HP rating is from the Powerhead and not the
    Jet unit. But there are a few motors out they call "Jet Ready" and they
    display the HPon the cowling based on its actual jet rating, not from the
    Powerhead.

Personally I like the Etec 115HP for a few reasons, first, it is a lighter
    weight boat ( and in a jet boat, ever bit of weight and it's location
    changes the attitude of the boat.) Second, the E-Tec has a greater power
    curve. The Suzuki 140 have a gear reduction that does not benefit when set
    up with a jet unit. But is a great set up when running a prop motor.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Here is an excerpt from the response I got from them regarding using th 140 on my 53" wooly AK 17.5'
    Interesting for sure, My personal experience w/ outboard jets is rather limited to the two boats and motors I have owned. It does make me wonder though, A fairly common setup is a Yamaha 115/80 and the Suzi is nearly identical weight w/ 20% more power?

I think it would be a better fit on the newer 60" wide models rated for 135HP.
    Anyone else out there have a suzuki with a jet?

I took a ride in a 20 ft boat this past weekend at the Miami Boat Show with 2 175 4-stroke Suzuki behind it. They were very smooth, quiet and powerful. I was impressed.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I have a 140hp 4 stroke suzuki jet on a 22' sled built by gary at greatland,i could have not asked for a better motor....look at the spec sheet,i think you would be very happy...

Default 250 hp

I have recently repowered with a Suzuki 250. I have nothing but good things to say. Very pleased with the economy, both fuel and cost.

Default Oh Man

That picture is sure making winter long errrrrr

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/