Thread: Places to rent a vehicle without a credit card?

Default Places to rent a vehicle without a credit card?

Question...I've always expected to need a credit card to rent a vehicle. I went to my bank this morning and asked about getting a secured visa for just that purpose. It turns out they don't offer them. Surprised me.

So, does anyone know of a place in Anchorage where I could rent a vehicle without a credit card? I'm Ok putting down a goodly deposit, if required. If necessary, I could open an account at another bank here to get the visa, but I'd rather not go to the trouble if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance for responses.

Rick

If you have a debit card, that is all you need.

I don't know of any rental comps that will take cash only.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Upinak, thanks for replying. I am used to having to have a credit card or debit card for this, too.

I reckon I should have searched before posting this. Here is a place that doesn't require credit cards in Anchorage for car rentals.

http://www.24hourcarrental.com/

Cash deposits are accepted. Perhaps it will be useful to others, also.

Be VERY careful of places like this. You think you are going to get a decent car and come to find out you are renting a junker. There are a lot of little "places" like this in Anchorage and I would never reccomend them because I have heard of some horror stories. And sometimes you see these people on the side of the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickf View Post
    Upinak, thanks for replying. I am used to having to have a credit card or debit card for this, too.

I reckon I should have searched before posting this. Here is a place that doesn't require credit cards in Anchorage for car rentals.

http://www.24hourcarrental.com/

Cash deposits are accepted. Perhaps it will be useful to others, also.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Gossioii7

Cool This is a great article

This is a great article. I’m new to blogging but still learning. Thanks for the great resource.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

actually MOST rental agencies require a merchant CC . few will rent on JUST a visa/MC Bank check card. Payless is one of the few that will...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default CC

Never in my life have I been asked for a merchant credit card. Always used my visa. Go to Northrim,they have secured credit cards.

Quote Originally Posted by upinak View Post
    If you have a debit card, that is all you need.

I don't know of any rental comps that will take cash only.
    I would ask specifically about this (debit card). Some of the large rental companies require a credit card. The debit card won't do it. I had personal experience with this a few months ago.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

I wonder if there is a new policy around debit cards. We have always rented with our debit without issue.

I also had trouble trying to rent with a debit card a few months ago. Some companies will rent with the debit card if you are visiting and have a round trip airline ticket (at least that was what they told me), others want a card. I haven't used credit cards in years -hate the things-, but I finally sucked it up an got a secured card. My advise is to call the company you are planning on renting from and checking on their policy. Get it in writing to prevent suprises.

Default rental cars

I have rented cars with just a visa debt card in the past, but the problem is they may secure a large deposit also on your card and hold it until later. If you have lots of money in that account it may not be any problem. Many people may not have that extra 500 or more and later on when you go to buy lunch or whatever it may not work as that money is being held. I guess with a credit card they can always just charge it again if needed. Also beware that a lot of the rental cars have gps now and if they tell you to not take it somewhere like the denali hwy and you do they can hit you hard with the cost in the end. I've even heard they can know if you are speeding and will add a fine to your bill also. even if you didn't get pulled over for speeding. Just drive safe and keep it on the hard roads...Andrew