Thread: Well got my Hawken today! But a hiccup in the plan

Default Well got my Hawken today! But a hiccup in the plan

Well, I should have done my research. I have a .54 cal smoothbore barrel. I bought this hawken thinking that I could swap the barrel over. But alas! The hawkens channel is 1", the smoothbore barrel is 15/16"

Dang it.

But I will say this. That hawken is one beuty! Its got a pretty stock, The 1/66 roundball barrel, brass ramrod. Its got alot of heft and length. But it seems to just hang on target when shouldered.

Id post a pic but cant find a good background.

Happy with my new gun, but what to do with that smooth barrel?

I saw a 20 guage canoe gun that I might get for my scattergun needs. Its reall nice looking. 24" barrel, 13 3/4 LOP. I bet it would be nice carrying that around backing up the beagle.

Might have to send that smooth barrel down to the auction house!

Thumbs up

Congrats on the Purchase. These days spending can get tight. I decided to get a .45 TC instead of the 54? Not sure why at the last minute I changed my mind. The gun looks real nice, I never had a .45 before. I suppose black bear/Hogs/deer wont know the difference. I have lots to read up on and relearn. I have noticed you fellows on this site are aces with helping out. Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Well, I should have done my research. I have a .54 cal smoothbore barrel. I bought this hawken thinking that I could swap the barrel over. But alas! The hawkens channel is 1", the smoothbore barrel is 15/16"

Dang it.

But I will say this. That hawken is one beuty! Its got a pretty stock, The 1/66 roundball barrel, brass ramrod. Its got alot of heft and length. But it seems to just hang on target when shouldered.

Id post a pic but cant find a good background.

Happy with my new gun, but what to do with that smooth barrel?

I saw a 20 guage canoe gun that I might get for my scattergun needs. Its reall nice looking. 24" barrel, 13 3/4 LOP. I bet it would be nice carrying that around backing up the beagle.

Might have to send that smooth barrel down to the auction house!
    If that's the canoe gun I've seen (ALR site?), it's a really tempting dandy. No fear of me buying it out from under you, but if I was buying it would be high on my list.

Glad it turned out to be a great gun. Refresh my memory about your Hawken. Make, etc? Maybe we can spot a market for that smoothie barrel for you.

Yeah dont remind me about the spending. Had to clear out some undesirables to make the cash.

Brownbear, Its a T/C hawken.

That canoe gun I saw was at the traditional muzzleloader forum (muzzleloadingforum.com)

Yeah dont remind me about the spending. Had to clear out some undesirables to make the cash.

That canoe gun I saw was at the traditional muzzleloader forum (muzzleloadingforum.com)
    Ha, you're right. I was thinking about that site when I typed in ALR. It sure looks like a dandy. If it was a lefty, it wouldn't have been up there a day, though!

BTW-

I don't know if you're interested, but TGW has a Pedersoli double 20 on their site for $100 more than the canoe gun. It sounds like one of the older ones with fixed chokes (CYL and IC) rather than screw-ins. I'm sorely tempted but have decided to let it pass.

Default Smoothie

Matt;

Don't judge the smooth bore too harshly, it might be a sleeper. A LOT of smooth bored rifles were built back in the days when only black powder ruled. These are capable of decent accuracy and power. The advantage of the smooth bore is it could be used as a shotgun as well; you only carried one firearm for double duty;They also load faster than rifles.
    Smooth bores are of course capable of using minie style bullets, patched bullets and PRBs. Even muskets of the early 1800's were capable of good accuracy at 80 yds or so, with sights you might do much better.
    I do see where it might have been a shock tho.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

You might have misread my post there. I do have a smooth barrel, just no gun to put it on. I thought the gun I bought would accept the smooth barrel.

I like the smooth barrel. Its accounted for a rabbit already! But the stock and lock that was on it I sold.

That canoe gun I was talking about is a smooth bore 20 guage. That oughta be sweet. I think Im gonna get it.