Thread: 1975 Fiberforn 24' HELP PLEASE

Default 1975 Fiberforn 24' HELP PLEASE

Im stuck on the slope and an add was placed on craigslist that seems like a great deal. I know my fair share about boats but have never bennin on or owned a Fiberform.
    If anyone would care to view the add http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/1031538399.html

Any sugg. Info , or comments would be great!

Thanks
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

I have never liked working on outdrives or twin inboard engines (no room), but at that price, if they fail you put a bracket on the back and load on twin outboards. I have never owned a Fiberform but I like the flying bridge and it looks in good shape. I wonder how long it will last on CL.

Default I wonder the same thing

I just got to the slope today! I've been off for three weeks and been looking at boats every day. Just my luck!
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Default Volvo AQ131 ????

Take it from an old Volvo marine parts guy - You want to be very careful with those motors. The last I knew replacement parts were starting to become an issue, and if you ever had to replace an cooling manifold you better have an American Express card with no limit. I would contact Andy at Noah Marine and discuss these motors in great length with him. He has a long history of working on those motors. Another good contact might be Jerry at Seward Heavy Industrial - in Seward. Good luck - other than that it sounds like it might be a nice boat.
    Just remember - those motors could be coming up on 30yrs old.

The 131 is still easy to find parts for. You are thinking of the saltwater cooled 130. I have a 1976 24 foot fiberform cuddy. It's a very nice boat. It also has twins with 280 outdrive. Just upgraded to twin 141's this winter. They are nice capable boats. I'd find out if it has dual steering stations as using the flybridge all the time would get old quick. Looks like a decent boat for a decent price. I'm dumping money into the boat because I love the hull design. Rides very well in the waves and can take a beating. It's also very heavy though. If you have any other questions about them shoot me a personal message on here. I have a fairly extensive collection of parts. I'd also double check and make sure that they are 131's as I'm fairly certain they weren't an option for that year. They could have been upgraded at one time. Oh yeah, with the twin 130's, I was burning 10 gallons an hour completely loaded at cruising speed. That's with 6 adults and a hull full of fish. I didn't think that was too bad. It wasn't the fastest with the props I was running but it got me out.

To be realistic, do you want to get out on water and enjoy the summer, or spend all your free time and money working on your boat? Been there, done that.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

That's great, except not everyone has 40K$ to spend on a boat. I'd rather work on my boat now and again than have payments all year.

Quote Originally Posted by motorboatn View Post
    Im stuck on the slope and an add was placed on craigslist that seems like a great deal. I know my fair share about boats but have never bennin on or owned a Fiberform.
    If anyone would care to view the add http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/1031538399.html

Any sugg. Info , or comments would be great!

Thanks
    I like those boats. They ride nice and they are fairly economical. A number of people think that there hulls are nearly indestructable and I am sure that if you get one before the late 70s and 80s glass problems, you will enjoy it a lot. My neighbor has one an loves it. I don't know if it is a 24 footer or a little larger. I don't think I would mind having one at all, but I like tinkering with stuff.....It could be a great deal. Either way, it is worth looking at. Have a great night!

Quote Originally Posted by AKBroncoII View Post
    That's great, except not everyone has 40K$ to spend on a boat. I'd rather work on my boat now and again than have payments all year.
    I bet Jay wishes (like I do) that is all he spent on boats......but he and I are litterally in the same boat and quite happy about it Your right though, you have to buy a boat that is right for you. And like many folks in here, for many years the ocean boat that was right for me was no boat. I totally hear you....

What I was tying to convey is, when you see a 35 year old 24’ boat selling for the price of a new 75hp outboard you’d better be prepared to open your wallet and role up your sleeves...
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Default Fibreforms

A friend had a 70's vintage Fibreform a while back and it turned out to have steel fuel tanks - very bad in a gasser! Check out the tanks.

Default Steel Fuel Tanks

They do have steel fuel tanks - unless they have leaked (like many have) and have been changed. They are almost impossible to change out without tearnig the whole floor boards out.

Mine has a removeable section of the floor for the fuel tank. It's been replaced already but it wouldn't be hard if it needed done again as it only has maybe 30 small screws holding a panel in.