Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why local dealers suck!

Default Why local dealers suck!

First, our local dealership in Anchorage wanted to charge me $70 dollars for ONE rear boot. With labor they wanted $300 to change out two. They told me it would take three weeks for the boot to come in. Bought em from Gorilla for 20 and they were here in 3 days. I swapped the news one myself in about an hour and I never did it before.
    Now I decide to replace the rear diff fluid as the old is already drained out as I replace the boots.
    Called the local dealership and they do not have the rear diff fluid in stock and says they will have to order it special for me! These dealerships are killing themselfes. I do not understand why they do not keep basic items in stock. And they wonder why we order online, it is because we are forced to.
    Thanks for permitting me to vent!

Default 'Im with you

Snowwolfe,

I run a atv business and everytime I need parts the Min. is 2 weeks anywhere in the state.Just for the simplest things like rings , head gaskets ....I ask why they do not carry these parts their answer is , ( I don't know), It pi$$es me off and I tell them about it .I even contacted the Yamaha main office , They told me I can order dierct But said no thank you The reason I said that (2 weeks to get partsfrom main warehouse) I found a site online if anybody has yamaha's and they give you a 20% discount if you order online they even have a parts page and "THE PRICES" and 5-7 days to get parts.And if anybody owns ARGOS let me know I have a place to get bearings cheap $12 vs $38 at the argo dealer.

http://www.powerpartsplus.com/pages/home/default.aspx

Thanks for venting , I needed that also ,Since I ordered parts to rebuild one of my 2005 bruins from the dealer this summer in Wasilla and after 4 tries and 3 1/2 weeks they got the right parts.

I feel a little better now

I feel your pain. My dealer carries spark plugs, oil filters, some oil, and a belt here and there.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

I put my Honda 400 Rancher GPScape in the shop 2 weeks ago come this Monday to have them check on why it was stuck in ESP mode and would not manually shift while in ESP mode. Still haven't heard a thing back from them. I'm going down on Wednesday and taking it home no matter what condition it is in.

Default Kow why ???

Allen
    It's still there because they had to order the how to fix manual , And Snowwolfe and I know how long that takes (2 WEEKS) ....

It sounds like you guys have a business opportunity right in front of you. If you can do a better job, why don't you?

Easier said than done. I do not have the several million needed for land and the building or the other start up costs to compete. Plus I doubt Suzuki would franchise another dealer in the same town.

You mean building and operating a business is hard? Imagine that.

*****ing sounds much easier.

It isnt hard if you do it properly. I own my own business and I know how to treat customers. I keep in stock what they need. If I do not have it I will special order it and offer then a discount.

Default C'mon guys

What the heck, guys. This forum is the place to kick and moan, I mean c'mon. Last week someone posted about being tired of ATV opinions, huh? What's the point if you can't do so here?
    These guys are venting about poor service in the hopes that someone has something or someplace of merit to post and recommend to make things better!~
    The fact is some dealers pour very little money back into stocked repair parts and therefore the little guy suffers. Thats simply bad business.
    To be fair, other dealers--I know some!!--are excellent and try to carry the little things that we need to maintain our bikes, boats etc.
    Reed's snowmachine and marine has always had the stuff I need for my Merc boat motors. Hes been a good guy, and a good place to do business. He's always been there for advice too. And he knows full well that if I'm fixing my own stuff its money he won't see. +1 Reed's.

Its tiresome to hear fellas beating on other posters just for opining and even venting. jmo.

Roger thanks for your "inside" insights and link.

fk

The Alaska Outdoors Directory. Where women are women..... and a lot of men are, too.

Carry on, girls.

2 Weeks for parts??? ***???

I totaled the right rear brake caliper on my Arctic Cat which then rolled up and punched a hole from the inside in my brand new aluminum rim. I made a field repair and limped it back out 12 miles to my truck. This was on a Sunday off the Denali Highway.

Took the quad to my dealer, Alaska Mountain Magic, south of Talkeetna on Monday A.M. Parts were covered under warranty and since damage was discovered to other parts they were ordered too. Two new brake calipers, one brake disc, one complete rear hub assembly, and a new rim were ordered as well as new bearings and seals. Parts were ordered on Monday a.m., parts arrived Thursday A.M. of the same week. The quad was reassembled and I had it back on Friday..five days after it broke. Now that is service!!

Unfortunately some parts are just plain backordered at the factory, but I have yet to wait more than one week for parts for my Cat wheelers or sleds from Alaska Mountain Magic. If the Cat factory doesn't have them, Tim or David will call other Cat dealers and find them.

Alaska Mountain Magic isn't perfect, and I know some folks that have had issues at times with them, but Cat parts come fast and A.M.M. doesn't fart around when ordering them.

Its not just 4 wheelers guys, I am convinced that many Alaska businesses are just tax write offs after they fail! I too owned my own business and what makes GREAT customers is good service. I have felt at times in businesses in the Interior that me being there with my checkbook in hand am actually more of a nuisance than a potential customer/profit. Its amazing! But I willsay that they are not all that way. Theres a little Honda dealership in a small town south of Fairbanks, nestled on the Delta River that does provide great service and great prices. I had a routine service done on my Foreman a couple months ago and the guys were great they didn't just do what I asked (adjust the valves) they went above and beyond and did 2 or 3 other things without me even asking, and I know your not going to believe this but they didn't charge me any extra! Unbelievable.

Thumbs down Anyone else notice the double standard?

Or is it just me? Your stance in this atv thread parralels your large inboard wake problem comments. Well, back at ya. If you dont like the wakes do something about it and MOVE!

Carry on sister........

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    You mean building and operating a business is hard? Imagine that.

*****ing sounds much easier.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Its not just 4 wheelers guys, I am convinced that many Alaska businesses are just tax write offs after they fail! I too owned my own business and what makes GREAT customers is good service. I have felt at times in businesses in the Interior that me being there with my checkbook in hand am actually more of a nuisance than a potential customer/profit. Its amazing! But I willsay that they are not all that way. Theres a little Honda dealership in a small town south of Fairbanks, nestled on the Delta River that does provide great service and great prices. I had a routine service done on my Foreman a couple months ago and the guys were great they didn't just do what I asked (adjust the valves) they went above and beyond and did 2 or 3 other things without me even asking, and I know your not going to believe this but they didn't charge me any extra! Unbelievable.

You find a good dealer just in time for you to move north, Roland. Aint that the way it always is? >chuckle<
    Well, its only 100 miles. Certainly worth the cruise for a quality shop.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    If the Cat factory doesn't have them, Tim or David will call other Cat dealers and find them.

Alaska Mountain Magic isn't perfect, and I know some folks that have had issues at times with them, but Cat parts come fast and A.M.M. doesn't fart around when ordering them.
    Doug ,

I will agree with you Tim and David are fast at getting things out and finding most parts , I go to them first if Tim says it going to take awhile then I go online. Alot of Cat parts fit my Yamaha's and if I can not fix it or do not have the time Tim takes care of it for me.

I may have to change Cat dealers. Eagle River Polaris ordered me a front bumper for my AC in July, still not in, 2 weeks ago I ordered a rubber drain plug (the one you pull to drain the belt housing) and it still isnt in.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    I may have to change Cat dealers. Eagle River Polaris ordered me a front bumper for my AC in July, still not in, 2 weeks ago I ordered a rubber drain plug (the one you pull to drain the belt housing) and it still isnt in.

There's the famous "2 Week" slogan
    I know Tim at Mt magic,Gets some of his AC parts from Northern Power sports in Fairbanks if he is in a bind . They carry alot of brands of atv parts

Here is their number Toll-Free: 800-478-1967

Default Differential Fluid

I don't know what the issue is with differential fluid. It should just be standard 75-90 fluid available anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    The Alaska Outdoors Directory. Where women are women..... and a lot of men are, too.

Carry on, girls.
    Thats really uncalled for Mr Pid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast