Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Musk Ox Mounts

Default Musk Ox Mounts

Was wondering if anyone out there has rugged out a musk ox? Head & all? A few web searches turned up nothing for pics. I am leaning towards a rug, but have yet to see one?
    Pictures of other mounts would be great from those successful in the past. Will help direct me in my decision & point me possibly to an alternate taxidermist.
    Maybe putting the cart in front of the horse, but I want my mind made up before I head North. Thanks.

I sure do!

I toss the head onto the pile, and make a rug outta most of my Ox hides.

Good and warm for the feet, or as a bed in a tent.
    I use a lot of willow wands between the ground and the skin, to keep air under the hide as well. It keep the moisture from building, and adds a layer of dead air for insulation.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Stranger, how did I know you would say that! For us poor saps that have very limited chances to hunt Musk Ox, we have to make the most of our possible only opportunity. Not very pratical to fork over 3-5K every year to hunt an animial. 20+ dollars a pound for some marbled musk ox meat is pretty steep! I think I paid that much @ the "Double Muskie" one night for Red Stag?
    Still looken for pics of a rugged Ox with head attached. Thanks, Justin.

PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Roger, Thanks! May have to just go with a shoulder mount & tan the back half? Thanks again.

If you got the wall space , It's not that hard to face the head outward and still have the full body if you are worried about the floor space or do a half mount

Default iv'e mounted muskox rugs before

they are cool but if you put them on the floor they are easy to trip on with the long hair and the tips of the horns point straight up...you get the idea...not good for having kids around....goes nice on the wall though...i dont' have any pictures though...sorry
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Good thing you hunted this year, Justin. F&G wil take steps next season to drive all non local hunters away from here. Severe trophy destruction next year. Won't be any hunters leaving here with horns next year.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Ohhhhh, yaaaaa, I got a Rug picture...

My Oldest with an Ox he brought home......a three year old female, I think it was...FAT and TENDER , steaks cut with a fork...Mmmmmmm.

Couldnt help that

Stranger, very nice! It looks a heck of lot better than the one on the Taxidermy web page. A bit more of a real life look to it.
    MT, I was afraid Tier II would go that way but it makes sense to me. Still be great if the draw stays open on the same basis.
    Anyone w/ some shoulder mount pics?

Way cool picture, there, Roger!

The boss on those horns are rather unusual, compared to our Northern Seward pennensula Kinda Horns.....they look almost "Cow" in shape, but way big for a Cow.

Ours have horns like this;

Is that one Canadian??

Man thats NICE

Roger, those are reproduction horns. Not real in my opinion.

Default Where to get a mount

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Was wondering if anyone out there has rugged out a musk ox? Head & all? A few web searches turned up nothing for pics. I am leaning towards a rug, but have yet to see one?
    Pictures of other mounts would be great from those successful in the past. Will help direct me in my decision & point me possibly to an alternate taxidermist.
    Maybe putting the cart in front of the horse, but I want my mind made up before I head North. Thanks.
    I'm not sure if you have seen the new Hunt Alaska Mag, although Tundra Tanning and Taxidermy has a photo in there of one. there number is 907-892-4415 should you wish to go meet and look at there photo book of mounts. The ox in the photo is not mine, although the goat is. Good luck and congratulations on your hunt.

It's not tier II, Justin. The unit 22 is a tier I hunt. It is open to all Alaska res. It is still a "subsistence" hunt, but under state regs all Alaska res. are recognized as subsistence hunters. Unfortunately, despite the subsistence designation, the bio here has labelled non locals and some locals as "trophy" hunters and thus wants to use a severe trophy destruction to discourage these so called trophy hunters from hunting in what is now about 1/3rd of the area open to hunting.
    Non locals can still come and hunt, they'll just have to find other means to get horns for a mount if they want that option.

Didn't that used to be strictly a Tier II hunt just a few years ago? It limited it to locals that used the resource more? If they are going to destroy the trophy value they should just go back to it & leave a limted draw for those hoping for a chance @ more than just 22+ lb musk ox steak?
    Will check out the AK Hunting magazine. Thanks

Im in unit 23. It was teir 2 untill this last year, when they decided that there were enough Ox to hunt for the whole state.
    A 22Lb steak would be pretty big!! Lots of those on an Ox.
    Even when the #s were small, they would still chop your horns if you left with them.

The Feds also have a hunt, and I was excluded in '01 ,or 02because I was nonNative, even though I lived right smackthere, and the Park service guy was right there holding harvest tickets to give to Natives only..some were for people who had called months earlier to have him Hold them for them. They were supossed to be given "First come first serve" and I was second in line for the 6 or 7 that year, then right there, Even worse,The guy did give a Harvest ticket to a guy who flew up from Sitka that year , hunted and and flew off. I blew that one back up the Park services Butt, though they did nothing at all about it.

The State is a better, unprejudiced hunt. To me, the Meat is the Trophy, so I just have a pile of usless skulls.....

I Messed up & ment to say 22$ a lb for Ox steak. Bum deal!! I bet you were just thrilled to dealth? I am sure they will get a handle on it in the next few years. Things do not happen over night on a State or Federal level.

Thumbs up Mine

It took awhile, I can never find stuff in my puter.

Knights taxidermy. The other half I made into a rug for the back of the couch. Nice.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default Beautiful

Nice pics. If you want to see a rug up close, Arctic Fox taxidermy in Wasilla has one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast