Thread: Bennett Auto Trim Control

Default Bennett Auto Trim Control

Does anyone have one of these?

Bennett Auto Trim Control

Once the Zero point is set all you do is turn it on and it maintains that trim.

Setting the Zero Point. After installing the system, take your boat for a test run. When underway, use the manual trim tab control to get your boat running at the best running attitude. Press and hold both “Set Zero” buttons (Sun and Moon Buttons) on the ATC Keypad (about 4 seconds) until the blue LED flashes rapidly. After the LED is flashing, release the buttons. Your boat’s attitude is now set in the memory.

The problem I see, at least from my experience, is you would have to re-set the Zero Point quite frequently for different sea states and speeds.

With that said, I think it would take a lot of the guess work out of maintaining optimal trim once you get use to it, especially for long trips at constant speeds.

I’m sure there’ll be lots of speculation amongst use and that good, but sure would be great if someone here has actual real-world experience.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

I helped my dad install one of these on his Bayliner about 10 years ago. It never really worked as advertised. It seemed like it was always over correcting for the changing sea conditions changes in throttle and engine trim. He tried making it work for a season, but in the end he just stopped trying to use it. It was about the only gadget he added to the boat that he regretted buyiing. Now all that being said, this was a awhile ago, and Bennett may have made improvents to the product since then. Hopefully someone with some more recent experience will chime in.

Thanks,

Had no idea these controls have been around so long.
    Others over on the C-brat forum have given positive reviews with the exception of one who lives here. I’m wondering if cold water slows down the tabs to the point they can’t compensate fast enough; they seem to work great for the guys down in Florida and California.
    Hopefully someone else will chime in with their experience.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

More electronic junk to break down. Spend the money on more horsepower !! that will take care of most trim problems Jay i've got oversize tabs on the bowpicker and most of the time i just leave them all the way down. See ya at one of the shows this spring i hope.
    Steve

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Steve,
    Always appreciate no nonsense advice, hope to see you at the Great Alaskan Sportsman show. Will be picking up a couple more pots and some of those tasty shrimp nuggets.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Default Bennett Auto Trim system

I'll tell you up front, this is a plug for my system. I have a competing auto trim tab system that I think is better, and I'll explain why.

The Bennett Auto Tab system is a pretty good system. It works as advertised. You set the running attitude of your boat, and then, using a 3 axis accelerometer, it will move the tabs to maintain that attitude. This means it will maintain the pitch (fore and aft) that you set, and it will maintain the list (side to side) to keep the boat level. This is OK, but not optimum in a couple ways. The biggest problem is when you make a turn. A boat HAS to list when it is turning at speed. Unfortunately, the Bennett system has no way of knowing what caused the list, so, using the tabs it will try to correct it. This causes the boat to stop turning, causing the operator to add more rudder to keep the turn. Then, when the turn is complete, The rudder is returned until the boat runs straight. At this point, the tabs are set to correct a non-existent list, so the rudder is not returned to amidships before the boat straightens out. You are now running with the tabs trying to turn the boat one way, and the rudder trying to turn it the other way. This is very inefficient. The other problem is pitch. With the Bennett system, you set the pitch where you want the boat to run. If you’re fuel mileage conscious, you’ll probably want the pitch set at the most efficient attitude. This attitude may vary depending on the water conditions. The Bennett system has no idea how fast or how efficient the boat is running.

My system (SmartTrim, www.SmartMArineTechnologies.com) receives GPS data from your GPS. This tells SmartTrim when the boat is turning (based on heading readings) so it does not correct list during turns. It also knows the boat’s speed, and can make very small corrections to the tabs to get the best possible speed for a given throttle setting. For example, while cruising, it will move the tabs down ever so slightly. If the speed increases, it will move them down a little more. If the speed decreases, it will move the tabs up slightly. It will continue to do this until it finds the optimum setting. Whenever the speed changes (throttle movement, current change, etc.) it will go through this tuning process again.

We’re still in the process of setting up the purchase section on the web page. It’s not quite there yet. If you want more information, or are interested in buying a SmartTrim, email me at jemateer@yahoo.com. SmartTrim retails for $650.00 and works with standard Bennett Trim tabs (not Auto tab).

I see what your saying with regard to making a turn and having the unit try to correct for trim. The SmartTrim looks like a better widget indeed, for a good chunk of change.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.