Thread: Cabelas Outfitter Yukon vs Guide series tent

Default Cabelas Outfitter Yukon vs Guide series tent

Hey all,
    Am looking into getting one of these two tents and wondering if any of you have experience with either one?

Will be using it in places such as the North Slope and down on the coast during a the spring brown bear hunt.

I don't have much experience with a 6 person tent but have been told these are pretty sturdy and hold up to the elements well. Noticed the Outfitter Series Yukon tent was on sale so figured I would come here to see what you all have to say prior to any purchases.

Thanks
    Jason

I have not used the Cabelas Outfitter Yukon tent, however I have used my Cabelas Guide 6 man tent more times than I can count and it is still going strong. Nice tent, a man can stand in it and it has held up to the wind and rain that I have used it in. I would buy another without reservation.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Hunting partner bought the Cabelas 6 man guide tent before last Fall's SE Alaska Bear Hunt, performed great and plenty of room for 3 people and gear. I'm partial to my North Face V-45 but it is ok for two people with not lots of room for gear.

all i use are cabelas tents, i dont use the guide model, to heavy. i use the XPG four season orange tents, 6 man 4 man and the 2 man and love them all. THe outfitter series tents are great as well. For the money is hard to beat the cabela's tents.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Cabelas++++

I have a 6-man and a 4-man Cabela's guide tent. Both tents have served me very well. I expect to get many more years of service out of them both.

The 4-man is tight for three. The 6-man is a palace for three.

The new vestible is so great. If you buy one do not get one without the vestibule.

Happy buying

The Cabelas tents may be good, but I have heard varying reports. And at any rate, they are very, very heavy tents. My wife and I float arctic rivers each Fall and got a tent a few years back that is perfect in my opinion. It is the Black Diamond Guiding Light model. Tons of room for two, would work for three, and it weighs 5 lbs, is freestanding, and highly wind resistant. Super tough tent and I can't recommend it high enough. Easier to pack a few small tents, than one huge tent too. Just thought I would make the suggestion.

http://www.bdel.com/gear/guiding_light.php

Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I am glad that setup works well for you Dan. I just have a different approach. I really like my Cabelas 6 man guide model. I use it any chance I get, so basically when not having to haul it on my back. I would much rather setup up one tent and be done as opposed to two smaller tents. It would go up just as fast as two smaller tents setup with two people or 3 or 4 people setting up the 6 man tent. I also really like to be able to stand up in the tent if the weather turns sub par. Just a different approach to the same end.

Talking

I also have the cabela's 4 man Guide tent and have used it many times on fly in float hunts and on my hunts on Kodiak .
    They handle great with the winds Kodiak put them through.
    Will be over there again in April-may for a bear hunt .
    They are heavy for sure and so far the flights to the rivers we have went in on Helio craft so weight was not much of a factor except when you have to portage around log jams and then I would like a lighter tent !!!!

RR
    Last edited by RANGER RICK; 11-10-2009 at 15:05.
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Talking

If you have to portage much they get really heavy.

RR
    Last edited by RANGER RICK; 11-10-2009 at 15:07.
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

I will not suggest a 23 lb tent to anyone that I like, but I did see this "Yukon" is on sale now at Cabelas. In case you were considering it, thought I would make mention.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...458&hasJS=true
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Thumbs up Cabelas guide tent

Well here is my thots . I have owned a cabelas guide tent for four years now and I have no complaints. Yes true it is a heavy setup to backpack but it is very stout and I can say I have put it threw plenty test in all seseans. If you can put up with the extra weight you wil be more than plesed.

I'm another one with both the 4 and 6 man guide series. I decided to go with the aluminum poles for each of them. The 6 man is ideal for 3 adults with room to spare for some gear. I have used my 4 man for 5-6 years now without any problems. Only have about 5 trips with the 6 man but no issues yet.
    EricL

I believe the guide series changed significantly in 08. I used both the older and new in the Brooks Kotz and Ak penn areas. I think older version lasts longer new version is quicker to set up. Had to junk 3-4 of the new ones after fall bear 70 + mph wind broke fiberglass poles which led to further damages. I would upgrade the poles. We used the 6 and 8 man